That Moment You Realize It's Probably Time to Move on From a Game

Open Thread is where Waypoint staff talk about games and other things we find interesting. This is where you'll see us chat about games, music, movies, TV, and even sports, and welcome you to participate in the discussion.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/a34mza/monster-hunter-world-looting-anjanath

So I find myself in this dilemma frequently because of the multiplayer games I play with my friends and in general the continual trend to games as a service. As games continue to have longer life spans and more support I have found my engagment with a games mechanical loop to only last so long, often less time than it takes to see all the game has to offer in terms of content. As such, going back to staple games with my friend groups can often feel like a chore. I feel bad because, yeah, I want to play games with my friends, but I’d much rather move to a different experience than to return to new content in a game I’ve already played 100 hours of and I’m all too familiar with. Of course, financially that isn’t always reasonable.

As games as a service continues to mature, I hope developers find ways to bring variety to a game that changes the core mechanics in meaningful, interesting ways, but that doesn’t seem realistic either.

A while ago I got back into EVE Online as an experiment.

From the outside I find it an endlessly fascinating thing, but I just wasn’t sure that it was for me. And specifically I wasn’t sure I could be who I wanted to be in the game. I wanted to be sort of chilled out and helpful and friendly, in a game that rewards being ruthless and opportunistic and strictly punishes anyone naive enough not to understand the risks of doing basically anything.

I did join long enough to find a community that had formed around exploration and providing useful travel data to other pilots, which seemed like my kind of crew. Sure enough they were welcoming and I found some value in learning the basics of surviving in that role and contributing.

But I also had to find myself ignoring a lot of mess in the comms, just genuinely abusive stuff that would happen all the time, with no fear of mods getting involved despite the game having guidelines about the behaviour.

And I guess I couldn’t get past that because I opened up the game one day and realised in a very clear moment: ‘I’m not going to play this very much longer’. And it was half-sad and half-relief. Sad because I did see the potential there, did understand why some people would push beyond the real toxic parts of that game community to the bits they enjoy, and sad that I’d be saying goodbye to a bunch of folk who had been nice and welcoming. But also a relief that I had realised early enough that I could extract myself from it fairly painlessly. The whole experience went on for less than a month.

I think that once any game becomes about finding a singular thing the potential for grinding to a halt is enormous.

This happens to me a lot in loot games. Once most loot is sidegrades and I need specific set pieces or pieces that have specific setup of stats, I find games to be a chore. Having alternate modes of progression is enormously important to me for precisely this reason.

I’m still loving Monster Hunter but I’ve played mostly with SOS active or responding to them. I get satisfaction from just helping people out, I’m not really bothered about what loot I’m getting.

I’m mostly bummed out hearing this because it might mean less Monster Hunter videos on Waypoint! I’ve been loving them so far. I need to see yours and Danika’s revenge on Kushala!

I think a big thing that reinvigorates me with MH is switching up weapons and trying to figure out how the new one works. It creates a new experience as I approach the same monsters in different ways and it also requires me to rework my armor sets.

Since Patrick has mainly played hammer, I can understand how grinding one monster (one of the harder ones to hit with your hammer at that) could get frustrating. And that’s okay! I just wanted to say that while this game can get frustrating, it provides a good way to remove that frustration in switching…for me at least.

I love Skate 3 to death. It might still be my favorite video game, y’know, period. It took me from its launch in 2010 to 2016 to finally tire of it to the point where I couldn’t keep going on. The design in the three cities of Skate 3 is so congruent that I’ve been able to still find ridiculous stunts to try (my last straw was spending like an hour and a half trying to front flip into a halfpipe on a boat from an adjacent building). This is why I need a Skate 4, I need a new city and new boats to front flip into.

I can’t help but feeling Patrick did himself a disservice by grinding the same mid level monster repeatedly instead of taking on the new challenges that World is happy to offer. 60 hours is a long ass time, so if it’s time to move on it’s time to move on, but I do think that one of the lies of MH is you have to be max everything to move on, when one of the best feelings is jumping in BEFORE you have all the best equipment and making your way with skill rather than gear.