Share your games writing/criticism!

I wrote about some of the games I played at EGX Rezzed this weekend. Out of all them Onrush excited me the most. I’m not normally into arcade racers but this one seems to be doing something interesting with the genre.

P.S

Really enjoyed your piece on Microhistories @Seva , its interesting how the Console - PC divide can inform so much.

P.P.S

@Dyfrig I really like what you’ve done here and it’s something I have done personally before in GTAV. Maybe will have to make a similar blog post about that at some point :thinking:

Thanks mate.
Im also massively excited for swoords of ditto so it was nice seeing it get a mention in your piece. If you dont mind me asking how was the co op ?

I think it’s good. Not necessary for gameplay at all I believe, but it’s the type of game which would be fun to hop into with a friend. Especially given its short game loop. You don’t have to have much time invested to get it so it would be easy for someone new to enjoy.

That’s perfect, Just what I was hoping for. Nice one mate

Short piece I wrote on a match three shump.

Yes, you read that right.

EDIT: And I released a new IndieCent! We talked about Spec Ops: The Line. Also, Teeth.

Here’s my latest video about writing, storytelling and narrative design in video games:

As always, I’m aiming to approaches to writing without it being advice or “do this, not that” since I don’t find anything else talking about writing video games in this way. But am I actually doing that? Are my points clear? Do my videos help at all? Any feedback would be welcome.

The rest of the series can be found here: The Writing Game

I love your writing style!

Thank you! :smiley:

I have finally played more itch games (I’m looking at you @Glorgu) (didn’t want to post in your thread cause it felt too much like self promotion) and continued my Exploring Itch series with the second instalment. Now that it has a second installment, I can definitely get away with calling it a series, yes, definitely.

I am using this as a way to experiment with my writing a bit more, be a bit more creative and bend stuff around, would love to hear some feedback - specifically if this actually feels more experimental or I am just re-using a bunch of writing tropes that I may not be consciously aware of because I’ve never done creative writing?

Oh hey, this rules! I feel bad I hadn’t seen this before, but thank you for directing me to it! I think where it is best is when you’re digging into what you felt as you played. I think the one thing I’d look out for (and I do this too) is when to use italics. I only notice because I fuck this up a ton myself, but sometimes a word doesn’t need to be emphasized and doing so only takes the reader out of the writing. This wasn’t an issue in the second episode, but it did make me pause in a few places in the first episode. Otherwise, I’m digging it :blush:

Oh thanks a lot! That’s a good point about the italics thing, I guess I tend to try and micromanage the reading experience… It actually makes sense given my personality. This is real good advice!!!

Oh hey, I know Kevin. I told him you wrote about Domovoi!

I wrote up a piece on Verde Station, a 2014 exploration game that does some really interesting things with perspective and narrative. I give warning when I go into spoilers, and I encourage you go play this before reading (it only costs a buck on Steam).

PDF version linked at the top of the article if you’d prefer that.

Also I’m linking it here so the link preview doesn’t show a huge spoiler image lol

I’m very proud of my video “essay” on my 260 hour journey through the metroidvania La-Mulana without a guide but after looking and reading through this thread I realize I am surrounded by other’s talent.

I liked making this video on my menacing trial but the question is what do I do now? I have some other topics for video essays and if I’m going to make a habit of making these videos I should spread out my topics because I don’t want to get cornered into just video games on the other hand I’ve never heard of any internet reviewer that suffered because they did a video on a medium they weren’t known for.

This is really cool! You should submit it to Critical Distance for their next Blogs of the Round Table, their theme this month is The Long Journey and your video fits the theme :slight_smile:

I’ll consider it but i’m not sure if I’m up for writing more written material for my La-Mulana journey.

They feature video essays like yours, so no need to have it all written down :slight_smile:

did a short video on game nostalgia, and what happens when you don’t even consider what you’re nostalgic for:

My latest video, Loot Boxes Are Part of the Experience, examines how issues with game critique and design led us to modern, hated AAA business practices, and how this can be prevented in the future. We look at bad examples (Overwatch), good examples (Wolfenstein II), and we also read a bunch of old game reviews!

@siegarettes Hey, this rules. Thank you for sharing! I really liked where you cover allusion vs. reference and how games constantly mess it up. I would argue the best and worst example of this is 0451? Occasionally it’s used as an excellent way to reveal the “mission statement” of the game in a sense and the design philosophy of a game, but most of the time feels like “you liked Deus Ex huh? How about THIS?”

@BigNoNo I’m still in the middle of this, but I’m really enjoying it. Always happy to see more videos referring to the writing of Tom Chick! And your analysis of how overwatch’s community reflects the values of the game’s design is really good!