So... How does one go about buying a GPU in 2021?

It’s high time that I upgrade my PC, and–as a stopgap to just doing a brand new build–I’d like to start with a GPU that I could leapfrog over whenever I decide to get a new motherboard and processor. It’s been a good run with this old beauty–but it’s starting to show its age.

Thing is… I know GPUs are dummy expensive right now; you can barely even find them because of 1) shortages and 2) bots. And yet I know that people haven’t stopped buying GPUs and building PCs… So yeah, how does one get ahold of a GPU for slightly less than highway robbery in this, the year of our lord, two thousand and twenty one?

1 Like

I usually follow comrade Wario64 on Twitter for my sought-after electronics needs. I know there are other people out there who provide similar notification services but I don’t know who they are off the top of my head. And what Wario says, mostly, is “here is an opportunity to enter a lottery for a chance to buy a graphics card,” so even at this point you’re trying to beat the odds to beat the odds, so to speak.

3 Likes

Yeah, apart from subscribing to stock alerts, I don’t see any real way to get a GPU these days. The only other idea I have is to see if you can find a forum with a solid trust system where users sell their old hardware at decent prices, but the only one I know is French, so…

Best of luck, at any rate!

1 Like

If you don’t have access to a forum like Rama mentioned, or a local store you have a good enough relationship with to reserve one when stock comes in, then it’s definitely a bit of a hassle. Setting up push notifications on email notices from wherever you shop for computer parts, or Twitter notifications for accounts that say ‘hey, Best Buy has stock on this!’ is the best option if you’re not in a hurry.

I have friends who needed good graphics cards for work and couldn’t really do the whole ‘wait 1-8 months for luck to be on my side’ thing, and have had to buy prebuilds and just rip the good parts out to put in their normal computers. If you can get one with a good processor, maybe some smaller parts you like, then it can still be a bit cheaper than scalpers… but you’ll also end up with a few parts that are just trash. (The motherboard and the power supply are especially likely to be glorified paperweights.)

I got my RTX 3080 Ti by entering in the Newegg Shuffle, every weekday in the morning they put up various high demand items they have stock of and you can select an entry for a chance to get picked to buy it. I had to buy mine with a motherboard I still haven’t found a use for but selling it is an option but if you need to return it for any reason Newegg will only accept both/all items in the combo.

3 Likes

I ended up getting mine in a Best Buy drop my roommate got his from a Newegg Shuffle. There’s a couple of Discord servers out there dedicated to tracking and alerting people as well. You have to be careful though, places like Amazon will run out and it will switch over to another seller so you could end up buying over priced from a 3rd party on accident.

1 Like