Tactical Tuesdays (XCOM) Thread: Rob & Austin Save The Earth ... Hopefully

This is the thread to comment on, appreciate, flame, enjoy, or armchair quarterback (please don’t actually armchair quarterback) our very own anti-fascist revolutionaries, Rob Zacny and Austin Walker, and their quest to liberate the Earth from the occupying forces of ADVENT.

Youtube playlist of past episodes
(note: it can take a little while before episodes are up here)

Latest episode (sometimes I forget to update this):
Tactical Tuesday #19, July 10 2018

I just think this is a great series and we should have a chat thread about it and Tuesdays in 2018 are going to be awesome. r.i.p. min ji lee

Super excited for this to be a weekly series. Can’t wait for more!

I really enjoyed watching you guys play this game. It might be the only Xcom playthrough that needs a footnote section to keep track of the literary references being thrown around.

New episode up.

I’m loving this series so far, where we have punk boys vs alien centrists.

In XCOM 2, the Avatar project is ADVENT’s win condition. After completing it, the elders want to take care of some kind of psionic monster (or something) at the bottom of the ocean.

In the real world, Avatar is a movie directed by James Cameron. After he made it, he spent a lot of time on his hobby: using small submarines to explore the bottom of the ocean.

I think the kabbalistic implications here speak for themselves.

Oh dang, just saw this thread! Glad it exists. Would love some input on a new nickname for Will, son of Odin!

Shotgungnir, with Gungnir being the name of Odin’s sphere for a terrible portmanteau.

But to go down the rabbit hole of mythological Norse weapons, Skofnung is pretty fucked and fits Shotgun Bill’s m.o. of wrecking shit up.

it was renowned for supernatural sharpness and hardness, as well as for being imbued with the spirits of the king’s 12 faithful berserker bodyguards. A cut by the Skofnung sword spreads until it rips the person apart.

Tyrfing is also so so good but it may be a bad omen to name somebody after a cursed sword.

(from Johnathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, Susanna Clarke)
“When he was a child in Faerie the Sidhe had called him a word in their own language which, we are told, meant “Starling”, but he had already abandoned that name by the time he entered England. Later he took to calling himself by his father’s name John d’Uskglass but in the early part of his reign he was known simply by one of the many titles his friends or enemies gave him: the King; the Raven King; the Black King; the King in the North”
(pic is from the BBC show, which portrayed him kinda looking like the Undertaker)

Possible nicknames for Will:

Vertigo (for the 90s comics)
Aesir (natch)
Schattenjäger (“Shadow Hunter” - ala Gabriel Knight)
Changeling (b/c he’s been placed here from Faerie)

@austin_walker

Heimdallr, one of the sons of Odin, is known as ‘world-brightener,’ and carries the Gjallarhorn, which means ‘loud-sounding horn.’ A shotgun is horn-like, and certainly has a loud sound to it. Firing it could be said to brighten the world, or at least a very, very specific part of the world.

The introductory prose to the poem Rígsþula says that “people say in the old stories” that Heimdallr, described as a god among the Æsir, once fared on a journey. Heimdallr wandered along a seashore, and referred to himself as Rígr.

Just as Heimdallr is anglicized as Heimdal, Rígr can be written as Rig.

Big Rig.

You should call him Big Rig.

I can’t imagine a better idea or back story for an appropriate nickname than this.

Just like to propose that the ravens themselves are Huginn and Muninn, informants of Odin.

New episode! (in OP).

Edit/update (I missed the livestream): Rob has cruelly and unreasonably vetoed “Big Rig”. Discourse dot zone will remember this.

Aw yeah, they chose my name!

See that you do.

Poor William.
Lying in his sickbed, wondering why he suddenly chose to run out of cover.
The ‘imp of the perverse’ must have took control for a moment there.
No wonder the poor guy has demonophobia.

Loving the series so far but I feel the need to point out that Austin and Rob don’t need to worry about losing their weapon mods. When you upgrade weapon tech the game updates all your modified weapons to the newest tech level (unless that is something that was changed in WotC).

So feel free to stick those goodies on all your gear!

Edit: Also consider doing the first mission for the Alien Rulers so you get those sick throwing axes :smiley: I swear watching your solider chunk that thing into the face of an enemy to finish them off never gets old.