Share your games writing/criticism!

I’ve had a weird and stressful day at work, but I did get to kick things off by gushing over Umurangi Generation on the news shift

more fave

1 Like

Two things!

New Dark & Elmo podcast over The Franz Kafka Videogame, which we played because we played it!

https://www.patreon.com/posts/38419385

Also wrote a short article on my frustration with a game I really wanted to love, Murder by Numbers.

1 Like

I was chronicling my playthrough of Spider-Man over on the what-games-are-you-playing thread, but now that I’ve finished I decided to write a longer form piece about how that game looks at crime and prisons, and the gulf between the characters it cares about and the people it clearly doesn’t.

1 Like

Hey, this was great! I remember being dragged out of the game’s narrative myself when the Sabre Intl plot line was added into the main game towards the end. Seems a common theme in Marvel Entertainment media though doesn’t it?

1 Like

Definitely. I think it’s a natural theme for superhero media to fall into in general, or at least that writers need to do actual active work to prevent it from manifesting just due to the nature of these stories.

Enjoyed my type with Wintermoor Tactics Club, decide to take some time and try my hand a writing a review.

I wrote about how the visual novel that got a perfect score from Famitsu makes great use of photography and image editing to create a strong mood that makes it one of the most engrossing reads I’ve ever gone though.

3 Likes

More of my fave list, second to last part

1 Like

I wrote 5,000-ish words on The Last of Us Part II, several of these words are very similar to words I’ve already written on this forum.

Not a fan, needless to say.

Wrote some words on playing too many games over five years

1 Like

It’s been over a year since I wrote about videogames and for some reason the Bombcast inspired me to write about machine elves today, I don’t know.

2 Likes

This isn’t great or heroic work of criticism, but this isn’t a great or heroic game. But I’ll share it anyway.

1 Like

“Every missed note has a small HP cost. So play the song well or SORA FUCKING DIES.”

5 Likes

I wrote about a Jesse Singal tweet that Gita shared today on Twitter. I know this isn’t particularly effective, but it’s also the first time I’ve gotten my ass up and written/published something since February, so I’m pretty happy about it.

Games criticism makes you smarter and can expand your worldview. Everyone here knows that because we’re all Waypoint fans, but give it a read if you’re interested.

2 Likes

Resurrecting this thread for shameless self-promotion, woot woot!

I wanted to share a few GOTY posts that I wrote, which are all linked here on a GOTY page I made on my site (also sorry the excerpt text is screwed up):

I do still want to write about Hades but couldn’t quite get anything going, so that may show up there soon. But the ones I have are about Black Mesa, Deus Ex, Into the Breach, and a post about both Death Stranding and Animal Crossing.

In any case, I’m decently proud of these (mainly for pushing myself to write four pieces in about a week and a half). Especially the Into the Breach one, which was the conclusion of two years of playing that game and figuring out why it made me feel so many things.

6 Likes

I talked a bit about OneShot in the What Are You Playing thread, but I felt like I needed to kind of lay things out in more detail so I did a full review. It takes a tangent into talking about Doki Doki Literature Club for a bit, but they both do similar things in terms of their metafictionality and it’s a good comparison to make imo. I wrote most of it in a really solid ADHD hyperfocus so it could be completely unhinged, but I can’t tell with my own writing anymore.

2 Likes

I’ve been replaying Deus Ex GOTY and loved your piece on it! I’ve been ruminating on an idea for a piece on DE for months and have never pushed myself to write about games, might be time to change that. Thanks for this.

1 Like

My cursed brain has for some reason demanded I write something non-academic for the first time in 8 years and of all the things it’s demanded I write about it’s Final Fantasy XIII

2 Likes

Planet Blue: Gaming in a Hell Year: Top 10 Video Games of 2020 - This is just a Top 10 List and other stuff. Most it is an excuse to finally talk about Kentucky Route Zero.

2 Likes