'Sekiro' Makes Me Feel Unstoppable (Even When I'm Dying)

In Bloodborne and now Sekiro I’ve noticed the player character seems to have this weird wobble to their movement. Kind of like inflatable tube men? It’s so peculiar and I like it a lot. I don’t know if the other games have them but I did finish Demon’s Souls last year and the animation looked a lot stiffer in comparison.

I started replaying blood borne to get some practice in as far as the basic from software controls and such. Uh I die a bunch to regular enemies, but uh I beat cleric beast and papa g on my first attempt. Got that muscle reflexes still somehow.

I sorta feel like Bloodborne has an extremely rough opening if you’re rusty with souls stuff, and I’m still salty about it.

I’m so glad to have another From Soft game to be excited about, hoping the trend of From’s firsts feeling fresh continues. New world, new systems, new dangers, it’s the best feeling.
Judging from their writing and attention to weaving a narrative through world design and item placement, as well as characters speaking in very purposeful ways leads me to believe they can craft a compelling and/or interesting traditional narrative.
Though it remains to be seen if they succeed or even if they go for it that explicitly.

I feel like I’m definitely the minority on this, but I’m really excited by the prospect Soulslike combat and world/boss design with less emphasis on RPG leveling and builds. I’ve been playing through the series for the first time over the past few months, and while I mostly love the games, I’m constantly vacillating between mildly annoyed and actually frustrated with how often inconsequential yet sometimes extremely gating they (though less so with Bloodborne) can be with their stats.

Like I do get that these games are designed, in some sense, to be played several times. But I would like to be able to try different playstyles and weapons without dedicating over a hundred hours to redoing the same content (that’s not even mentioning how overlong some of them already are). I get that people appreciate the variety that comes with different builds, but they could have made respecing a norm rather than either impossible (1 and BB) or something you’re fairly limited in doing (3). Dark Souls 2 is the only one that gives you relative freedom with your stats after the fact, and its a better game for it.

Maybe more controversially, I also feel like the combat and especially boss design suffer from those systems, where a non-inconsequential number of encounters can be either insufferable or a cakewalk depending on a build. Soulslikes without leveling have never seemed to have that problem, because there’s less to balance around.

5 Likes

I mean there is that, but honestly one of my chief concerns is that the leveling system was part of the difficulty system in that game. Its one of my very few concerns still remaining with Sekiro, that theres a possiblity it could be too hard, with no systems but the “Get Good” remaining to solve it.

1 Like

Over-levelling can be fun in souls games but it does demonstrate a flaw in such systems, where you don’t know if it’s kicking your ass (or vice-versa) because the levels are mismatched or if you just need to perform better in combat.

I’m down for a straight up action game from From, while I love exploring I’ve also enjoyed engaging with the combat, especially since it’s never as combo-string focused as your average character action or fighting game.

Hope they have a way for newer players to get into it though, in the previous games there’s always the dynamic difficulty of finding a cool early sword or just putting a lot of points into hp and defence so I wonder if there’s gonna be a way to sort of ease up the more head-on challenges.

2 Likes

I just… really want a new ninja gaiden and tenchu and this looks like it’s as close as I’ll get to either.

1 Like

Yeah, this is a real fear for me too. My hope is that the stealth, mobility, and resurrection mechanics (plus the existence of real tutorials and a practice mode!!) are enough to bridge the gap there.

In the minority or not, it’s definitely something FromSoftware is excited about too, you can see them leaning into this direction in Bloodborne which has stats but more than any of their games besides Demon’s Souls you don’t really need to pay attention to them beyond the most basic “I use heavy stuff so I want more stamina and strength” kind of logic to be able to beat the game. Even the various armors in Bloodborne, so many of them do technically have different stats but may as well be the same thing so you can just wear what you think looks cool, it owns.

I’ve always respected From being willing to drop or heavily change the systems in stuff when they don’t think it’s working out, which is part of why I’m so hyped for this (and also yokai/Japanese horror stuff+ninja rope+clearly Dororo fans with the mechanical mythical Japan stuff/etc.). With the order their games came out in, I love Dark Souls 3 but it was the first, like, “I guess this is just kind of more of the same” for me.

Dark Souls II was so weirdly hated when it came out but I have to agree with you too regarding how the stats work. The combat in general in it is pretty much the best Dark Souls can do also. I do have to admit I wasn’t as crazy about the setting though. The amount of animal-person enemies made it feel a little more generic fantasy to me as it went on. The DLC rules though if you haven’t tried it yet.

I’m hoping Nioh 2 picks up the torch here. Nioh is stunning for their first action RPG kinda game and I loved it but a new Nioh with way less loot and more vertical movement would be my dream game.

I mean I guess my real dream game would be Otogi 3 with all that FromSoftware has accomplished and learned over the years. Has anyone here played the Otogi games? Incredible atmosphere and everything for the time and you feel so insanely powerful because so many of the levels have hordes of weak enemies in them even though they’re set up like a character action game. You’re really zipping all over the place in them and I like the subtle ways the different equipment effected you so that, like with Bloodborne you COULD just go with what you think looks cool but you could also min/max stuff if you’re into that. More games need a cool in-game bestiary like those games have.

With Sekiro, I mean if you have a grappling hook and all kinds of other gear, if the deliver on how they described a big part of it being observing and studying stuff before jumping into combat that would own. Part of why Thief is so amazing as an example is you have the exact same abilities a the end of the game that you have at the start of the game. You can buy more “ammo” for stuff in between levels but there’s no upgrades, XP, or whatever. But when a character is like that you can make meticulously designed levels since you don’t have to take into account different upgrades, or how “advanced” a level can be later in the game depending on what upgrades a character could or could not have. You can get really ambitious with it.

This is a really unusual kind of game to be coming out in 2019.

3 Likes

Oh I love Dark Souls 2. I really like how its combat feels like a midpoint between DS1 and Bloodborne speed-wise, and in terms of its world design I do love what it’s tries to do with weird spatiality and maybe sort of being set in purgatory? I’m literally finishing the DLC up right now, and for the most part I’ve really loved them (esp Ivory King). I’m not so sure about the optional third “we’re going to absolutely brutalize you” area and boss each of them had, but I’ve been enjoying the level design and the bosses are pretty fantastic. I beat the Burnt Ivory King last night and just sat there for a minute afterwards because that whole arc was so fantastic.

Edit: also, am I wrong or is the DLC usually the best part of each game? I’ve finished 1 and BB before this, and both Artorias and the Old Hunters were probably my favorite parts of those games. And I’ve heard similar things about The Ringed City, though I haven’t gotten to 3 yet.