The 91st Academy Awards (2019) Discussion Thread — 0% Approval Rating For Nominees

If you haven’t already, I highly recommend listening to David Tennant’s podcast where he interviews Colman. They talk about some behind the scenes Broadchurch stuff and honestly it’s jsut a great insight into how downright normal Colman is.

i’m gonna give a top 10 because i would feel bad if i left the last two of these out

1. Spider-Man Into the Spider-Verse
  2. Liz and The Blue Bird
  3. Blinspotting
  4. Annhilation
  5. Hannah Gadsby Nanette
  6. Searching
  7. The Tale
  8. Mandy
  9. Eighth Grade
  10. Shirkers

there are still tons of things from 2018 i wanna watch that i missed that i know i’d love but that’s where i stand 1 day post the oscars in 2019.

(also people should know depending on my mood liz and the blue bird and spider-man are constantly swapping for first , so you might as well put blindspotting in 2nd and tie liz and spider-man for 1st)

I don’t think i’ve actually seen 8 movies from 2018, but let me try to put together a list anyway

1. Roma
  2. Paddigton 2
  3. You were never really here
  4. Annihilation
  5. Widows
  6. Sorry to bother you
  7. Black panther

I think that might be it? I had the chance to see Mandy in theaters but missed it for some reason, and i kinda regret it.

it is actually funny to me how consistently the academy gives awards to “person who most accurately mimicked dead person”. like strictly defining acting as “mimicry” is how a child thinks about acting. over here is a person conveying intense pathos with subtle grace, all of which they personally inferred from the script or were given guidance by the director to shape this character into being from nothing, and over here is a person with fucking buck teeth veneers on who happens to physically resemble the person and has thousands of hours of footage on which to base their performance and so long as they do the thing we all remember them doing (see that? hah! that’s what that dead person always used to do!) the prosthetics mimeography will always get the gold

anyway blindspotting is still my favorite movie of 2018

4 Likes

Very glad Spider-verse and Roma got their respective wins, both are great (Spider-verse in particular is one of the best movies I’ve seen in recent years) but man I’ve got a bone to pick. Where was Mission Impossible: Fallout? It is like the most well-shot, intense action movie I’ve seen since Fury Road, easily. I know there’s a stigma against that sort of blockbuster, and the complete lack of a category for stunts is also a bummer, but god it feels like such a snub for something as good as that not to even get a nod. How could anyone watch this scene and not feel there was an injustice committed at those awards

2 Likes
  1. Annihilation
  2. First Reformed
  3. Sorry To Bother You
  4. Shoplifters (Sakura Andô deserved a best actress nomination for this TBH!!! MAYBE EVEN THE WIN OVER GLEN CLOSE)
  5. Eighth Grade
  6. The Wife (GLEN CLOSE WAS ROBBED!!)
  7. Cold War
  8. Juliet, Naked

I haven’t had the chance to see If Beale Street Could Talk, The Favorite, Blindspotting, Spider-man Into the Spiderverse, Burning, Shirkers, Searching, Mirai, The Rider, Widows and Mission Impossible.

Honorable mention to films I watched and wanted to stick into my top 8 but couldn’t: A Star is Born, Crazy Rich Asians, Mandy, Roma, BlacKkKlansman, McQueen, Hereditary, You Were Never Really Here, Assassination Nation and of course Paddington 2.

1 Like

I watched Shirkers last night and it really won my heart. Would have definitely been among my considerations.

Also, @muffinsyay, Shoplifters did not deeply affect me, but I think it was the best film of last year. Just a wonderful achievement, full of great performances and gorgeous shots. Of everything I watched, it’s the film I think forty years from now we’ll look back on.

1 Like

Can we all just be here together and acknowledge that Rami Malek did a better acting job in Until Dawn? I’m not even joking.

7 Likes

Man I saw, like, three new movies this year. That’s wild, I used to go almost every week. Having a kid is weird, y’all!

2 Likes

Honestly yes.

I never liked him in Mr Robot. Maybe because of the character he was playing. An edgelord hacker sociopath who seems to be able to read people’s weaknesses a mile off. Maybe that was the point but I always felt his performance was a little bit floaty.

He’s good in Bojack Horseman though.

2 Likes

Keeping in mind that there’s still a bunch of stuff from last year that I want to see:

1. Hereditary
  2. Annihilation
  3. Sorry to Bother You
  4. The Favourite
  5. Suspiria
  6. If Beale Street Could Talk
  7. The Hate U Give
  8. Mission Impossible: Fallout

The top 3 are the ones I stan; everything else is good but I have various issues with.

1 Like

Right here with ya, since she was born in July I managed 4 films I think, non of which at the pictures

Fucking hell I knew I recognised his face.