'Super Mario Maker 2' Gives You More Tools to Create Chaos

I played a whole lot of Super Mario Maker on the doomed-but-delightful Wii U. Perhaps not as much as VICE’s own Mario Maker king, Patrick, but I made half a dozen courses, played daily for awhile, and even ran a little Youtube series for discovering cool and weird stages. This is all to say I’m going into next month’s sequel with high expectations, and after a 90 minute preview event last week, things look to be on track.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/zmpqex/super-mario-maker-2-gives-you-more-tools-to-create-chaos
1 Like

Yeah super Mario maker 2 is one of the games I’m looking forward to the most the rest of the year. I normally don’t preorder, but I’m very tempted to get the 12 months of online bundle, because why not for an extra ten bucks. It did however come out recently that you won’t be able to play multiplayer online with friends, in the most Nintendo ass move of all time, so that’s very disappointing

But multiplayer has rankings; if your friends can join, then you can cheat the rankings integrity~!

“So make an online multiplayer section without rankings? Like the local multiplayer?”

No. Each mode must be special and to our exact specification only.

I do hope online multiplayer with friends will be in the game soon. You would hope its a miscommunication, but this is Nintendo proper we’re talking about. (Pokemon or Sakurai-directed games tend to be a bit more open.)

Also, it is such a bummer that ALL of the online functionality is behind the Nintendo Switch Online subscription. Regardless of the low cost or other benefits, Nintendo hasn’t demonstrated a level or quality or earned a degree of trust for me to be fine with Super Mario Maker 2’s course world being locked behind a paywall.

1 Like