'Sekiro' Transforms the Dark Souls Formula into Something New and Risky

I used some VPN shenanigans to get in on this early and it is very good thus far. I miss the RPG stuff from the Souls games for sure but on the whole I am loving it.

I was really tempted to call in sick to play this game all day. I’ve been at work for like 10 minutes, and I’m already regretting my decision…

Grown up responsibilities are bad, actually!

See I go to work at 5 PM today, so I have like 6 hours to play haha. Thanks terrible work schedule!

I’m so intrigued by this game, but also a little worried it will be too punishing for me (among other things). Articles like this one aren’t helping:

I want to just take the plunge, because I love From, but the lack of RPG things is giving me pause…as a general rule, third-person action games aren’t really my thing, and what kept me on board with Soulsborne was the fact that if I got stuck I could always go do some grinding and beef up a bit.

I guess this post is just me trying to convince myself to go for it despite my misgivings. Although I’ve also been thinking maybe I should just finally return to Nioh instead, since it has the same ninja vibe but more of the RPG bits.

Honestly from what I have played Nioh starts WAY harder than Sekiro and there wasn’t much of a chance to grind out of that phase in early Nioh. After the first two levels or so the difficult in Nioh tanks hard and may be more your speed but the first bit is pretty damn hard so heads up on that

Yeah, I’ve actually played through and (mostly) survived the first ten hours or so of Nioh. If Sekiro’s more forgiving than that I suppose I shouldn’t be so concerned; it’s mostly just talk like what I was reading in that Forbes article that is giving me pause.

Sekiro is much more consistent in it’s challenge thus far I will say that, so it may be more of a game to pick up on sale for you if you don’t mind missing out on the zeitgeist

I couldn’t beat the second boss of Nioh. I couldn’t beat the DLC of Bloodborne. I was incredibly disappointed in Dark Souls 3 because of how similar it was edging to Bloodborne’s speed.

This is just a continuation of that trend I guess. I hope I don’t get skilled out of the genre.

Yeah I’m excited for people who are excited about this, but I’ve decided that this just isn’t a game that is for me.

I always forget this is an option, but as someone who is also worried about the lack of grinding/ability to just bash through the game, im considering picking it up at RedBox and seeing how I fare with the combat. If I don’t do too bad then I’ll end up snagging it for real.
That being said, I did make it all the way through Nioh and I feel like that game was hard as shit.

As best I can tell people who will enjoy this game play games for very different reasons than me.

Though I am only three-ish hours in, I’m honestly finding Sekiro’s opening a lot easier than I found Bloodborne’s. The combat does remind me of BB’s but with a lot more verticality and with even faster movement. The grappling hook opens up a lot in terms of escape possibilities, and the poise system leads to a faster pace than the old stamina management system.

I think Redbox is honestly a really good idea if you’re not sure about the difficulty but want to give it a shot. Caveat that I am someone who prefers simplicity and being given a clear system to master design-wise, but so far this game really does not feel as punishing as a lot of what I’ve read/seen around. It feels fair, and it tutorializes its core combat very well, and it felt like the biggest leap was just getting out of the mindset/habit of other Souls games.

Edit: Stay away from the chickens though. They take off like half your health in one hit.

Now that I’ve sunk about 7 hours into the game I’m quite pleased with the changes.
I certainly enjoy the pace of Dark Souls (1) and Bloodborne, but they’re clearly going for a very different thing here, and I find it refreshing.

While I wasn’t huge on Nioh there was merit to the higher intensity approach it had to the Souls style lock-on combat, it even utilised a similar “stamina” bar system for enemies which let you perform a finisher on them.
Imo From does a better job of working it more cleanly into the mechanics which ends up being more intuitive to control and does a lot of smart things with counter-attacks like tying it into stealth.

It’s not going to be for everyone, it certainly feels far more frantic and technical than ever before (seriously mid-to-large bosses makes it feel like a fighting game at times), but it’s certainly a solid game so far and I can’t wait to sink deeper into it.

I’m enjoying Sekiro but it has a few frustrating elements of design in it so far after a few hours, namely the bosses ive fought so far either being reasonable Dudes With Sword’s or massive things that die to a gimmick and take out your entire health in 1 hit and just aren’t interesting to fight (chained ogre cough), which was the worst part of DS3 was that it equated taking alot of damage with difficulty rather than just being a waste of your time because you made a minor mistake in an otherwise extremely straightforward fight

anyway im still more excited for nioh 2

This is a pretty good Tenchu game.

I’m honestly torn on this game so far.

The setting is great, I’m interested in it’s characters, and the combat feels great. The pros are numerous.

My issue is that the one con I’m finding feels huge. Dying in this game feels fucking bad. In the Souls games, dying might have felt bad cause like, hey you lose all your souls, but there’s an infinite amount of them in the world and once you realize that you realize it’s honeslty no big deal. You can throw yourself against the rocks as many times as you need to get through, because the consequence isn’t actually that bad.

Dying in Sekiro on the other hand feels much worse because it actually punishes you. If you are having a rough time and getting stuck on a boss you’re probably gonna blow through all your items, your spirit charges, and give your npcs a terminal illness. Those first two are frustrating as hell and makes me feel like I’m now in an even worse spot, and the last one might be my biggest complaint. I get that the game might be trying to like, stress that there are gonna be consequences to me dying so much. But the game is also hard as nails and it doesn’t feel like consequences so much it feels like an inevitability that the game decides to guilt you about.

I really wanna like this game but I swear I’m going to give the entire cast, even the ones I haven’t met yet, Dragonrot before I beat Lady Butterfly.

Right now unseen aid is probably my least favourite part of the game. I have no idea why they thought chalking loss mitigation up to rng was something that had any impact, story or otherwise, just take my shit or don’t. It makes dragonrot feel pointless in the process too

Some mild spoilers about dragonrot ahead, very minor and mostly mechanical so anyone who is being frustrated by this mechanic should feel safe reading:

So I is mitigated by the fact that you can cure it, in everyone at once, starting from as soon as you have it for someone other than the sculptor that you can talk to (for me it was memorial mob). How much it gets mitigated is debatable, because my understanding is that the resource needed, while not difficult to get, is finite, so you can only cure it x number of times throughout the game.

That said, it seems pretty safe to let it build up for a while. I’ve only seen one person say they had an NPC die, and most other places say either that they don’t or that they haven’t thus far. If anyone reading this ever has someone die, please let us all know here, that’s my biggest anxiety about this game so far.

And in the meantime, there’s not actually much penalty for having it. Losing unseen aid is kinda whatever, the main downside is that you can’t progress a sick character’s story until they’re cured. So, as long as you’re not trying to do that while they’re sick, you shouldn’t have any real downsides – just cure them once you’re no longer stuck and are ready to do their stuff again.

None of that imo negates your criticism, especially if the thing I’m not sure about turns out to really happen, but hopefully it at least makes it easier for you and others to push through.

I think Sekiro is excellent! Here’s two things I love:

1. The training NPC! The combat in this game is quite a bit more complex than recent FromSoftware action games, so having a way to practice is a godsend. It’s so essential for learning some of the more context specific moves.

2. Simple mobility requires button presses! In most games with Sekiro’s range of mobility, most traversal actions happen basically automatically, e.g. Assassin’s Creed’s climbing system. By requiring manual input for things like grabbing a ledge and mantling, Sekiro keeps me engaged while moving around the world. Jumping over a chasm to grab onto a tiny ledge feels so much more daring anddangerous when it’s success rides on my timed actions.

I’m only a 5 or so hours in, but I’m really enjoying myself! I don’t think it’s harder than Dark Souls, but it definitely requires more from you, if that makes sense. I’m excited to play more!

WRT to the spoiler the phase 1-2 transition is a perfect time to use the homeward idol if you don’t think it’s the run and thus save yourself a death/dragonrot, she was the first boss I killed and I really regret fighting her before a different option