So there's a manga-inspired Illustrated Pride and Prejudice book... do you know of any others?

Was at Barne’s and Noble today and came across an uh… interesting version of Pride and Prejudice. I made a lame tweet about it but thought I’d share:

Essentially, it’s a version of the book that includes manga-inspired illustrations throughout and it got me curious, does anyone else know of any other classic literature adaptations (or even just illustrated versions) like this that they’d recommend? The art for this particular specimen wasn’t very good IMO so I had no interest, but it got me curious about other books of the sort purely for the novelty’s sake.

1 Like

I can tell you there’s a 24 episode anime adaptation of The Count of Monte Cristo called “Gankutsuou” that came out about a decade ago. It’s in the far future and set across a few planets, features a lot of Art Deco mechanical designs, has an interesting art style featuring a lot of patterns and designs, and is dripping with homoerotic energy between Albert, Franz, and the Count.

Here’s a link:

4 Likes

Oh snap! I forgot about this series, it had been on my watch list in college. Gotta check if it’s on CR now… Thanks~

I remember this kind of thing being a kind of fad in the early 2000s.
There were definitely manga-style releases of some Shakespeare plays, like Othello and Romeo and Juliet, and one time a friend of mine bought me the Manga Bible.
I do not remember any of them having particularly great art, either, to be honest.

In terms of Japan-developed versions, there are a lot of anime based on Western novels, but the most famous ones were produced as part of the World Masterpiece Theater series.
I’m less familiar with Japanese manga versions of Western novels, although I’m pretty certain some exist.

Oooh, yes I’ve heard of World Masterpiece Theater (I think Hayao Miyazaki worked on one pre-Ghibli?).

I heard Junji Ito did a Frankenstein manga but not sure if it’s a direct adaptation or not (or even if it’s good), but I’d love to see some manga adaptations of classic literature.

It was taken off Crunchyroll after the partnership with Funimation broke, but I found Romeo X Juliet to be a fun fantasy retelling of the story.

So, slightly unrelated to actual adaptations of things, but this thread reminded me that Emma (unrelated to the Austen novel) is a good ass manga/anime.
It’s set in victorian London and is about a maid who falls in love with a member of the gentry. This is a pretty generic historical fiction-type plot, but very uncommon in anime. It also has super good art little to no anime bullshit/fanservice whatsoever. I recommend it wholeheartedly.

1 Like

I think I’ve heard of this, actually. Wonder if that manga-ka’s done anything else…

If it’s on Funimation Now, I might give it a gander.

She has, and it’s apparently all pretty good. She has another series set in Central Asia, though I haven’t read that one.
She also has some less safe for work stuff which I personally like.

1 Like

2614bf218d59896ec77656c3788e5dd3 9781772940176_p0_v1_s550x406

Yeah.

it’s not exactly a fictional text but this exists:
SX348_BO1%2C204%2C203%2C200

Also for real the manga version of Marie Kondo’s book is pretty good:
download

1 Like

But it actually wasn’t a retelling. It was something WAAAAAAY weirder and more openly meta. It was basically a completely original fantasy drama except they used names from Shakespeare and had him hanging around as a meta-mouthpiece in a few moments. I remember thinking it was okay but it has so little to do with any of Shakespeare’s work, let alone Romeo & Juliet (especially because this anime plays everything so straight when the original story was a satire on youthful romance).

As far as anime or manga adaptations go, I remember a lot of buzz around Blast of Tempest. It wasn’t pretending to be a full on adaptation or re-imagining, though, but a work that made a ton of homage to several Shakespeare works, including The Tempest and Hamlet. It was a manga that got an anime adaptation, but I don’t know how readily available it is anymore.

1 Like

Oh wow. Mark Twain is my favorite manga-ka.

2 Likes

Bumping this to say it is streaming on Crunchyroll.

1 Like

Well, he did create the Isekai genre with A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur’s Court.

2 Likes