The Best Titles Around

What are your favorite titles?

This can be for a game, a book, a movie, an album, anything, even regardless of the quality of it!

Titles are sometimes more evocative and fascinating than the actual things they are put on. For me, sometimes the things I make are generated by a phrase that becomes the title. What about you? :slight_smile:

Hyper
Light
Drifter

Okay, so I’m a sucker for ridiculously long titles, humorously absurd titles, and titles that have one of those [x] OR [y] constructions, and there’s a painting I saw once that encapsulates all of that. The original title (in Italian) is I believe: “Paessaggio di Miliore di Crotene divorato da un leone o il Crepuscolo.”

That roughly translates to: “View of Miliore of Crotene devoured by a lion, or the Twilight.”

I could only find that title because I loved it so much I wrote it down in the journal we had to keep as part of the program I was on. Also, I promise this painting exists; I can’t find it anywhere on the internet, but it is very real and present in Villa Borghese in Rome.

Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs
is good on its own, but it’s also a pitch perfect setup to call it hamnesia

It’s a subtitle, but Scholar of the First Sin is pretty incredible.

Also the most recent waypoint podcast about robots and stuff made me appretiate Binary Domain as a title a whole lot more. The story is one of people trying to maintain the binary between Robots and Humans, and rejecting the breaking down of barriers that comes with the existence of the Hollow Children and the children of the Hollow Children. The status quo is a Binary Domain, and that’s what’s under threat.

Same, which is why I also love

Dr. Strangelove or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb

as well as

Dr. Langeskov, The Tiger, and The Terribly Cursed Emerald: A Whirlwind Heist

...maybe I also like doctors?

Grabbed By The Ghoulies

A title I didn’t appreciate until I learned that “ghoulies” is British slang for testicles (and the game was made by Rare, a studio based in Leicestershire, England). They made an E for Everyone (or PEGI 3) rated game and then they named it “nabbed by the nuts

I really like The Thing as a title. It manages to be both vague and descriptive at the same time.

I only know it as “the show that was always advertised during the final season of breaking bad,” but Low Winter Sun would be such a good name for something that wasn’t a tv that failed after one season.

Things Fall Apart

Now you’ve got me thinking about The Roots. I think Undun is a really great album title, as well. There’s something about intentional misspellings and grammatical errors in titles that I find intriguing and interesting.

For a book, it’s gotta be Robert C. Trundle’s Camus’ Answer: “No” to the Western Pharisees Who Impose Reason on Reality and for films it’s definitely The Persecution and Assassination of Jean-Paul Marat as Performed by the Inmates of the Asylum of Charenton Under the Direction of the Marquis de Sade (I just love really long titles I guess) and my favourite album title is actually the title of my all-time favourite album, Glenn Branca’s Symphony No. 5 (Describing Planes of an Expanding Hypersphere). It’s a symphony I could listen to a million times and be paying attention to an entirely new part of it every single time, it’s pure genius.

Hoo boy, I didn’t realize how much I loved titles. I’d have to say Robert Pollard of Guided By Voices does a pretty amazing job at giving GBV songs and albums obscure but extremely good titles, like ‘The Goldheart Mountaintop Queen Directory’, ‘Blimps Go Ninety’, ‘Under The Bushes, Under The Stars’, ‘Isolation Drills’. By far my favorite titling story of his is the song ‘Best of Jill Hives’, which the entire basis of was him mishearing ‘Best Years of Our Lives’ at an auto-shop.

For long titles, much of the songs in Sufjan Stevens’ Illinois’ get pretty absurd, but ‘The Predatory Wasp of the Palisades is Out To Get Us!’ sounds adventurous in the way the song is, and ‘Come On! Feel the Illinoise! (Part I: The World’s Columbian Exposition – Part II: Carl Sandburg Visits Me in a Dream)’ sounds real grand, which is appropriate considering that song runs for like eight minutes and talks about a lot of things.

As for others, the first three Superdrag albums (‘Regretfully Yours’, ‘Head Trip In Every Key’ and ‘In The Valley of Dying Stars’), New Order’s ‘Power, Corruption and Lies’, ‘Keep It Like A Secret’ by Built to Spill and Fazerdaze’s ‘Morningside’. I’ve gone on too long.

Twin Human Highway Flares and International Small Arms Traffic Blues, two tMG songs, both do it for me. There are some decent other tMG song titles but I like these two the most. I like that they represent the theming of the songs well.

Since @SuperBiasedMan and @diglett are talking about long titles let’s talk about the full title for Vonnegut’s Slaughterhouse-5:

Slaughterhouse-Five, or The Children’s Crusade: A Duty Dance with Death, by Kurt Vonnegut, A Fourth-Generation German-American Low Living in Easy Circumstances on Cape Cod (and Smoking Too Much), Who, as an American Infantry Scout Hors de Combat, as a Prisoner of War, Witnessed the Fire Bombing of Dresden, Germany, ‘The Florence of the Elbe,’ a Long Time Ago, and Survived to Tell the Tale. This is a Novel Somewhat in the Telegraphic Schizophrenic Manner of Tales of the Planet Tralfamadore, Where the Flying Saucers Come From. Peace.

Some random titles I love:
-House of the Dying Sun
-Betrayer
-Banished
-Ronin
-Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number
-The Long Dark

This is a good thread idea. A few off the top of my head, while I’m waiting for my pasta to cook…

• Kid A (Radiohead as a band name, admittedly as well)
  • Phantom Thread
  • Chrono Trigger
  • Twin Peaks
  • Vineland (not my favourite Pynchon novel, but wicked title)
  • A Visit From The Goon Squad
  • House of Leaves
  • Kentucky Route Zero
  • Lost in Translation

My alarm has gone off, so I’ll leave it at that for now and enjoy some sweet, sweet carbohydrates.

I think the best film title of all time is Guy Maddin’s Cowards Bend The Knee. And as far as oblique sex references go, Leonard Cohen is king and his album title “New Skin for the Old Ceremony” is delicious.

Despite having never engaged with the thing itself, I very much enjoy the title Honkin on Bobo, because I’m pretty sure it could be a euphamism for literally anything. There is not a thing on this Earth that could not possibly be described as Honkin on Bobo.

Band Names and Good Album Names is a game me and my friends play often, and one of my favorite bands is an oft mentioned contender in this game, the band “Cyberbully Mom Club” with their album “Amy Locust Whatever”.

Also I love “Hamlet 2” as it may possibly be the greatest title ever. Simple and sweet, and really terrible.