Sony acquiring Bungie for a cool 3.6 billion dollars and the New York Times is purchasing Wordle

Thoughts?

UPDATE:
I didn’t think I should make a whole other thread for this, so, in other game acquisition news: https://twitter.com/NYTimesWordplay/status/1488263468390232070
Surely, the NYT knows that this game will essentially die immediately if you paywall it, right?

3 Likes

Feels like we’re in the middle of an arms race, especially knowing that Microsoft has apparently tried to buy Bungie multiple times and balked at the price. Not thrilled at all these AA studios consolidating, though at least it seems like they’ll still be operating relatively independently? Is that a silver lining?

5 Likes

I hate this mega entertainment corp future. Even if they made some really odd GaaS decisions, Bungie going self published/owned was a rare bit of reasonably nice game business news and now that’s over. :frowning:

7 Likes

the “independence” is what I’m most skeptical of, honestly. Isn’t Sony, like, the least willing to share their toys with the rest of the games industry? Historically?

5 Likes

This feels like Sony calling up Bungie and asking if they want help getting back at their ex’s.

5 Likes

I feel like a pellet on a Pac-Man board

1 Like

I feel like, if we were ever to see a repeat of the conditions that lead to the market crash of '83, it won’t be the result of utter market saturation, it’ll be because people lose interest when the big console manufactures control basically everything and dictatorially decide what types of game you’re able to play at any given time. I love the free market.

Upon further reflection, my take is:

Sbungie (pronounced spongey) is fun to say.

4 Likes

I thought the market crash would be basically when no one makes anything new anymore (because the ROI on “new” isn’t guaranteed) and it all gets boiled down to essentially new Warzone hats.

1 Like

That too, most likely

I don’t have anything smart to add beyond that it seems like Destiny folds in nicely as the MP/live game to compliment Sony’s singleplayer catalogue, but all of this seems bad and it’s wild to see the industry reshape itself so dramatically in real time

2 Likes

If the rumors of a Sony subscription services are in fact going to come to fruition, they will need a bigger stable of developers to deliver content in regular intervals. MSFT will just eat the loss and out-price Sony even if Sony can make similar deals with all the 3rd-party developed games on Game Pass. Jim Ryan’s statement today telling us to expect more acquisitions would lend to this theory as well.

Sony couldn’t ever win the subscription service fight but they will need to at least offer a similar solution soon before that market is impenetrable. Especially if they feel like eventually they might want to explore getting Xbox titles on their platform.

Yep. My first thought is that Destiny is a nice thing to add to Sony’s subscription service.

I have two big questions. I wonder how this is going to affect Sony’s PC policy. It’s difficult to imagine Destiny becoming a console exclusive without burning a bunch of people. I also wonder what will come of the game Bungie is making with Tencent’. I have to assume that investment was made under the presumption that the game would be multiplatform.

E: The American Prospect has been doing a great series on monopolization. Which seems related to this conversation.

1 Like

Early reporting seems to be that Bungie’s stuff is going to continue to be multi-platform, actually

1 Like

If it’s like Microsoft’s acquisitions, I won’t be surprised if it’s less ‘Bungie games will continue to be multiplat’ and more ‘current Bungie games and any upcoming ones already promised to be multiplat will be multiplat, but don’t hold your breath for Destiny 3 on Xbox’.

5 Likes

quickly googling “does bungie make games other than destiny” to see if i should care

2 Likes

The stories I’ve seen have included language like “Bungie is an independent entity within PlayStation Studios” and “Bungie has the option to self-publish future titles,” so it seems to me like what happened is Sony entered into relationship with Bungie like they used to have with Insomniac Games back in the day: Sony has the right of first refusal on publishing their new stuff but they’re otherwise allowed to publish things themselves.

1 Like

They are planning a new IP that is slated to hit in 2025.

1 Like

Quick thoughts

1. Big acquisitions bad. While not as damaging as Microsoft buying Bethesda and Activision-Blizzard, it still sucks to see so much consolidation.
  2. I guess this makes sense as Sony has really made a reputation for itself as a purveyor of hugely successful, critically acclaimed singleplayer games. I can’t think of anything offhand that fits the also very lucrative live service shooter model - at least two of which Microsoft now has in-house with the acquisition of Call of Duty and the successful launch of Halo: Infinite. As industry wonks are quick to point out this isn’t a reaction to the latest acquisitions - these things take too long - but Sony clearly saw a weakness they had.
  3. I’ve floated the idea that with Call of Duty, Microsoft will want to keep Warzone as a multi-platform free-to-play title because that’s way more in their interests financially than restricting it to Xbox/PC. Current reassurances from Bungie aside, I do actually see the same in Sony/Bungie’s future for Destiny. Multiplayer games thrive with big audiences, Destiny has a thriving MTX economy and regular expansions; I don’t see them pivoting to being a console exclusive down the line. Now, will we see exclusives on Sony’s platform and/or will everything be rolled into the mooted Game Pass competitor…? Different story.

And, per your bullet on single-player games

2 Likes