Share Games You Made

EDIT: All available games from this thread can be found on itch.io in the Waypoint Games Collection. The collection will be updated as more people add games to this thread.

I’ve recently started making games, starting with Twine. And since I didn’t see a thread for sharing them. Here it is.

My first game is a political game about integrating in Finland. Something I’ve done. It can be found here:

If you try to play it I recommend either through the itch.io client, Firefox, or don’t block third party cookies. Twine needs local access to save your decisions. So it won’t work otherwise.

I made a Twine game because I was thinking about the problem of deadnaming in Red Strings Club
New Jam City - The Unofficial Waypoint Game Jam
Interactive fiction thread?
Let's Organize an (unofficial) Waypoint Game Jam!

Aw, this is a nice thread. I’d love to play more small games by folks on itch.io! I should probably get around to making more myself, but, for now, here’s a small silly game about politics that I made for a game jam! It’s not too-real politics, if you’re worried about that, though I would certainly dodge the word “president” if I were making this game now. Now, if you’re looking for something very silly and innocent about being a world leader, then this might be for you!

Great game dude. Just played through it and I really enjoyed it. Especially fighting the Alpaca lobby. Damn those Alpacas. Viva los llamas!

Aww~ Thank you so much for playing! I’m posting when I can since I’m at work, but I’ll definitely get to your game tonight.

The Integration Game: congrats on finishing your first game! I think your game does a decent job of conveying a sense of bureaucracy and frustration with the barriers to obtaining useful help. I will say that as someone who has no plans to move to Finland, it’s a bit hard to get into character. Without setting any expectations for what I’m supposed to want out of this interaction, it’s hard to really care when I’m turned down for an integration course. What benefits do I stand to lose? What are the social consequences of not integrating? What reasons did I have to move to Finland in the first place? The game doesn’t need to answer all these questions, but I think providing some positive glimpses of what immigrants are hoping to get would give the rest of the game a lot more weight.

President Simulator 2k15: this was great. I like the writing on it a lot and the graphics are v cute. My personal favorite ending: “Games were a key part of the alpaca diet! Without games, these weakened alpacas are no match for us! Let’s break out the games to cele—” This also reminds me a bit of frag fractions.

I like that you really kept the game simple and spread a wide net to encompass as many types of responses as you could think of! As @majugi mentioned, the variety of bureaucratic frustrations you can run into is the best part of the execution and I’d definitely add that the simple face and changing expressions added a lot to my enjoyment as well. I’d definitely also echo that there’s some emotional distance from the subject and that I would’ve loved to see some more specificity to some of those situations.

In a way, it’s a good series of goofs on how empty of a term “integration” is, but I also think that the game you’ve got is adjacent to a wonderfully specific story. Your story! After reading the About section and really getting amped up by some of that exacting language you chose and that feeling that this frustration was personal, I’m kinda surprised that it wasn’t your specific story! But either way, that there’s a good game.

I’ve only worked on one jam game before; it’s probably a mess in hindsight, but I had a (exhausting) blast working on this with my two friends for Global Game Jam 2016

Not really a game per se, but I made something for the recent Ludum Dare.

All you can do is raise and lower the land masses to lightly terraform/paint on the planet’s surface. Had grand ideas of simulating humidity, temperature, atmosphere, cultivating life, etc. Ended up with a chilled out little tech demo.

I have many many other games on my itch.io page but sadly many of them have died to the deprecated Unity webplayer, and the source code exists on a hard drive sitting somewhere in closet or in dead drop box links.

Archive your games! Always try and keep some playable/reproducible version of your games to show to people in the future. It’s weird how hard this is to do.

only game i’ve had a hand in designing is this lil’ flickgame thing: http://www.flickgame.org/play.html?p=d8e28fb01ab58e78daa9

i’ve written music for a bunch of stuff though. Sombra Del Sol is a neat Twine game and i’m really happy with the music i produced for a game called The Right Side of Town, which is a detective mystery in space.

That was silly and fun, thanks for sharing! I think with the move to Steam Direct, we might see itch.io take up the mantle has the go to place for smaller, niche indie titles. In a lot of ways it already is, but if a bit more traffic moves it’s way we might get a platform that really supports devs who want to make weird/unique titles for the right audience.

Twine is super cool. I used it to make a quick 1 minute game, inspired by Danielle, Zoe Quinn.
(PS the link does work and is fine, I think browsers don’t like that it ends in a -)
https://lawnch-.itch.io/human

Uhh okay

So this game was featured on RPS, Kotaku, and a few other blogs. I made it after my grandfather died.

Prior to that I made a series about animals on jetbikes that got a little bit of attention.

After some time I decided to make an Actual Walking Simulator, so I did.

Other stuff is here: https://hellojed.itch.io/

A lot of my games don’t have much capital G Gameplay but I sorta don’t care? Or I stopped caring about the concept of games being correct, sorta doing what I wanted. I’m probably going to keep doing that until the end of time.

my friend and I made this game last summer!

http://www.pntgrm.com/the-senpai

it’s a visual novel about Seinfeld and also anime. right now we’re working on a dating sim game that isn’t as memey

Thanks @majugi for the feedback, it gets to an issue I was wondering about in creating the game and examining the situation of integration in Finland. The lack of an introduction and tutorial ultimately doesn’t exist because in real life there isn’t one. Just one day you receive a letter from the government telling you to show up for a meeting at a certain place and time.

Many people aren’t aware of the whole integration process when they arrive and what it entails. And so I wanted to have that only happen if you follow a certain path through the conversation. In part because the customer service aspect of the Finnish government, like many governments, is pretty poor and so people don’t know the implications of what’s happening when they agree or disagree to a service or program. That results in events occurring without the immigrant’s understanding of why or how they came about.

And you’re right that I did not go into the social consequences of integrating or not integrating, but I felt that was best left for a subsequent game. Simply getting into an integration course is enough of a slog as is. The integration process is an entirely different story and would need different game mechanics, to such a degree that it would have felt like two different games.

All that said, your points bring up an interesting issue with reviews, critiques and replies from game devs. While we can have these discussions, ultimately because they’re not in the game at this moment or likely to affect it in the immediate future, is there a point to me explaining why I did something or didn’t do something. This is of course an issue with the creation of any art, if the creator’s intentions don’t come across immediately then have they succeeded? In my case, yes and no. Because I wanted you to get a sense of the bureaucracy at work and you did.

I did consider telling my specific story @Futurato but my story is so specific that it doesn’t apply to many other immigrants. And I wanted this to be a tool for those working on the issue of integration here in Finland to be one they could use to better understand the experiences of all the situations that affect integration here. Because I’ve worked with some of those individuals I know it’s in their hands and has the potential to do more than tell my story. Hopefully it’ll get people to understand the complex system they’ve established and how disheartening it can be. That of course is a long stretch for any piece of art, but it was one of my intentions when creating it.

Plus I got to tell my story in a podcast series I did called The Duck Pond.

I worked formerly on Zombie Panic! Source and currently on No More Room in Hell (although NMRiH 1 progress has slowed down a lot lately) along with just being active in the Source engine modding community. My main work was updating old maps, optimizing maps, QA, managing forums, writing tutorials, and I made some original maps which were never finished because they were part of a gamemode that we eventually ended up scrapping. Before I joined the official ZPS team I ended up doing mostly collaborative work with other community mappers because they were good at the art side while I was good at the scripting. I also created Source Multitool which was sort of my gateway into programming so if you have used that and found some terrible errors I’m really sorry, I looked at that code at the start of the year and it is terrible.

Those are the two main things but outside of that I made a lot of personal mods for Star Wars Empire at War and some game modes/addons for Garry’s mod for our friends only server along with fixing up a lot of broken code.

As for what I’m working on right now I started working on some tabletop RPG chatbot modules for Lita because while I really do like Roll20 we’re already using Discord and lita so it would be pretty cool if we could just keep it all contained in that (plus it means I can make cool hacking minigames for our bot to run for the deckers in the party). Also I realized I need some kind of more personal project to work on so I’m trying to make time for that.

chatbot modules sound neat. with Sidekick on Discord, i’m moving ever closer to just using that instead of Roll20 period, though i’m eager to see how their video conference stuff turns out.

I made/collaborated on two games as part of the Idle Thumbs Community Game Jam AKA Wizard Jam.

World of Blanks is a sidescrolling shooter where guns don’t harm people, so you have to defeat enemies by bouncing them out of the way with your bullets.

Super Briefly! is a puzzle game where you have a very short time to stop crimes being committed.

They’re both made in Gamemaker. I did the design/code and some awesome Idle Thumbs community members worked on art and audio.

Void Wisp is my most recent project. I’ve been working on it, off and on, for almost a year now. Too long to be honest, but I had a long period of no work due to a bit of depression/lack of motivation. It wasn’t til literally yesterday that I started working on it again after not working on it since like early February.

The premise is a simple runner like Helicopter or Jetpack Joyride, except you earn points by coming close to obstacles without crashing into them. Essentially by grinding. It’s too buttons, has a bunch of modes, tons of customization and accessibility options, and ambient dreamy procedural music.

Like @Wracketeer, I also did some stuff for Wizard Jam! I wouldn’t call it a “game” per se, but I coded a thing to visualise chaotic systems. It’s an itchio!

It’s the weekend! So it’s time to play through a few of these games and try to keep this thread alive!

@Highwire: I liked this! Definitely that good sort of modest you see from jam games and I was impressed that you guys were able to work in that daily progression system into it! Was this inspired by Papers, Please? It really feels like it what with the days passing, the book of rules and the messy board of ingredients! Certainly not a bad thing, though, as this game certainly takes that feel and transplants it pretty well somewhere wildly different.

@Broxxar: a cute lil’ tech demo! Id’ be really curious what UI solution you would’ve come up with if you had time to implement everything else you wanted to, but I think you’re right on the money that it kinda coincidentally turned into something chill when you only have the option to do two things. I could see the full thing being a sort of adjacent game to Daniel Linssen’s Planetarium!

@ApparitionOnLine: listening to the OST for The Right of Town right now and I’m really liking it! I’ll have to put this game on to-play list. I like that synths will never die and I also love that smaller sci-fi fiction really gets to explore that many more types of weird synth sounds. I really like the wavering line on “The Reaper” that almost sounds like vocoder?