Summer Games Done Quick 2022 - a thread

Hello everyone: we’re into the first day of the 2022 edition of Summer Games Done Quick, and there’s no thread yet.
(I assume most of the discussion is happening on discord, but I’m not on that, so I’m making a thread here just in case.)

I must admit, maybe it’s just the whole “past 2 years” thing, or maybe it’s the selection of games this year, but this SGDQ doesn’t have many super exciting things on it for me - I find myself looking ahead to AGDQ2023 and hoping it will have Neon White speedruns at high level in it…

I am interested in a relatively-low-glitch Portal 2 speedrun though!

3 Likes

On a “the runner is just good at talking as well as speedrunning” level, the Super Bonk run was actually pretty fun, especially because it’s one of those SNES-era games with no real interest in consistent setting over “we wanted to make a level with these sprites in it”.

2 Likes

I’m generally more interested in low-glitch runs myself (a holdover from the first runs I saw which were Quake Done Quick, although technically strafe jumping was a glitch), so this should be fun!

Two variants of Elden Ring to cap it off, too.

3 Likes

I always try to check out a little bit of everything but coop and races are some of my favourites to watch even when I never played the games in question. Yesterday’s Link’s Awakening remake race was super close and the Pokémon Emerald Randomizer (a romhack in which items and encounters are randomized plus every time your pokémon levels up it evolves into another random pokémon) coop run is going on right now, it’s a beautiful disaster and very entertaining so far! Oh, and the Tunic run had two of the devs as commentators, which was cool.

Edit: I recommend checking out the Super Mario Odyssey run, especially if you’ve never seen the game at this capacity; the movement has been so absurdly optimized over the years that at certain parts the runner barely needs the ground to move around, it’s really impressive and the couch was good as well!

4 Likes

The Super Mario Sunshine run was really cool too, sadly the runner couldn’t quite finish it as planned.

2 Likes

Watching Sekiro speedruns got me to try that game (and the souls series) again so I’m looking forward to this Elden Ring one

3 Likes

Also gotta shout out the Kaizo Mario relay featuring a level (allegedly) made by Maddy Thorson (allegedly).

Edit: AND and a Mario SMG mod where they turned Super Mario into Celeste!! That’s so cool!

1 Like

Omg the Ocarina of Time TAS one is the most incredible thing they’ve ever done. Truly beautiful real time modding of the game:

1 Like

TASBot is always super impressive, but here I think the actual encoding audio apparently? takes much of the biscuit!

1 Like