Soft Earth: a ghost story for queer kids

After a year in development, I’ve finally finished writing SOFT EARTH, a ~45min long interactive ghost story with loads of original music and illustrations. A lot of folks from the Waypoint community gave me tremendously useful advice and feedback during the development process, so I want to share it here.

This is a story about unwanted boyhoods, ghosts in the woods, and queer children trying to stake out their own lives without completely losing the families they have to leave behind in the process. We all want to come from somewhere, even if that place doesn’t want us as we are.

I hope you take a look. It’s the best thing I’ve ever written, and it’s well worth an hour of your time.

It’s been a long, long summer, and this town has gone longer still without rain.

You are ten years old. Your parents are asleep. The window is unlocked, and there’s a house in the woods where Grandma’s ghost might still linger, so long as the clouds keep the rain from washing her away. If you have something to say to her—something you can’t tell Mom and Dad—then you might get your chance tonight.

Walk into the woods, my love. Brave the dark with me.

This is absolutely lovely. Thank you.

Anyone who’s looking at this thread right now and hasn’t played this game

Play. This. Game.

This is incredible, wonderful, thank you for making it.

This is so beautiful, thank you so much for sharing it with us.

This made me cry, thank you for making it and sharing it.

Thank you so much, y’all :purple_heart:. It would mean a lot to me if you would share this with as many people as you can. I’d like more folks to see it, and I don’t have the reach on my own.

I don’t know how, but even with such a simple image and description, you’ve absolutely drawn me in. Will be playing this ASAP. And congrats on the release!

Thank you!!! I hope you enjoy it :sparkles: