Sony Cancels PAX East Appearance, Citing Coronavirus Concerns

Sony might not be showing up at E3 this year in a formal capacity, but they were supposed to have a booth at PAX East next week, including a chance to finally play the delayed The Last of Us: Part II. However, Sony announced today it’s decided to pull out of PAX East “due to increasing concerns related to COVID-19 (also known as ‘novel coronavirus.’)”

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/epga7e/sony-cancels-pax-east-appearance-citing-coronavirus-concerns

I think people are starting to realize how serious this outbreak is getting.

Mind you, this isn’t at a ‘contagion’ level of pandemic, but this virus has already killed as many people as SARS did in one month that took SARS 8 months.

I’ve been keeping track of the numbers with this site.

One of the wildest things I read about China right now in relation to Coronavirus is that 10% of the world is now in quarantine.

1 Like

I’m still going. I live here, and there’s no indication that Boston isn’t safe. Things may get to the point where we start staying home, but we aren’t close to that yet.

On one hand I think the virus is a very serious concern and every precaution should be taken.

On the other hand, this seems like a pretty big overreaction to the realistic chance of contacting the virus.

On the other other hand, it’s kind of the best environment for this sort of virus to spread, there are people coming from across the world that you’ll be in contact with constantly (especially people working the booths all day), and I have gotten sick from about 90% of the times I’ve gone to PAX…