Super Mario 64 or Banjo-Kazooie?

Super Mario 64 and Banjo-Kazooie are both fantastic video games, but which do you think was the better Nintendo 64 game?

• Super Mario 64
  • Banjo-Kazooie

0 voters

You kind of stacked the deck against B-K here, OP. It’s rather uncontroversial that SM64 is the superior platformer. Its jumping mechanics feel better and fairer, its controls feel tighter, and its jumping puzzles feel more clever. People who make the case that B-K is a better game than SM64, usually point to good qualities in B-K other than those specific to it as platformer. For example, Compared to SM64, B-K has more varied game play and level design (varied doesn’t always mean better), and more interesting and entertaining interactions with NPCs. The worlds in B-K generally feel more alive, the character which populate them have personalities and senses of humor.

I feel like I generally agree with Danielle’s assessment: Mario 64 is way more important. But Banjo Kazooie is a better game.

I also like. Don’t think either holds up at ALL but Mario 64 holds up worse than Banjo.

I like BK more because by design you’re supposed to be able to achieve every objective in the levels the first time you enter them.

I prefer that kind of design to Mario’s mission-based design, or how Yooka-Laylee gates some content behind abilities you get later in the game.

I really meant “platformer” in reference the game genre, rather than the mechanics of it. I should clarify.

I mean “platformer” in the sense of the genre as well, I just define the genre by the mechanics. I was saying that Banjo-Kazooie benefits from taking elements from other genres, such as adventure games, which Danielle argued I think probably correctly.

I removed the genre from the post and switched to just the word “game.” I think that, as you said, Banjo-Kazjooie’s strengths were where it transcended the traditional components of a fifth generation platformer. I know there’s a large group of gamers who would say that Super Mario 64’s highly tuned mechanics make it a better game to them, but I bet there’s also a large group that prefers the endearing, living worlds of Banjo-Kazooie.

BK is a fine game but Mario 64 is a masterpiece. For me it’s no contest.