"Song/Movie/Game of the Summer" and what that means to you!

When I was in high school, it became a bit of a pattern when my parents would rent a beach house for a week for me to spend a bunch of time outside the first day, get horribly sunburnt, then spend the rest of the week inside playing video games. I remember one year sinking ungodly amounts of time into NASCAR Thunder 2003. Sports games with grindy career modes are just perfect for days that you’re stuck inside with nothing to do. My ability to do this has dramatically decreased since having kids, but having my parents around when on vacation does let me offload some responsibility and stay up late with a game for a couple nights.

Other past Summer games that come to mind: LA Noir, Furi, EA UFC, Rocket League, Arkham Knight

1 Like

Honestly, without getting too personal, I’m having kind of a rough summer. I feel like the fact that my summer jam is Baby I’m Bleeding by JPEGMAFIA pretty much reflects that.

In terms of games, Fortnite never clicked with me until I sat down and dedicated myself to being decent at it. Seeing Natalie share her wins made me want to get better, and now I’m enjoying my time with it (I got two wins in one night last night!). I wouldn’t be surprised if that ends up being a game I associate with Summer 2018.

1 Like

Sorry to hear you’re having a rough summer. Sending positive vibes your way, friend. <3

I’m thinking about downloading Fortnite on Switch. I’ve never been good at PVP-anything. But I’ll take a look at the waypoint fortnight videos for inspiration.

1 Like

I’m only 5 or 10% ironic about this but Movie of the Summer looks like Mamma Mia 2. There’s no trailer more exciting out now.

4 Likes

A bunch of film/pop culture critics I follow were tweeting a ton about it last night while maybe a tad drunk, and it was so entertaining. I might have to stop by our $1 theater and check it out when it gets there.

I want to see Sorry To Bother You so bad, but so far there are no signs that its going to be screened in Zurich.

I think I feel similarly. I don’t think I have any personal “songs of the summer” since I left education.

For me, a Song Of The Summer is a song I listened to a lot in the summer, rather than necessarily a song that is inherently particularly summery. Listening again evokes specific memories of That Summer, rather than some kind of general Summer Feeling. (We No Speak Americano reminds me of sitting in the passenger seat of a particular guy’s car while we drive around, for instance.)

But yeah I’m working all summer now so it’s a whole different vibe.

3 Likes

Most of the stuff I listen to in the summer is mostly metal as I got into the genre during high school summer vacation. As far as envoking the feeling of summer, Ska is quite possibly engineered for the summer.

1 Like

So I just saw that leon has a new album of animal crossing covers

the whole thing has a summery vibe and I thought y’all might like it

in particular I’m into this track “lily pads”

2 Likes

This is gonna be a long one from me…

I make playlists of music every time a new season starts (or a bit before if I’m wishing for that season to come sooner). I currently have five different summer playlists that I made for this year.

I pretty much listen to Javiera Mena exclusively during the summer. Otra Era (the album and song) pretty much sounds like summer to me.

I also listen to a lot of Croquet Club in the summer. They even have a song called summer!

Air France is another band I listen to mostly in the summer.

This Loudon Wainwright, III about swimming in the summer honestly sounds like the perfect way to spend summer to me. Just swimming in all kinds of different places every chance possible in the warmer months. Some of my favourite summer memories

This Grateful Dead cover by Bruce Hornsby (who’s The Way It Is album is very summery to me) just has the sound of a perfect quiet and breezey summer evening.

This Lewis track also has the quality of a lazy summers evening, windows open, breeze coming in, trying to stay cool.

Finally this Horse Feathers track.

I also made a list of films on Letterboxd that feel like ‘summer films’ to me which includes Do The Right Thing (reccomend watching this on as hot a day as possible), Before Sunrise-Midnight, Our Little Sister, Only Yesterday, Uncle Boonmee…

1 Like

I remember hearing this one a lot one summer.

Which reminds me that I also heard this one a lot one summer.

1 Like

I really need this album to be on spotify already.

1 Like

I know! Apparently this is the issue lol
https://twitter.com/leyawn/status/1022504930488328192

film of the summer is deffo mamma mia 2 here we go again and album of the summer is the soundtrack of mamma mia 2 here we go again, without a doubt

1 Like

Check out Daft Punk’s new single “Get Lucky” if you get the chance. Sound of the summer.

1 Like