Summer Games Done Quick 2019

GDQ has posted the list of runs for this year’s Summer Games Done Quick. Amongst the classics, it looks like we’re going to be treated to a relay race of Kingdom Hearts 3 and a TASBot run of Celeste!

Any stand-outs on the list for you folks?

3 Likes

Nuclear Throne, haven’t seen a run of it, but love the game so that can be fun. A Link Between Worlds is a good game and I don’t think I’ve seen a run of that either.

1 Like

looks like someone is speed running minecraft so I guess Ill have to watch that just so I can learn how you beat minecraft

3 Likes

Furi and Chrono Trigger are things I wanna watch. Plus lots of KH3.

2 Likes

It’s when the End Poem appears after killing the Ender Dragon. You can get the rules by hitting “view rules” https://www.speedrun.com/mc#Any_Glitchless

Random Seed is a lot harder than Set Seed and demands improvisation on the fly. Hopefully it’ll make a good run.

3 Likes

Because I’m me, I’m excited for Puwexil to do Chrono Trigger, looks like he’s going to do 100% no glitches as a donation incentive. Probably going to be the finale? I love Puwexil’s runs.

They’ve already got a Kingdom Hearts 3 run set up, which is neat. Obviously going to be a relay but I think it’s funny that they clearly have a duplication restriction on their listing software, because it’s listed three different ways.

MrLlama is back with Diablo 2, I always enjoy those - his game mastery is really something.

Marble Madness is short but one of the neatest and most highly optimized runs in speedrunning.

HL2 is back with an inbounds run, which should be interesting as there’s a new skip on Red Letter Day which I think is an inbounds skip.

Super Metroid is still on break, thank god.

Hell yes more Titanfall2 runs. That run has seen a lot of progress recently, and it’s a beautiful dance of a run.

edit: lolwat, a Brood War run? They’re taking risks this year, fam.

1 Like

Titanfall 2, Prey, Nex Machina, BOTW for me

1 Like

FearfulFerrit did a good run of it for GDQ a couple of years ago, but based on a set seed, so the random seed is the interesting bit, as pointed out by @dogsarecool.

Edit: and I hope the Waypoint team finish TF2 before this so they can watch that run - Bryonato’s run last year was amazing

1 Like

Yeah, a random seed run could take 40 minutes or go over by half an hour, it really is a matter of luck.

1 Like

There’s going to be a run of Castlevania for MS-DOS which should be fun because that port is really bad. Here’s the first level of it if you want to hear the worst version of Vampire Killer ever.

3 Likes

DOS Castlevania looks surprisingly competent and I can’t wait to see the whole thing.

1 Like

If it’s anything as good as the MS-DOS Megaman at the last GDQ, we’re in for a treat!

1 Like

Schedule has been added! Looks to be another brilliant week of speedruns :clap:

1 Like

This isn’t necessarily related to Summer GDQ but any thoughts on Frame Fatales?

I’m personally mixed on it: on one hand I’m glad that there’s a spotlight being shone on women speedrunners after so many years of GDQ being incredibly focused on men with this and I’m happy that Muffins was able to get something like this greenlit but on the other hand it feels a bit like a way for the other GDQ organizers to sideline women out of the main GDQ events.

bumping this thread, since we’re actually in the middle of SGDQ 2019 right now (at present, there’s a very eclectic truck-themed physics racer called “Clustertruck” being run, which is certainly news to me).

Looking forward to the Nuclear Throne speedrun, in just an hour and a half or so now…

2 Likes

please watch the mort the chicken speedrun i can’t stop thinking about it

2 Likes

…that’s definitely a game with cutscenes. I see what you mean.

I watched a bunch of stuff on Sunday and nothing since. Any highlights from SGDQ this year for y’all? I’ve heard the Punch Out Wii run was good?

The Punch Out Wii run was done blindfolded and yes you should watch it

The Cave Story speedrun was impressive, just because it’s a impressive watching anyone doing a pure skill / no glitches speedrun of any game that hard. (I didn’t even know you could get the best ending without collecting a particular weapon, either.) [This is my jam - watching people destroy games that I still can’t get even the bad ending on, after weeks of trying, in about an hour with the best possible ending.]