The Always-Online Requirement for 'Gran Turismo 7' Jeopardizes a Great Game

I'm still smitten with Gran Turismo 7. The more time I spend with it, the more I enjoy the vibes, the cars that are available for collection, tinkering with my ride, competing in online events… it's all pretty terrific and feels like a game I'm going to be happily playing for months or years to come. But I'm also increasingly worried that the game's restrictive always-online requirement, and the clumsy way it's been implemented, are going to kill this experience before its time.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/4awp5d/server-outage-hoiwthe-always-online-requirement-for-gran-turismo-7-jeopardizes-a-great-game
1 Like

Good article. I was just about to buy this game before the server outages happened.

2 Likes

I was probably going to wait for a sale, myself, but yeesh, this really sucks!

there’s a lot of what makes modern AAA games feel like an expensive lifetime subscription to a product coded in disappearing ink.

Too true.

This article echoes a lot of my frustrations. I was initially having a lot of fun, and felt that the game was recapturing that uniquely GT rhythm that I loved in the PS1/PS2 days.

But as I’ve gotten deeper into it, the modern headaches of microtransaction reminders, crappy loot box mechanics, manufactured FOMO, and the constant threat of losing progress to a dropped connection have begun to sour the experience.

One thing the article didn’t mention: this server outage also came with an update that adjusted the rewards for several races (mostly to significantly lower the rewards). The microtransaction push is likely going to get more aggressive.

4 Likes

Yeah, this straight up sucks. It’s not the first game to introduce microtransactions after the review window has passed, and it won’t be the last, but I really hate this as a trend.

I know that to a certain degree, it speaks to how unreliable traditional “product review” game reviews are these days, to no fault of the writers of said reviews. So many games change drastically in the current age of “ship and patch it later”, that the game some reviewers play simply doesn’t bare much resemblance to what it looks like a few years later.

But intentionally holding back the scummy monetization parts of your game until after critics move on to other games and the spotlight is off your game? It’s just really gross.

6 Likes