Share your games writing/criticism!

Earlier this summer, my partner and I played through a game together that really caught me off guard. I have major depression and anxiety, and one of the hardest things about mental health is the difficulty in expressing what you are going through to others. “Life is Strange” helped me externalize things I was only feeling internally, and that went a long way in aiding my recovery.

I’ve written a ton of stuff over the years, but this was particularly challenging. It was hard for me to bring these emotions out and cultivate them over months until I was satisfied with this piece. But that challenge is also why I am so proud of myself for pushing through it.

Hope you enjoy reading! :heart:

New IndieCent! This time, we talked about Hiveswap, and by extension Homestuck, and Elmo told us about the time he discovered his coworkers were making MSPaint drawings of him naked.

New entry in my Wadjet Eye Retrospective! I talk about Ben Chandler’s and Francisco Gonzalez’s Shardlight in the longest episode yet! This might be my favorite episode so far, it’s the first time I can watch a video I made and think the editing isn’t complete trash!

I wrote a little bit about Spider-man games in general and a problem they all bring on themselves trying to adapt the character with a limited gameplay vocabulary

My Lamplight City review is now up!

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/lamplight-city/

I ended up making the next episode of my Wadjet Eye Retrospective way faster than expected. Detour episode over Kathy Rain, a game they did VO work for.

I adapted a piece I wrote back in June on a cheap, 2 dollar switch game that made a surprisingly profound impact on me. I tried to fit this video into the spirit and feel of the game itself

For the latest episode of The Writing Game I did something different. I looked at the Causes of Conflict from a peace and conflict studies perspective and how that relates to the conflict we see and experience in stories. You can see the latest episode here:

The full transcript can be found here:

I was late posting the previous episode of The Writing Game here, but I just released a new one. So get it fresh from the press.

Some games almost feel too full of content. I’m yet to find one where that alleviated my negative experience of aggressive paid DLC plans.

Are Early Access, how GT Sport handled it, or the Paradox model much better strategies for pushing a “living game”? Should games overflowing with things to do hold some of that content back to release for free after an extra polish pass (and getting that initial user feedback)?

I got my first paid games article posted today! I’m happy that I got to touch on toxic fandoms without pushback and that I talk to two amazing game devs. It’s a sad, insane day in the world, so this posting today helped quite a bit!

I’ve been thinking much more about labour issues in the last year or so, something that is certainly partially inspired by certain Waypoint Radio episodes, as well as the general state of the games industry in 2018, among other things. So I wrote something about the discussion around how AAA ambition negatively affects rank and file developers, and that we are at the very least moving in a positive direction just because we are beginning to recognise that.

Destiny 2 has me thinking a lot about endings, or the lack of them, and how the affect storytelling. That’s the topic for the latest episode of The Writing Game:

You can also find the podcast version here:

I just posted a review of Timespinner. A game I really enjoyed and one that I think a lot of people should check out.

Occasionally when I play a game and get enough thoughts about it that won’t stop happening I write them down just to get them to go away. Steam is my usual outlet for that sort of thing, but also i’ve taken to writing up game of the year lists at Giant Bomb for the past couple years which has been fun.

Not a thing i’d do for a job but I enjoy the creative outlet when I need it to happen.

I made a video retrospective on the Japanese freeware game TKKN. I found it for someone on one of the game preservation topics on this forum, and as I did more research on it, I learned that it had a lot of interesting history, so I thought to do a video on it to shine more light on it.

[English Subtitles are available!]

New IndieCent!

Danni was busy so it’s just me, Elmo, and Tama this time for a game grab bag. I found a bunch of horror games on itchio, some very good and interesting, others…less so. Oh and a game about Freddie Freaker the party freak.

CONTENT WARNING: The discussion over the static speaks my name talks about suicide and depression. I included a warning at video start that tells you where said segment is, so you can skip over if that’s a problem for you.

I just had a blog post featured on Gamasutra about the 17 months it took for my upcoming game to evolve into the right design. Not a critical article, but more a post-mortem/backstory about how circuitous game design can be. :slight_smile:

Super interesting, thank you for sharing!

The last of my detour episodes in my Wadjet Eye Retrospective is out! It’s over the excellent Lamplight City by Francisco Gonzalez, and I included it because it evolves on a lot of design and writing ideas from A Golden Wake (which was published by Wadjet Eye, unlike this game).