"Steve Buscemi as Nikita Khrushchev" — The Death of Stalin

Y’all, I read the titular sentence today, and found it so beautiful and haunting that I have not been able to rest or stop thinking about it since. The Death of Stalin will be a satirical comedy film directed by Armando Iannucci (In the Loop, The Thick of It, Veep) and based on a graphic novel of the same name by Fabian Nury, due to be released this October.

Perhaps the most surprising element to me is the cast list, featuring Steve Buscemi as Nikita Khrushchev, Michael Palin as Vyacheslav Molotov, Jeffrey Tambor as Georgy Malenkov, Simon Russell Beale as Lavrentii Beria, and Jason Isaacs as Georgy Zhukov as they vie for power after the passing of Joseph Stalin in March 1953.

(Content note for this trailer: strong language.)

I wasn’t familiar with this film until today, but now I am honestly strangely curious about it. While I do think this is a fascinating period of Soviet history, I imagine Ianucci’s political-satirical style will probably obfuscate the historical record to some extent. I honestly don’t know what to expect from it. I’m so curious.

I actually haven’t seen anything by this director before, but
Wow, this actually looks really absurd and good? It’s interesting that he didn’t have any of the actors speaking in Russian accents

Armando Iannucci is excellent & I strongly recommend people check out their previous work if this movie looks interesting. I will absolutely be checking this movie out when it comes out even if I do it alone.

Edit: Having grown up in foreign service culture all my life In the Loop is probably the closet work to actually reflect what my environment was like, as absurd as it is. Only say that because I understand it might not be for everyone.

I think that the “loosely” part is pretty accurate, but there really was a lot of tragicomedy at the time from what I understand.

I’ll be keeping an eye out for this.

Important update: this film is now out in the UK and is good. I’d need to talk to someone who was less familiar with the story to get a better grip on how it comes across normally and I do think that the trailer gives away too many jokes for its own good, but it’s a perfectly enjoyable and solid comedy film that manages the subject matter fairly well.

There’s a few historical accuracy quibbles I have, but that is the life of an amateur historian.

Watchin’ With ‘witch – First Time Film Thoughts & Feelings [Film #3: The Thing]

Alan Partridge, The Thick of It and Veep were some of my favourite shows, and with a cast this solid I can’t wait to see this. Sadly I don’t think there’s a release date for Canada yet, crossing fingers for it to come to Netflix fairly quickly.

I might go pick up and read the original graphic novel before seeing it. I knew about it but never gave it a try.

LOL. This looks amazing.

This is not getting a theatrical release anywhere outside the UK?

Looking around online, apparently IFC Films has the license and might be releasing it in January 2018? I’m always surprised by non-simultaneous releases.