Star Wars: Squadrons

Please be Good Please be Good Please be Good

More info on June 18, but it looks like a mainly 5v5 multiplayer game. It’s set in the closing days of the Galactic Civil War. Single player campaign promised as well.

1 Like

My expectations from EA/Motive are very very low. I just don’t think there’s any real vision there. That said, I will probably play it on my Valve Index a few times.

2 Likes

I really hope the single-player campaign is good. I’m not expecting a whole lot for $40, but if we get something like on the same scale and quality as one of the “War Stories” from Battlefield 1, I’ll be satisfied.

I’m so, so fucking tired of Space Capitalism Sims being the only games with a budget doing anything in space that I’m desperate for this to be the thing that finally shakes up that stale-ass genre, since House of the Dying Sun and Rebel Galaxy Outlaw couldn’t seem to do it.

1 Like

I expect nothing at all from the story, EA has proven to me pretty conclusively that they probably can’t write a good Star Wars story. (I mean, fucking LucasFilm can’t write a good Star Wars story anymore, what hope does EA have?)

But if I get like… two-three hours of halfway decent Rogue Squadron space sim levels, that’s maybe worth forty bucks.

1 Like

Yeah, I think y’all are right. It’s almost certainly going to be crap…but that music though! I think that’s what got me.

If there is one remake that would be awesome it would be the X-Wing series games with modern graphics, and better controller support. But EA hates making people happy.

1 Like

I wonder if the TIE Defender will make the cut

1 Like

you’ll probably be able to buy it separately at some point.

1 Like

5v5 battles sets off some alarm bells for me, quite frankly. When I heard about it I was imagining/hoping for big battles ala old Battlefront 2.

1 Like

You’ll only be able to buy a cosmetic third wing for your TIE Fighter.

1 Like

Even if this game doesn’t end up being any good we’ll always have this sweet cinematic trailer.

1 Like

I’m tentatively excited about this. I think for me it’s all gonna come down to how the fleet battles work in taking down the enemy capital ship. Obviously we have no on-foot infantry combat here so it’s not gonna be like 2005’s Battlefront II where you can fly a troop carrier into the enemy hangar and sabotage the ship from the inside. But as long as they can nail a good feeling of big capital ship takedowns with bombing runs and such, I think I’ll be playing a lot of this game.

1 Like

Damn, this looks sick. I was a Star Wars fan all my life and considering the current state of the franchise I’m quite skeptical about new Star Wars games or movies, but this looks promissing.

1 Like

The Freespace 2 subreddit had a post about this game, and I commented there that it’s about time someone stole Freespace’s revelation that “terrain” in space can be composed of fuck-off giant capital ships. Fuck-off giant capital ships being something Star Wars is already known for, I think there’s a lot of potential for the combat. We’ll see.

1 Like

Couple of interesting bits I’ve read or picked up from the trailer:

• Power management confirmed? At the start the rebel pilot says “All power to the engines” and it cuts to the old school X-wing Engine/Weapon/Shields bars with the blue for engines on full.
  • Wedge Antilles makes a cameo!
  • Seems to be heavily hinting at being able to customize, or at least chose, your pilot? Would be sick if you can make a custom pilot!

Honestly, just make a new friggin X-Wing series game you cowards!

I think it’s only going to be those 8 ships to start. As @ox_out_the_cage said it’s probably going to be paid content later.

if this sucks who wants to resurrect XvT

4 Likes

I don’t like Rogue One as much as a lot of folks, but I still really hope they’ve drawn on this scene as inspiration for Squadrons.

I believe they’ve confirmed both power management and a customisable pilot!

1 Like

I spotted this, and it piqued my interest considerably. The nice thing about the old X-Wing games was that they were just complex enough. The power bars were easy to manage- split power between shields and weapons, excess goes to engines. Nothing you can’t manage on a controller. I think you can strip out a few other features- transferring weapon charge to shield was mostly a chore, as was all-rear or all-front shields, which I just used to equalize anyway.

Targeting and squad orders are most of what’s left, and that seems manageable.

Honestly, while I didn’t enjoy Battlefront 2’s space combat made all that much, it did confirm just how good it feels to fly those ships in more complex and spectacular environments. I’m cautiously optimistic.

2 Likes

And Hera’s in the first Rebel briefing in the trailer.

Also, U-Wings were so cool when they showed up in Rogue One and were Hueys but with swing wings (which we all know slap thanks to the F-14) that it’s disappointing how their uniqueness has been ignored in favor of using them as regular starfighters.

… Crap now I need to re-up Disney Plus to watch Rogue One again.

3 Likes

Damn, the character customization talk made me think of the Star Wars game I actually want: A Mass Effect like RPG where the shooty bits are replaced with flight sim bits. Where you can actually walk around the capital ship you are based on, and your squadron mates are your crew. Ugh, now I’m just disappointed this isn’t that. Damn it EA, get BioWare on that!

I haven’t played Battlefront, but one thing I’m worried about with more complex environments is that they will limit the map size. One of the good things about the X-Wing games was that the space you played in was basically infinite. I’m worried that by trying to make the environments more complex they will make things cramped.

1 Like

So we all realize pilot customization is gonna allow for a bunch of unique aliens for the Rebels, and only humans for the space fash?

I loved TIE Fighter back in the day; TIE Interceptor is my favourite snubfighter. But I just can’t shake the discomfort I feel at the idea of playing space fash in these times.

1 Like