[Spoilers] Nier Automata Tore Out My ❤️ And I Want It Back

Even after he’s reset, Pascal is still disconnected from the machine lifeform central network, so fighting isn’t something he necessarily has to do.

Not sure that explanation works for me. After all, networked Pascal chose to disconnect, implying that he had the choice. But either way, I think the general point still stands.

I’m surprised at how hard people are coming down on the decision at the end of E. I said no so I could see more of the game content, and I don’t have the time to do all that again… can’t you just go back and do it later? That’s what I thought when I said made my decision.

[spoiler]pascal! i totally killed him, with the same reasoning as some others, it seemed cruel to wipe his memories idk, that’s not what i would want anyway just end it. i didn’t even know walking away was an option at the time.

i was bummed about my decision after listening to the spoilercast though, it seems way more detailed & depressing if you wipe his memories. and that’s that good bad shit i love. oh well.[/spoiler]

You received the help of others that sacrificed their save files for you to even see that ending and that prompt. You contribute absolutely nothing in kind by refusing. That’s my take on it.

But you can just go back and do it later, right? I feel like everyone’s talking about this as some kind of permanent, one-time-only decision.

You still end up taking more than you give, since you need a second person’s help to see the ending a second time.

I viewed the ending choice as a culmination of NieR’s themes being forced on the player in a very personal way. Like I said before in this thread. I had a similar reaction to you, thinking I had more to see. But unless you totally skipped side stuff you really don’t. Everything is there in the main mission. The side stuff is just good flavour.

What ClairvoyantVibes said. You’re just accepting twice the help to provide half in return.

Hm… that didn’t really occur to me.
Well, now I feel like garbage.

and on this day, Yoko Taro smiled.

What about the stuff with Emil?

…I’ve never felt so bad about a game before

We are all in this together.

Take this with a grain of salt, because I didn’t play the first NieR, but it felt like mad fan service. Didn’t have any connection to it, personally. The area the quest takes you to is stunning, though.

Also, to me it’s not as much of a choice if you go back and do it when you know you’re done with the game.

When I made the choice, I genuinely didn’t want to. I wasn’t sure I was done. And so it felt like I was genuinely giving something up.

And I was in a way, I was giving up my time, because after I was done with Persona 5 I went back to NieR: Automata and played right through to E again (this time saying no, I feel like I’d earned my save spot by this point) and all through the DLC too.

Fun in-fiction perspective on the save data decision -

By refusing to donate save data, it can be argued that the player character is denying another player from their ending “E.” Consider the significance of the letter “E” within the fiction of the game, and suddenly you’re cosmically aligning yourself with 2B circa route A/B.

You are the 2B to another player’s 9S, carrying out YOUR purpose by continuing the cycle. The denied player emulates 9S by continuing to be curious and restarting the final sequence.

Will. From where does our will come?

• It is born from nothingness.

• It is given to us by God.

• I don’t care. I don’t need any of this!

@Wintermute ooh I like this! This digs so deep! Also the connotation with this and ending S xD

@garnavis I feel like the stuff with Emil is a cool side quest chain if Automata is your 1st, with hints of an expanded lore if you’re into it. Having going back and playing the original Nier afterward, it definitely contextualised things so much more for me. I take that as a great example of how the game weaves in connections that fans of previous games will appreciate, while also not leaving new players confused at what’s going on.

I think it’s worth selecting no at least once just to see how unceremoniously it dumps you back to the main menu.

Bit late on the reply for this one, but theres some Archives the elaborate on A2’s backstory. I missed them too, so I had to go read up on it in the NeiR wikia.

She was part of an early YoRHa unit who’s mission went wrong, she was the only survivor. She became a recluse after that, blaming both YoRHa and the machines for what happened to her friends, and vowed to wipe out all machine lifeforms. Anemone was also involved in the mission, which is how the two know each other.

A2 and her unit ended up being a test that was meant to fail, in order to continue perpetuating the machine/android conflict. The test also resulted in the creation of both B and E units, which is why Anemone mistakes 2B for A2 the first time you meet her in the game.

She had never encountered Pascal before her route, so she had never really seen pacifist machines. I think being forced to interact with Pascal because of Anemone, paired with receiving 2B’s memories resulted in A2 becoming more social.

If it’s any consolation, I also didn’t delete my save. I used more than one person’s help in beating the end file and was completely exhausted having just been through ending D, which had a far greater impact for me than E. In my mind, deleting my save was a moot point, since a huge part of what makes NieR “not just a game” to me (in line with that ending) is the ability to go back and shore up components of the world to better aid in discussing my experience with that game in the future. It’s certainly worth discussing this point, but by no means am I willing to accept a simplistic view of that decision as, “do this or you’re a monster.” In some ways I regret my decision, but at the same time it was something like 5 AM, I had sobbed grossly about the ending to D, and I was anything but ready to wash the experience away after what ultimately, to me, felt like a huge anti-climax of “hey everyone let’s work together” when everything in my mind was screaming “WE HAVE NOT EARNED SALVATION.” At the time, I actually thought that if I were to give up on the ending, I might lose my save without being given the choice, and it was in part that fear that had me accept help. If I had known the full arc of ending E, I probably would have chosen to give up.