'Sekiro' Transforms the Dark Souls Formula into Something New and Risky

This, but especially avoid being grabbed at all costs.

Speaking of being grabbed, I’m doing the Bad Ending bosses now: Fuck that grab attack.

I found my best bet of dodging those was just jump straight backwards and pray, and then save my firecrackers for the last bit because that fight is rough.

Yeah, I got that part down now, but I save my spirit emblems for shurikens to stagger them out of the Chaos Firestorm followup.

Made it to The Drunkard in Hirata (killing the Shinobi Hunter was pretty exciting even though I sort of hilariously never actually pulled off a Mikiri counter when I finally beat him) and decided to double back to Ashina for a bit, where I just ran into the Chained Ogre, who promptly mashed me into a fine paste. Working on figuring out his patterns now, but I find myself liking this more and more, even though I still think I’m pretty bad at the combat overall.

Early Game spoilers:

I finally managed to beat Genchiro yesterday! I was afraid of trying the lightning reversal, because I was too nervous. Once I regularly got to the third phase, I dared myself to do it and it ended up being the thing I needed to get that sweet, sweet final deathblow.

After that I went back to fight Massive Spear Guy in the Ashina Reservoir section and got much further than ever before, beating him after 12 more tries. I’m now trying to beat Lady Butterfly and find myself getting to her second phase with ease. Slowly but surely, I can feel myself getting better and it rules!

This is the first From Soft Game I can see myself beating. The main difference for me, seems to be the fcous on blocking, as apposed to dodging and managing a stamina-meter(that thing always made me super-anxious).

I am unreasonably proud of myself for finally beating Lady Butterfly after a few dozen attempts. I cheered out loud, because no one else was home. And then going on to defeat Oniwa (the horse guy) and the Blazing Bull. in two attempts each. There is definitely something to the way this game teaches you to be better.

Of course I’m at the same guy that Patrick writes about as being a wake up call, and while I can pull of the Mikiri counter just about every time, I’m struggling with the rest of that fight.

The Chained Ogre was my first significant roadblock. The main issue is his grab attacks have way too large of a reach, and they are often good for a one-hit kill, which just sucks. If you’re looking for tips on it, jumping is better than step-dodging away from his grab attacks, and while it may not seem like it, every other attack of his can be deflected for some solid poise damage. Also, hit him with oil, then the flame vent, and you’ll get an opening to hit him about 4-5 times.

I eventually gave up on trying to properly learn that fight, and just spammed the axe, with a few melee hits in between axe lunges. Kept him stunlocked for pretty much the whole fight.

So uh, here’s a fun thing I learned about today (spoilers for a late game fight with initials CM)

Summary

as shown in this youtube video, you can entirely skip the first 2 phases of the fight with stealth deathblows.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mD3pkn559qw

I KNEW those trees weren’t just so you can grapple back to safety if you fell off. Damn.

Damn, I knew about the middle phase but had no idea you could open the fight like that

Surprising nobody more than myself…I am playing Sekiro. My first From game after bouncing off Dark Souls a while back.

I’m actually enjoying it, though I did get my ass handed to me multiple times by that first general, which probably doesn’t bode well.

I can’t believe this. I did this entire fight straight up haha. I still consider it one of my favorite fights in the entire game probably because of it.

Hey I’ve got a spoilerific question about Japanese culture/mythology:

I’ve encountered the idea of a sect of people who intentionally ingest parasites to gain power in the Japanese tabletop game Tenra Bansho Zero, including giant centipedes that come out of your body to attack people, and a variety literally called the “Rejuvenation Worm.” This seems way too close to be a coincidence, and TBZ is hyper pastiche so I doubt it’s an original concept, but I can’t seem to find a point of origin for this idea. Does anyone know where this comes from?

That fight was also one of my favorites. Once you get the deflection and counter timing down, it’s just a really satisfying fight, with a nice progression of new attacks to deal with in each phase.

I beat the game last night, and it was incredible! I’ve spent the last week or so tying up loose ends because of how hard I’d heard the last boss was. I actually beat him on my 8th try, and only the second time making it to the last phase! I was already completely out of healing items, and I had already decided it wasn’t the run, but I managed get the final death blow anyways after pulling off 3 consecutive lightning reversals! It felt amazing! I guess all that practice grinding in Fountainhead Palace paid off.

I accidentally got the wrong ending though. I accidentally chose the wrong option before hitting A! I’m not too mad though; From Soft games are some of the few games that I can replay.

From what I understand, it’s an inversion of Buddhist enlightenment, where instead of seeking spiritual immortality, one embraces impurities and achieves corporeal immortality. That impurity taking the form of insects living in the body is a depiction that pops up in various places.

It’s also kind of a major plot element of the manga Blade of the Immortal too. I’d like to know as well.

Is there a source on this? I’d like to read more. I’ve been a practicing Buddhist for years and the only place I’ve seen this concept has been in fiction.

Edit: I was actually talking to a friend about how this game could be interpreted as an argument between different schools of Buddhist philosophy/theology. Like, different schools have different ideas about Immortally/an afterlife. Pure Land Buddhism legit has a heaven and their texts revere Buddha as a god, while other schools have texts that say he said not to do that! So as I’m playing this I’m really thinking about these themes.