Sucker Punch’s New Game Is Samurai-Focused ‘Ghost Of Tsushima’

I don’t think calling it a “Kurosawa filter” is accurate, because that dude made colored movies

And they’re brilliant

11 Likes

When I see footage of someone pressing a button to pick a flower without even getting off their horse, I know to adjust my expectations accordingly.

Couldn’t have said it better. And once the “you’ve liberated fort 1234367 sequence played”, I almost lost all interest. The whole ‘exploration’ part was a lot of “we’ve thought long and hard to create an organic and interesting world design and came up with the same old bs. Look, the line on the minimap is now a blowing wind”. I’m only in it for the art design at this point. Combat seems to take some things from Sekiro, as well as Nioh, though I doubt it will realize them as well as either of them. We’ll see.

It’s been 3 years since Breath of the Wild came out, but other OW games seem to refuse to even think about what made the basic exploration in that game special for a lot of people (even without doing that much different). And from what they’ve shown, it’s a mystery to me why they didn’t do it. They’ve everything they needed.

9 Likes

I was hoping the open world would be obtuse and not necessarily inviting, in the vein of RDR2. Just give me a really atmospheric experience to get lost in, but that was probably way too much to ask

2 Likes

Agreed. I thought it was particularly ironic since they spent all that time talking about having the wind and animals guide you instead of UI elements, all for the sake of immersion…and then 5 seconds later there is a glowing bamboo plant he picks while flying by on his horse.

It looks a lot like the latest two Assassin’s Creed’s, which I’ve enjoyed. And it is an interesting setting…but I don’t know, it didn’t really stand out to me. Visually I thought it felt a little washed out. Probably will wait for reviews.

3 Likes

Ghosts looks like precisely the sort of game that could make for an enjoyable weekend of gaming a few years down the line when other plans fell through. I’m sure I’ll be like “y’know what, not bad” sometime in 2023.

At this point can we just get the Darksiders devs to just clone BotW? I’ll suffer through the Todd McFarlane-ass Lore if it means moar Zelda.

4 Likes

You know it occurs to me, if their committed to having a black and white mode, that means they’ll have to coincidentally make the game very colorblind accessible.

This new Assassin’s Creed game looks really cool. But I thought they were doing vikings next?

5 Likes

I was gonna say…

Ya’ll, if you wanna play this game early, Assassin’s Creed Origins and Odyssey are out RIGHT NOW.

8 Likes

Well that was extremely underwhelming. I think i’m most excited now for the Said-esq Orientalism breakdowns of the game

4 Likes

I’m kinda here for a samurai game that does t play like Souls/Sekiro/Nioh because I don’t like those style of game much.

But damn this really does just look like AC Origins/Odyssey but in Japan, huh? A little underwhelming, still seems fun though.

Paper Mario Is coming out the same day though sooooo…maybe I’ll get it later.

1 Like

I had a similarly cold reception to this. Devs like Insomniac and Sucker Punch had a visual and mechanical distinction to their games (their last games, Sunset Overdrive and Infamous: Second Son are good examples), and there’s something deeply uncomfortable about seeing their unique visions get sanded down into a Horizon: Zero Dawn shaped mould of the Sony Prestige AAA Game.

I don’t doubt that it’ll be “Good” in the same way as like Spider-Man or God of War, but like them it’ll be a totally unmemorable experience. No friction, no soul, just a homogenous content delivery template.

4 Likes

Lotta people down on this videogame for being a videogame. (Full disclosure: I absolutely love open world bullshit.)

I’m not expecting this to be Game of the Year or anything, but it looks like a super-polished game with gorgeous visuals in an interesting setting, with some thoughtful and clever ways of making standard open world tropes seem at least a little unique. I would absolutely rather follow a fox or a sparrow to find secret locations than just have some controller rumble, or follow a gust of wind instead of a GPS line drawn on the ground.

And while I understand that the Horizon-esque on-the-run materials collecting feels out of place, I am sick to damn death of every game of the last five years deciding that holding a button for 1.5 seconds is somehow a more legitimate interaction than a simple press. Between the two options, I’ll take the one that doesn’t put unnecessary impediments in front of basic actions.

My biggest gripe is that it should either be called Ghosts of Tsushima or The Ghost of Tsushima (presumably the latter if it’s supposed to be specifically referring to Jin). “Ghost of Tsushima” is just awkward.

5 Likes

I don’t doubt that it’ll be “Good” in the same way as like Spider-Man or God of War, but like them it’ll be a totally unmemorable experience. No friction, no soul, just a homogenous content delivery template.

Woah, that’s a spicy take imo. I agree on Spider-Man, but hard disagree on the new God Of War. I very much loved its gameplay and level design and found it very well crafted, even if there’s of course room for a lot of improvement. I do take issue with the thematic execution of the story, but I don’t think that’s of relevance here.
The gameplay of Ghost looks boilerplate in comparison. Just the standard stuff thrown into there without even an attempt of shaping it into something interesting (which BotW and, yes, I think also GoW, even if to a lesser extend, did). Similar to Horizon, which was a shame, because I think the premise had a lot of potential.

2 Likes

I’m with you that it looks really fun. It’s looks beautiful, the setting is interesting, you can pet foxes, and the combat looks great. I think the blowback is that this game has been built up for two and a half years as one of the centerpieces of Sony’s first party development. So for it to be, in terms of structure, a standard open world action game is kinda disappointing.

1 Like

If they make a game in the vein of AC Syndicate and not Origins or Odyssey (I liked both these games, but I still miss old AC) that also looks really nice I’d be more than happy. I’m interested to see more how the swordplay works.

Admittedly, if I end up having to choose between this and AC Valhalla, I am going to pick Valhalla. But it does still look like a solid open world action-‘stealth’ game. The outfits are very pretty. I wish big game showcases like this State of Play zoomed out and showed someone holding the controller, playing the game, let me get an idea of how that combat feels and show me a few failures (missing the timing or something) so I can see what the flow is like. It seems like the combat has the most potential to be something a bit different.

Also the black and white mode seems… a bit too low contrast, for me at least.

2 Likes

I feel the same, but from the perspective of a huge fan of their PS2 work and everything they’ve done after that is shrug

I’d highly recommend people go play the four PS2 Ratchet and Clank games Insomniac did, then see what they did on PS3 and on with the series. They basically sanded down the cynical and pointed anti-consumerism satire into a bog-standard hero’s journey thing, and then the whole R&C movie thing happened and…it made me sad. Spider-Man felt like a fluke more than anything else, and I expect them to trip up when the sequel releases.

Both them and Sucker Punch tried to become more mature in their non-platforming projects, and none of what they managed ever really interested me or seems to have had much cultural staying power, weirdly. Seeing this just makes me remember when Sucker Punch used to make the Sly games, which had actual color design instead of a very bad black and white filter that amounts to lowering saturation to 0, and really well written characters and stories out of material you wouldn’t expect it from.

The Sly series stood out and they bowed out on a high note to go do other projects, which I respect…but man, all of these projects have just been so like every other game out there. Even Infamous ended up getting its thunder stolen by Prototype, which in itself was just an evolution of some old janky-ass Hulk games.

This just looks like open world game #7266483 but also white guys trying to make Japanese cinema.

5 Likes

The Infamous games still had a ton of SP’s design sensibilities, as far as genuinely really novel ideas for player abilities, and giving the character a sort of magnetic feel when traversing on top of narrow rooftop pathways and spires.

I didn’t see a shred of that legacy here. My cynicism is less rooted in “agh I just hate these sony prestige games”, it’s that these formerly unique creators are being heavily encouraged by the platform holder to make games that fit into a safe, homogenous package.

I’d compare it to the MCU where just about everything there hits a quality baseline of form and function, but rarely ever leaves a deeper impression on anybody. Sony making a new intro that looks almost indistinguishable from the one in newer Marvel movies, is them coming right out and saying that that’s what they’re trying to emulate.

3 Likes

The game looks pretty neat. I thought the video did a pretty good job contrasting the samurai and ghost playstyles.

Have you played Sunset Overdrive? Whatever problems it has - and it does - “sanded down” is definitely not one of them. Probably my favorite Insomniac game since Going Commando.