Sony @ E3 2018 Official Discussion Thread

I want to watch a documentary about the making of the game much more than I want to play it.

Huh, Remedy’s game is coming to ps4. Between Alan Wake and Quantum Break I just assumed they were basically MS exclusive nowadays.

This sounds much more interesting

I think it speaks more to the preoccupation we (or Sony at least) has with these kinds of stories and how that is reflected in the work culture of these studios. The almost voyeuristic lens TLOU 2 asks you to look through when witnessing these horrific acts of violence against women (and men) suggests a potentially unhealthy attraction to the subject matter, or at the very least a lack of awareness of how that framing might be viewed in a greater context.

That trailer from the Paris Games Week in particular was utterly tone deaf and especially uncomfortable given how closely it followed the allegations of harassment. If they were so unaware of how that looked to folks like myself, it also wouldn’t surprise me if some folks in the higher positions of that studio are either unaware or simply don’t care about how they frame their gratuitous violence and the context it exists in outside of the game.

I’m not super bothered by the violence just sorta bored by it. Not any more than I am like, Nintendo’s vapid whimsy, or Square’s mindless spectacle but it’s boring none the less

But I also don’t really care about how something is advertised I only give a shit about the thing that comes out (for the most part) so on the list of reasons I am not as interested in The Last Of Us 2 as I want to be the violence depicted is low on the list

I’m not sure how my concern with The Last of Us 2 means I am not familiar with post apocalyptic stories? I mean, I was not only thinking about The Last of Us Part 2, though it was the quickest example to come to mind because of just how uncomfortable that first trailer was. What I would say concerning the games as others have mentioned is that the game is not being careful in it’s application of violence (especially against women imo). I feel the nature of the violence and the lack of care put into making it meaningful in any facet other than sheer volume and magnitude does reflect the uncaring nature of Naughty Dog around the allegations (yes, I know it was a man being harassed, I don’t think that really changes my or others feelings on Naughty Dog and their lack of care around sensitive issues). It’s not a one to one connection, but it’s not difficult to see a lack of sensitivity in creating a story that presents it’s violence in a meaningful, careful manner and a lack of sensitivity toward an employee being harassed.

EDIT: I think it’s important to take into account just how disturbing some of the violence was. The Paris trailer lingered on a woman getting tortured and her arms being broken. Most post-apocalyptic fiction is violent, yes, but it isn’t delighting in the violence in the same way.

Oh, I also hope that this new KH trailer means Tron-World is coming back. If Tron is back, then so am I.

I can’t Discourse super good, sorry.

Naughty Dog utterly fucking up the handling of all the allegations against them aside, I’m not falling for this shit. Not again. TLoU 2 is going to kill off Ellie’s new gf a third of the way through the game more or less, and then it’s going to turn into a revenge story.

I’m also not a big fan of the way the Infected seem to have vanished from the promotional material. Miss me w/ apocalypse stories that are all about human beings murdering each other instead of working together. Like fucks_sake_ Naughty Dog, at least hide that preoccupation for violence and the grim opinions on humanity behind the whole “but zombies aren’t people anymore” rhetoric, if you’re going to go around marketing carnage like this, otherwise what’s even the fucking point of having them in the setting.

Broke: Wondering if we can play Ghost of Tsushima with Japanese VO.

Woke: Wondering if we can play Ghost of Tsushima in black and white.

one of my main issues with the lack of infected is that it retroactively makes the ending of the first game worse. that moment was so good imo in part because the implications of it were that without Ellie sacrificing her life for a cure, humanity would eventually die out. from what we’ve seen of the sequel, humanity seems to be surviving just fine without the cure, which in turn makes that critical decision that Joel made all the more meaningless.

Riley died. Enough said.

Every Death Stranding trailer is like a Smash Brothers reveal for an actor/actress.

Once the whole cast is revealed we’ll actually start to learn more.

Disagree.

They very easily could have had them separated some other way. They didn’t have to kill Riley. It had impact because we see this type of story so rarely, and that makes the fact they killed her worse.

Thing is, they didn’t kill Riley. She was dead before the story started. Again, we knew she was dead and that Ellie was basically alone before we ever knew we’d get to see Riley alive. I can’t call that “killing” that character. If anything, the better argument would be they shouldn’t have brought her back in the form of a flashback.

bury schrodinger’s gays

As has been mentioned, Sony’s first party propensity toward gratuitous violence as a selling point has really started to wear on me.

There’s no joy in these games and therefore it’s almost impossible for me to get excited for them.

I’ve never been the type to get amped up over that kind of violence and I wanted to see if there’s anything other than time that would change how I felt about the gameplay trailer for the first Last of Us and this one and a few things jumped out at me.

The TLOU1 trailer starts off with a brief bit of exploration that eventually leads into a gunfight, whereas this one leads with Ellie repeatedly stabbing a person in the neck.

I think the source of the more gruesome nature of this trailer (other than an intentional effort to fetishize the violence) is that where Joel would use his fists or the end of his weapons in close combat, Ellie consistently uses a blade and regularly slashes enemies throats.

Obviously both these trailers are inherently violent, but adding all these extra opportunities for gore where there was previously just exhibitions of blunt force really does turn things up to 11.

Not to mention how that entire gameplay sequence winds up tainting the preceding scene, because it was clearly just a set-up to deliver the “threat” line and cut to the over the top violence.

I genuinely believe these games would be good, but I also genuinely hope Sony can find a way to move away from this marketing strategy, not that I think they’ll ever be incentivized to.

Post-apocalyptic fiction does not require heavy violence. It can, and often does, but it doesn’t have to.

Video games have just rarely been able to imagine a post-apocalypse without ridiculous amounts of violence.

Breath of the Wild is maybe the closest they’ve come, where the violence is either against embodiments of evil or kind of optional. And I think taking it more in that direction would be really interesting, where the post-apocalypse hasn’t created these archetypal warring factions or groups of antagonistic people but a bunch of pockets of society trying to move on, and it’s the world that requires some kind of violence to survive.

I’m not turned off by hyper-violence. God of War was my shit a couple of months ago (but also because that combat system was extremely good). But it gets tiring when it seems like it’s becoming an aesthetic choice to signal maturity.

Games are doing the things comics did in the post-Watchmen era, when to try and signal maturity they just turned comically dark and gritty. And so many games are doing that with this post-apocalyptic template that honestly just needs to grow.

I love post-apocalyptic fiction. It’s what I write, and what I consume in every medium. But imo, beyond a freaking Zelda game, it hasn’t had any significant development in a long time.

I might really end up liking TLoU2, but that’ll probably be in spite of the hyper-violence than anything else. Or maybe it’ll actually make it thematically relevant, which I could maybe see. But I’m not holding my breath.

(I didn’t realize I was this angry about it until I started typing sorry yall.)

It still ticks the “bury your gays” checkbox if the death was preemptive. If anything it gave me more time to think how here’s another gay character that can’t just live her life.

I liked the first Last of Us more than most people here it sounds like, but I have zero interest in the sequel. It’s clear Naughty Dog only sees one type of story in this world: Everything sucks and everyone you care about will die a gruesome death. There’s no chance the new love interest survives.

Who knows, maybe the final product will have a drastic tonal difference than the trailers. Maybe there’s a happy ending. I’m not that hopeful. Druckmann himself said that where the first game was about love, the second is about hate. A game more mechanically or narratively hateful than The Last of Us crosses a line for me that I’m not comfortable with, especially if it doubles down on the worst and laziest parts of post-apocalypse stories: the hyper-violence.

Sony usually isn’t my thing, but…

Ghosts of Tsushima is selling what I’m buying (…although I have a lingering dread about cultural appropriation)

I’m also curious about Death Stranding now, mainly because of the heavy Iceland feel I was getting from the environments.