Share your games writing/criticism!

And here’s Puzzle Bots, which as it turns out, predicted the “ALL WOMEN ARE QUEENS” meme by several years.

Been getting back into writing with the help of a very good website.

First a piece on an indie visual novel very near and dear to my heart and how it’s helped me

Second the literal opposite of that. It’s an old piece updated for 2018

Good piece on Bioshock Infinite’s both sides bull. Every time that game gets mentioned, my brain instantly goes to that time during GmerGte when Levine became aware this was a thing already deep into the event and went on twitter to scream “WOMEN, CALL THE COPS,” completely ignorant to the fact this is literally one of the first things almost every single target did.

Anyways, got another part of my Wadjet Eye Retrospective to plug. Hope you all like cyberpunk!

I wrote about the toll that a lot of games demand of us. I worry a lot of this is obvious, but I hope my experience helps someone. https://medium.com/@AliDrinksCoffee/kingdom-cookie-clicker-and-addiction-in-games-f1b109495da9

I was busy today lol

That is an excellent write up, and not obvious at all - because it is personal to you, a place where the best criticism comes from, and it was certainly a great read. I hope you’ll find an equilibrium that suits you in the long term, I feel like your introspection is your ally.

I’ve finally published a few short (by my standards) thoughts about service games that I’ve been having. It’s meanders a bit, I feel, but I wanted to put it out there. Also, @Alicoffee I linked your piece there, if that is OK.

I appreciate it! I just read your piece and thought it was really good, so I plugged it on my twitter <3

Yes, this is actually a game Wadjet Eye helped make.

Yes, it looks like a series of MSPaint shitposts.

And it has the best animation in their entire library I am dead serious

I wrote about the town of Facade from the original Nier.

I went on for 17 minutes about Resonance, the first Wadjet Eye game I ever played, and I have a lot of thoughts.

Spoilers ten minutes in, warning included in video.

Hi friends and strangers! I wrote a thing about Wolfenstein II and its obsession with masculine violence at the expense of its ideas of intersectional resistance. I hope you enjoy it!

@AliCoffee Also, took the time on the forum to catch up on posts and your One Night, Hot Springs write-up is exceptional and lovely.

Lots of good ideas here. I particularly like the criticism of the game’s ableism - I was immediately disturbed by how the game sacrifices a great, disabled female character to give Blazkowicz character motivation - and of the way it steps back from the last game. I really hoped Anya would be the protagonist this time, but I knew that’s unlikely to happen.

However, I have two criticisms:

1. I don’t think it makes sense to think of Wolfenstein as a power fantasy. In fact, the main criticism I’ve heard from a lot of people who did not like the game is that they couldn’t play it like a power fantasy but rather like a more careful cover shooter. The truth is, that’s the way all of the games in the series have been (with the possible exception of the 2009 game, which I haven’t played yet). They all demand a certain degree of stealth and slowness to deal with enemies. Blazkowicz gets out of the wheelchair quickly, but even then, he can’t just run around shooting.
  2. I have a completely different interpretation of the scene where Blazkowicz regains his strength. That part starts with a dream sequence, unbeknownst to the player at the time, where Blazkowicz faces impossible odds trying to overpower his Nazi captors in court. It’s a brutally difficult and frustrating level, with very bad cover and a lot of enemies, all using very powerful weapons. When it ends, Blazkowicz finds his mother, telling her he can’t fight anymore. He then wakes up to the reality of still being taken to his execution, and survives only by having his comrades rescue him. The entire point of that scene seems to me to communicate how sick Blazkowicz is of the war, that his brute strength is not enough, that he must rely on his comrades, who have more than the skills of a soldier to offer the cause. A lot of things that you mention make this imperfect, but it’s a far cry from saying that only strength makes one valuable to the resistance.

I wrote this spiel because I was dissatisfied with mechanical analysis of Into the Breach. Hopefully this is where it goes on here…this started as something I considered pitching to Waypoint, it got out of hand, well exceeded the guidelines for submission, then I put it on the main forum instead of here because I’m bad at every step in this process apparently. Enjoy!

I wrote something for Deorbital’s series of articles on God of War, it’s been lightly doing the rounds on twitter but I thought I would put it here in case people were interested!

That’s a fair point about the courthouse scene. There is plenty in the game that indicates the need for multiple avenues of resistance, Max Hass’s art being an obvious example. The thing that breaks that read for me is how little things change for B.J. after he gets his new body. There’s a static quality to B.J.'s character that undoes a lot of the teamwork thematics that the game attempts. It’s definitely true that he needs help, but he doesn’t have to change. It also bothers me how little seems to happen outside of him. It makes some sense, because he’s the player character, but I wish we got some other kind of perspective. It’s also weird for me how he was just totally ready to die at the end of the last game and explicitly passes his torch on and then is so concerned about his own life in the opening parts of the The New Colussus. then again… having kids changes a man.

I definitely think the game has plenty of good things, but I ended up really down on it for reasons that didn’t seem to be talked about much. So thanks for replying and being so thoughtful. It means a lot.

Oh, no doubt. There is a big problem with how the game, and its predecessor, promise a lot more of a radical break with genre conventions than they actually deliver. And yet, I really loved it for all the amazing things it did. But I’m glad to read a more critical perspective - always in need of those when something is well-liked.

While the subject isn’t video games, my video journal(?) on my long life with dial-up is surprisingly video game related. It keeps on coming back to the video games.

I appreciate it, but it was actually @Mythmaster who wrote that. I hope my correcting you isn’t too annoying, I just wanted to be sure she saw the nice words!

edit: Anyway, right after I posted that, I finished writing a thing I started last night and feel okay about! https://medium.com/@AliDrinksCoffee/meaningless-toil-and-the-joy-of-roguelikes-a83b59cf12b5

New Wadjet Eye Retrospective video, this time over Primordia! Robbits!!

No it’s all good! Somehow I misread that. @Mythmaster your piece is lovely!