Share your games writing/criticism!

This one I blame on that reductive and unfunny Penny Arcade comic that came out after the game’s release.

I’m glad you included the image, because that statement is very all-encompassing.

It’s mentioned in his chapter in Cara Ellison’s Embed With!

Where is all the writing to satisfy my reading needs, waypointers ? slow month ?

Yeah, at least for me. PUBG has just consumed so much of my gaming time, combined with the summer draught, it’s been tough to find new takes.

Going to write about Children of Zodiacs, and why the idea of IP is silly in an era where fan creations are often better than IP-proper products. How imitation isn’t just the sincerest form of flattery, but a driving force in our iterative medium.

I’m in the middle of moving to a new state so I’m currently staying in a spare bedroom in my brother’s place until I can find somewhere of my own

I’m trying to get something written because it’s been a while since I published anything substantive but it’s hard staying focused.

This is what helps me, for whatever project I’m working on:

1. Take a break from your setting. Go for a walk, exercise, talk to someone. Do anything to immediately get out of your headspace and any anxieties you have around your work.
  2. Try to evaluate what your hangups are. Be pragmatic about this, know yourself. I tend to be pretty self-doubtful. It can spiral into worse things. Picking myself up requires that I acknowledge the difficulties in my work and that other people don’t find success without feeling the exact same way.
  3. Remove yourself from any distractions. This part isn’t for everyone. If I’m writing, I put myself in a place with a chair, a table, a pencil, and paper. That’s it. If I’m developing, or if I absolutely need to use my computer, I’ll disconnect my internet.
  4. Roll a die, set a stopwatch. Not sure where I got this from. If I’m just not focusing on work despite my best efforts, I’ll roll a die and I’ll work a minute per number (roll a 4, work 4 minutes). Do your very best to produce something. It could be the literal World’s Worst Sentence, but it’d still be something. Consider that an achievement. Sometimes that’s all you need to get started in earnest. At the end of that working time I’ll roll again and relax, play, do whatever for as any minutes, again, per number. Rinse and repeat until there’s something real come out of nothing.
  5. Don’t forget to eat and sleep.

Good luck :+1:

I write about video game communities and education at Maze Rats. My main passion is a printed zine called The Backlog where I pick one game and then write a socio-cultural essay based around that game. So far I’ve chosen ToeJam & Earl; Papers, Please; A Boy and His Blob; The Hidden: Source; and Wall Street Kid. I’m currently working on an in-depth series that explores the stories and themes of Metal Gear. Here’s a preview of that zine (it’ll be out on Wednesday):

I’ve written two more posts where I trace developers of video games to find out where they are now.

The two are Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast and Call of Duty.

oh right I finally finished up this thing. it’s about meritocracy, free to play games, and how the grind reflects our generation’s own struggles

That’s such a specific, time-consuming thing. As someone who loved Jedi Outcast, especially the multiplayer, I applaud your efforts!

I love this so much. No constructive feedback to provide or anything, just wanted to say how cathartic this article is.

Just wrapped this article that’s been bouncing around in my head since the launch of PUBG. There is an ephemeral beauty to the “people sculptures” that players make in the game lobby, in contrast to the hate-filled public chat. Here are some impressions.

Wrote another thing/rant on grinding in RPGs, and how an option to skip it would be advantageous to players and developers alike. I’m mostly writing gaming stuff as a side hobby, but I’d love feedback as far as how to better structure entries like this. There are a lot of things I want to write about but I don’t quite know how to structure them, and it would be cool to have some advice from actual professionals on this.

Also, if you want to provide criticism but don’t want a name attached, or just feel uncomfortable providing it publicly, I’ve got one of these things so feel free to throw it there. I do really want to improve my writing, but to do that I need feedback. https://eukaraoke.sarahah.com/

Hi :slight_smile: I write about games, movies, media and politics and other things I’m passionate about on my blog: www.gonzo-opera.com
My latest videogame piece is here http://gonzo-opera.com/2017/06/28/the-gutwrenching-bleak-misery-of-kane-lynch-2-is-now-free-go-play-it/

I’m contemplating video content but I haven’t dared yet. Might just go for me sitting at my kitchen table talking about books or something :smiley:

I write and post stuff about games on hedinnweis.com and then sometimes I delete posts because I have zero confidence in my writing. :sweat_smile:

I haven’t written anything more recently than July 3rd though. I put up a loosely structured piece about how I view the first Nier as a rough draft of sorts for Automata. Where the piece fails is that… duh of course. Games and game developers are a process of iteration. It’s a piece that–because of my distance from it–has become one of the kind that I’d delete due to lack of confidence but I’m forcing myself to leave it up for whatever reason.

I’m doing a series of zines about the Metal Gear franchise in which I basically explain the story, themes, and “WTF?” elements, so if you haven’t played them, you can understand why people are crazy over them. If you have played them, then you’ll appreciate some of my commentary.

I’m starting with the first two games for the MSX2 systems. On my website, each zine will be split over a few weeks, so here’s the introduction:

But I need some help: in future issues of the zine, I want to include fan interviews. If you’re a fan of Metal Gear and want to do a brief email interview, please PM me or contact me through that website’s contact page. I’d love to hear your thoughts on the series!

Thanks! (/plug)

Hey, that sounds really cool!

This probably isn’t of interest to much of y’all because I’m sure a lot of you might roll your eyes at the idea of somebody giving a game like this the time of day, but I finally finished an article I’ve been poking at every now and then for a couple weeks:

Basically, Sonic Forces looks like it’s going back to the stuff that worked in past 3D Sonic games (Generations, Colors, etc.) but something about the game looks really “off” and I try and explore why I think that is.

yo why would anyone scoff at giving Sonic the time of day.

it’s Sonic. Even for all the criticism it gets, the series is still a pillar of game history (and also looks rad as street wear).