That Detective Pikachu Trailer

First of all, don’t kink shame.

Second of all, what fur?

9 Likes

There are definitely designs to be upset about in this movie (why does the monkey pokemon have carnivore teeth) but Bulbasaur ain’t one of them. Little buddy is cute here.

1 Like

Yo that mewtwo tho.

1 Like

the fact that they saw aipoms huge cartoon grin and decided to just give him a huge set of perfectly straight teeth makes me wonder how their gonna adapt some of the more bs pokemon designs.

also that golurk was GOOD.

1 Like

On the one hand, I hope there’s a Garbador

On the other, I think my brain would break

1 Like

Gotta say, Aipom is the one single design so far giving me second guesses about the whole movie. That thing is a nightmare.

2 Likes

It IS a nightmare but I love it. I feel like any other movie would have either just given us a mostly accurate cgi monkey with aipom’s fur pattern or would just stick to the original pokemon designs and have real actors next to cartoony characters. I think what we are getting is preferable & I probably wouldn’t care about the movie if they weren’t this committed to the bit.

1 Like

This just keeps looking better and better

That Pancham and that Pangoro has all my love

1 Like

As someone who growing up can remember key family functions and places by thinking what Pokemon game I was playing then, every time a new promo trailer drops I get imaginably jazzed to watch this movie.

“You wanted to be a Pokemon trainer when you were young.”
“Yeah, that didn’t really… work out.”

This line dropped in the first trailer really gave me faith that this project understood who it’s audience was, and I have had nothing but confirmation of that since.

A cinematic Pokemon movie, what a time to be alive.

4 Likes

I am legitimately impressed by how good, and varied, the trailers have been at this point. My initial amusement and skepticism at the premise of this movie has fully given way to genuine excitement.

4 Likes

When Psyduck hugs Pikachu ooooooo

3 Likes

Just bought my ticket for saturday. I’m so excited!

DANCIN%20PIKA

7 Likes

Important

8 Likes

I think this movie finally broke the Video Game Movie curse.

That was… REALLY good.

2 Likes

Ho boy. Seeing it tonight. Can’t wait!

(I really rated Warcraft though)

haven’t watched any of the trailers or been that into Pokemon since the childhood heyday (beyond an interest in the peculiar nostalgia / strange memories of it*) but I think I’m genuinely down for seeing this for some reason that I can’t quite explain

*largely relating to believing it was full of odd secrets (Mew under the bus rumours, Missigno, etc.) and one resounding memory of when an old friend (sadly no longer w us) called me on my parents’ landline phone because he was stuck in one of the caves, and I spent a good while thumbing through my strategy guide, describing the map down the phone. His phone-distorted exclamation of “hallelujah!” still makes me grin years later

3 Likes

Y’all it’s real good

It’s super cheesy in parts and very in the spirit of previous Pokemon media, and some of it feels a little… safe? even? Or I guess just kinda formulaic plotwise. But it’s really cute and funny and entertaining, and the animation/CGI on all the pokemon is absolutely incredible. I already know I’m gonna watch this a bunch of times to try and catch all the little cameos that different pokemon make.

3 Likes

So is it “good” as in someone without any real understanding and/or investment in Pokémon can enjoy it or does it require a base familiarity? My wife knows nothing about Pokémon or knows the absolute minimum someone can at this point but she enjoys most all movies so long as they are engaging and tell a decent story. Worth going with her or is this going to be a little baffling?

My wife doesn’t like the Pokémon games, but does like Pokémon even though she doesn’t know all of them (she’s picked a lot of it up from me I guess). We went and saw it together and she LOVED it. If nothing else the animation is phenomenal with a bunch of fantasy creatures. I thought it was a gorgeous movie and I’m sure your wife would enjoy it.

In the end, there’s nothing that someone who isn’t a fan of Pokémon would be confused about.

2 Likes

Minus the pokemon stuff, it’s more or less a pretty formulaic buddy cop movie with decent writing, fun acting from the leads, and all around pretty good humor. It really doesn’t explain more than the bare minimum about what pokemon are and how everything works, but I don’t feel like it needs to necessarily. I think it’s pretty enjoyable as long as the person watching isn’t like… actively opposed to the idea of finding the pokemon extremely cute. Because they are so, so cute.

Especially the Bulbasaurs. My god. The little sound they make is ahhhhhhhhhh so cute

3 Likes