Share your games writing/criticism!

You make a good point, the problem I have with my backlog is a crippling amount of choice. I hve so many games I could play I end up staring at a list of them and not actually commiting to any of them, but still I buy and download more.

But I would say good games always find the praise and exposure they deserve, especially today where you dont need a marketing team to promote your game.

This is my second piece of writing, any feedback would be much appreciated.
How Into The Breach Turned Me Onto Mechs

I know at least one guy who would disagree with that.

Edit: Make that two.

Good point, I think I was being a little naive. Theres a lot of shite on steam and a lot of weird algorithms that seem to prevent quality new games getting exposure that you have to dig for, until they blow up.

Where I was being naive was the very few ‘indie’ games that seem to appear from nowhere and find success through word of mouth, at times before the media covers them, but they are few and far between

I think that’s generally because somebody influential will kind of take the game under their wing. Pewdiepie did this, once. I can’t find the Kotaku article now, because it’s buried under dozens of articles of Pewdiepie controversy, but it was this super unknown indie game, sold less than 250 copies, and Pewdiepie did a single video about it and I think the developer said he never has to work a day in his life ever again.

Obviously that’s a large scale example, but there are smaller scale examples where people with audiences in the thousands or even the hundreds are trusted and can spark word-of-mouth buzz.

But you have to be able to find games to begin with. I’m one of those guys who will go digging for this stuff – I loved sifting through Xbox Indie games back in the day, for example, and seeing all of the weird stuff that came out of that, like Escape Goat and Apple Jack and Cthulhu Saves The World. But I find Steam to be completely exhausting in that regard. The signal to noise ratio favors noise more than anywhere else I’ve seen outside of maybe like, the Google Play store or something.

I absolutely agree with you on Steam. Its great that anyone can make a game and put it out there, but there needs to be much better curation.

This is much of the reason why certain terrible YouTubers who shall remain unnamed still have so much power over devs and media - getting mentioned by one of the bigger gaming celebs can be the difference between being a huge success and being one of the hidden gems buried underneath sometimes garbage pile.

I used to write for a site that specifically looked for these gems, and we’d spend hours a week just clicking through awful-looking asset flips hoping to find something great. And every now and then there would be a Linelight or an Aliens Go Home Run. But we had to spend obscene amounts of time looking for them, and even then, we probably missed more than a few. It’s an absolute travesty.

This is a big leap from your first post, really well done! You clearly spent more time editing this, and it is more “coherent”, not just because you are discussing only one game but also because of the work you put into it.

I get what you mean by your initial disappointment that the game is a turn-based strategy. Sometimes I come across a cool description of a game and am instantly excited, only for the screenshots to deflate my enthusiasm because they don’t have “budget” or aren’t in one of the usual AAA genres.

Then, inevitably, I beat myself up about being too shallow for dismissing turn-based or isometric games just because they aren’t in first or third person. I think I’m getting over this slowly but yea I know dat feel.

Nice one mate, means a lot.
I went over it a good few times editing and I tried to find a flow that made sense.

But yeah, the fact it was a strategy game originally bummed me out, it just isn’t a genre I find myself jumping into much so often I find myself avoiding games to my detriment.

My long as hell piece on the Deponia series is finally public and finished. Was not expecting to reference the biblical story of Belshazarr and the writings of Albert Camus but it happened (and the games themselves threw up the first reference very directly).

Great piece! I only played an hour into the first Deponia years ago (my old laptop had trouble running it), but never really went back to it due to lack of interest in the characters/plot. It was interesting to read where it ended up going, sadly that humor probably would’ve soured me on the whole franchise. Your explanation on how dark humor can go wrong was particularly helpful for me thinking about a game I’m currently working on a video for.

Yeah, the series felt like a slog at some points, but mainly in Goodbye. Doomsday was doing so much right so constantly that it basically negated every problem I had with it getting in my way, but I doubt everyone will have the same experience.

I’d suggest trying their Dark Eye games. Chains of Satinav is just okay, but the sequel Memoria deals with a lot of similar things as the entire premise centers around how we interpret stories, myth, and take our own messages from them. It goes to some WILD places once this secret area is introduced.

To continue with all the fascinating work on Into the Breach so far on this thread, here’s my review for Cliqist, where I come in as a relative newcomer and try to explain how this game brought me into a new genre.

Though I wish I had been able to read @c4p3n’s post before I’d submitted the video for editing because I love puzzle games, and I never considered how that came into my own experience learning the game.

Man this is so good.

I love the intro and outro, it seems like you are not reading from a script but having a conversation, at your own pace. It is so hard to do that effectively, as someone who strives for this when presenting at conferences and stuff.

Also, is it just me, or did Patrick recently make the point on a podcast that there are no good humorous pieces in games criticism because there aren’t any funny people? He should watch this video because the humour is on point.

Hey thank you so much!

Saw this today and immediately thought of this post. Never thought I’d be slightly bummed about more free games to play.

Hey y’all - here is my piece on god simulator Crest. It’s an interesting thing - it comes from a good place but stumbles in its representations of Africa, specifically in following the “Africa is a country” trope, and its weird claim of being Afrofuturist. I would love some feedback on this, keep in mind its quite long though.

This is tremendous work. I really appreciate how you ground your criticism in your own cultural perspective, while being direct. You make your argument nuanced, but never back down from it. Referencing and giving examples of a lot of Afro-futurism grounds your argument in voices outside your own, which is important when talking about things outside of your own cultural background.

(edit: I’d love to hear other people talk about this though. My perspective here is definitely limited.)

Thank you so much, this means a lot!

Sometime I feel like I am way too cautious haha but I think it was important here. And yes you’re right - unfortunately I looked around for similar takes on uses of Afrofuturism, or its use in Crest, but haven’t found anything. Anyone who may know of something like this, feel free to share!

Absolutely fantastic piece. My academic background is rooted in world religions so it’s great seeing you delve into the idea of The Other. How we (white westerners) almost dictate the experience of the other.

One of the first things that stood out to me was the use of commandments in the game, a word with massive judeo-Christian connotations that likely flooded the continent when Christianity did.

Im also a sucker for anything Said. One of the first things drummed into me were the problems of orientalism. Also any work that aims to represent or portray Africa tends to fail from the get go because there is no Africa, in the sense it isn’t a unified place with one culture. The game attempts to combat this by focusing on 3 particular cultures but as you explore in the piece, parts of each culture come to play a stereotype of Africa

Also I’m a white working lad from Liverpool so like you I wonder is it at all my place to even comment on the ‘African experience’

But seriously I love the work