'Star Wars: Squadrons' Is Nearly the 'TIE Fighter' Heir You're Looking For

I have "my"  Star Wars. You probably have yours. Mine was built on the original trilogy, the early Expanded Universe novels from Timothy Zahn, and the X-Wing series by LucasArts flight sim legend Lawrence Holland and the studio that was eventually known as Totally Games. The movies might have been pure fantasy, but for me that universe became a stage for military sci-fi, an approach to Star Wars that finally took center stage with the Clone Wars cartoon.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/3az3zy/star-wars-squadrons-is-nearly-the-tie-fighter-heir-youre-looking-for
4 Likes

This game has me at cross-play, $40, and EA Play trial, and now you’re telling me it’s worthy of X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter and Rogue Squadron’s legacy? I’m getting everyone I know to play it with me.

4 Likes

If some extended family weren’t visiting me this weekend, this would be all I would be playing. Give me that Good Star Wars. #StayOnTarget

1 Like

Hearing about how good it feels to fly the ships is great. I can do with a weaker story since it seems like a vessel mostly for tutorialisation and fan-service delivery (hello Wedge and Hera).

2 Likes

I guess it’s time to dust off my Oculus Rift and try this out!

Did Facebook ruin Oculus yet, or is that still coming?

My hope is that they’re allowed to do a Squadrons 2 with a more in-depth campaign and stuff. Given that the reviews are looking good and this particular subgenre has been pretty starved lately, I suspect this will sell enough to justify another one of these.

5 Likes

All right, I’ve played about 3 hours of this game so far on PC. I played the prologue, and then enough dogfight matches to hit level 5 and then play a fleet battle match. I’m enjoying it a lot! There is a lot to customise with your ships, basically all sidegrades with pluses and minuses. I haven’t messed around with that stuff at all yet. It’s kind of intimidating to see all the options available. In terms of being in the pilot’s seat, swapping between energy profiles isn’t too involved if you don’t want it to be. I basically just go full attack in most situations, swapping to speed when I am closing in on a target and shields when I am retreating from a capital ship. Your weapons have a 1000m maximum range and the shots travel at 2000m/s, which is a neat statistic that is surfaced to you when you’re checking out your ship’s vital stats. Unlike in Battlefront 2’s Starfighter Assault, there is no marker for where you need to be shooting to compensate for travel time, which I appreciate. I plan to play a bunch of bot matches with no external HUD eventually, something that I enjoyed doing in BF2.

6 Likes

I basically never get games at launch any more, but Rob’s review sold me. This sounds great - I’m glad to hear the complexity is scalable, and I too am a sucker for a “pure” cockpit view. Can’t wait to try it!

2 Likes

So it is a good successor to Rogue Squadron and TIE Fighter but… what about us Rebel Assault kids? Can I crash a million times in a scrolling FMV of a tight canyon?

5 Likes

Oh hell, there’s a game I haven’t thought about in a long time. Played so much of that terrible game, while missing out on X-Wing and Tie Fighter.

1 Like

Damn, this sounds good, but not enough single player goodness to justify a purchase for me right now. I definitely saved up allowance for months to buy a Thrustmaster to play X-Wing vs TIE Fighter online back in the day, but these days anything that doesn’t have a pause button is no good for me.

I keep seeing reviews about Squadrons on PC, but I want to know how it feels on console with controllers.

Standard disclaimer of YMMV, but I’ve been enjoying it on Xbox. I can’t say that I’m a flight sim expert by any means, but it feels pretty good to play on a controller so far. Everything seems mapped relatively sensibly, and it’s not so complex to be unwieldy on a gamepad.

2 Likes

I’ve been playing a bit of this tonight on PSVR. I think the graphics are quite compromised on this setting, things tend to have a low resolution look to them but you still get to sit in the cockpit of your favourite Star Wars craft. Turns out a tie fighter cockpit is just a big metal ball. Not touched the multiplayer yet, but I am playing through the campaign at the moment, it seems a little basic, lots of dogfighting, and some of the mid sized enemy ships feel a bit like blaster sponges with no weakpoints. Once you start facing off star destroyers you get to go for weakpoints but it does feel a little barebones.

There has been some scanning, and you can adjust you energy between engines, weapons and shields. I was suprised you can set your shield to front and back facing. Each ship feels quite maneoverable and zippy. A lot more fleshed out than the previous Battlefront games.

The thing I’m most liking, is the bit inbetween missions, when you just get to hang our in the hanger and talk to your co-pilots and occasionally interact with a gonk droid. It does feel a little x-wing/tie fighter in that way. Quite like the interactions with all the characters, feels quite natural. Also you have a mon calamari briefing you before each mission, and his arms… look delicious.

Not bad for a £30 game. They didn’t have to add VR support. I wonder whether it was originally a VR game.

2 Likes

I tried a quickplay match and just got wrecked in a way that honestly didn’t feel encouraging to ever try it again. Hooo, I’m just garbage-bad at this game, but zoomy X-Wings are nonetheless fun to fly.

1 Like

XvT’s legacy is the kinda thing i appreciate from a distance but have no interest engaging with, esp. through the lens of playing with randos on steam or psn.

The foundation seems to be there and focusing on AI is getting trendy again, so hopefully we get some substantial iteration on SP content somehow, even if it’s just in quick turnaround sequel.

I want a not-dry fullblown Tie Fighter with backstabbing branching paths gdi.

2 Likes

How are the sound effects in this game? Do they inspire that feeling that only Star Wars sound effects can?

2 Likes

Sound effects are great imo. Been playing with headphones on and the game sounds like Star Wars. If you liked Battlefront II’s sound design I would say this is on par.

Been really digging the game myself. Can’t tell if I’m getting wrecked because I suck or if VR and flight stick tryhards are swarming the game, but probably more the former than the latter.

3 Likes

(Didn’t actually play multiplayer yet, though)

2 Likes

I’ll admit to being salty after having five straight matches where my team managed less than 10 kills through the entire match. And if you have one or two teammates not pulling their weight every encounter with the enemy ends up being 2 or 3 on 1. Really discouraging that I haven’t even come close to winning a match.

1 Like