The Comic Books thread, for talking about Comics in Books

Comics! A tradition as old as visual storytelling. Books! The engine by which humanity enlightened itself. What happens when you put the comics into the books? Usually it’s just beefy guys punching each other and yelling, but sometimes ~amazing things~ can come from the combination!

Stitches by David Small

This is a thread to discuss comic books in all of their forms. I know comic book fans can be super passionate, but let’s try to keep the company wars stuff out of this topic.

So what have you been reading?

What'cha reading?

I’ll start!

I have been on a huge DC kick since Rebirth. My weekly list was huge, but I’ve managed to shave it back to just a handful of titles. For my money, the best three books coming out of DC Comics right now are Green Lanterns, New Super-Man, and (I can’t believe I’m saying this) Deathstroke. It’s hard to beat Christopher Priest and Larry Hama working together on an action/spy thriller book.

I also just finished reading the OGN I linked in the opening, Stitches by David Small. It’s a bio comic about David Small’s childhood and it focuses on a running theme of losing one’s voice. It’s brilliant, beautiful, and touching. Small’s inks are sophisticated and light, which gives everything a kinetic force. I wholeheartedly recommend it.

I recently borrowed and read the majority of Ennis’ run on Punisher MAX, and its a strangely compelling read for what it is, which is an endless murder rampage with a tint in noir. The whole thing is almost unbearably dark and kind of exhausting with few moments of respite like in Preacher. I’m still not the biggest fan of Ennis, but aside from the current Cloonan run (which is pretty good) I can’t tell you any other Punisher runs i’ve actually enjoyed. (I’ve read one Aaron volume and it was okay.)

Aside from that I haven’t read too much comics, I read the first volume of Deathstroke and I was left ambivalent about the whole affair, I heard Priest’s run on Black Panther is good, but I’m not sure when I’ll get the time to read all of it.

I also read Andrew Mclean’s Head Lopper, which has a really enjoyable lo fi style akin to some of Brandon Graham’s art.

I’ve been into DC’s Rebirth as well, though there are a couple Marvel series I’ve been reading too. Mostly following Batman, All-Star Batman, Daredevil, Ms Marvel, etc.

Have also been happy that Warren Ellis’ Injection is back from its hiatus. Highly recommended in terms of unpredictable supernatural-technological thriller crossover stuff. Also happy with his new Wildstorm series, though I’ll admit I hadn’t read the original takes very much. Anyone else reading that and know the background?

Dude Deathstroke is fantastic. And I have traditionally disliked the character. Priest is just so damn good.

I am in the same boat as you. Deathstroke has never been that compelling to me and his New52/DCYou solo book only made me like him less. I am so glad Priest is back on the scene.

Ennis’s Punisher MAX run is one of those books I know should read, but haven’t yet. It looks amazing from everything I’ve seen, but I don’t know if I will ever be in the right headspace for something that grim.

Same. I’ll even read his upcoming Inhumans mini, which is a franchise I don’t give a fuck about.

I just found out Patsy Walker aka Hellcat just ended and I am so bummed

I discovered it on Marvel Unlimited and it is a gem

I don’t know why, but as I’ve gotten older I’ve stopped caring about the big Earth shattering crossover events Marvel does all the time. I just want more entertaining self contained stories like Hellcat and the She Hulk arc that preceded it.

I love Hellcat, its so calm and nice, plus Britney Williams’s art on it is just impeccable. She’s really great on Goldie Vance, which is another excellent all ages comic. She-Hulk’s great! I’m not sure about the new series because I haven’t had the chance to read it yet, but it has Mariko Tamaki on it, whom I love.

I’m not sure if Marvel has the ability to put out great events anymore, I think Secret Wars was Okay, but only because Hickman was writing Avengers/New Avengers for years in preparation for it.

I would probably read some of the non max Ennis Punisher on Marvel Unlimited, and then imagine that with uncensored swearing, violence and nudity, and thats pretty much it. That’s the series with Steve Dillion so if you’re a fan of Preacher, thats probably the bag.

Also side thing, a strange thing I’ve encountered, Marvel doesn’t do a great job of tagging some of their older comics. Trying to search up Ennis returns almost nothing. Not quite sure why, maybe they wanted to make the parental advisory stuff harder to find.

I snatched up both volumes of the new Archie series and now I’m eagerly awaiting the third. Its such an interesting thing. A slightly more mature, or at least…fleshed out, look at the sort of high-school drama schlock but still slapstick in a way that feels really really fun.

I wish I could support it better in a way that didn’t involve buying individual issues, because I so vastly prefer waiting till they’re collected

I’ve been enjoying Snotgirl by Brian Lee O’Malley and Leslie Hung, a drama about an allergy-ridden fashion blogger with some mystery elements.
Green Valley by Max Landis, a pretty standard knights and time travel tale.
Archangel also by William Gibson is a time travel alternate WWII story (though the payoff has been abominable, they’re on issue 4 of 5 and there was an unannounced 6-month gap between issues 3 and 4).

I’ve been re-reading the Mark Waid & Chris Samnee run on Daredevil. Still a great book. Need to pick up Nameless City Vol. 2 by Faith Erin Hicks. Also enjoyed the first two volumes of “Pluto” by Naoki Urasawa. It’s a really good murder mystery/reimagined take on Astro Boy.

On the webcomic side of things I’ve been reading the magical girl comic Sleepless Domain by Mary Cagle, and my friend Zeek Staton’s comic The Empathy Drive.

Seconding Ennis’ Punisher MAX run.

If you can get it, I also recommend his recent(ish) run on Fury MAX. Imagine Punisher MAX but on a global scale with all of the cynicism that would come with following a protagonist who is a witness and participant to some of the biggest American foreign policy blunders of the modern century.

It’s a grim, but fascinating look at what conflict can do to a man.

Things I’ve read recently:

• Aliens: Dead Orbit (James Stokoe does an Aliens comic)
  • Injection #12 (Warren Ellis doing this blend of folk horror and Pattern Recognition era Gibson? Kind of hard to pin this one down)
  • Black Hammer (existential superhero comic by Jeff Lemire)
  • Jughead: The Hunger (another great Archie horror comic)
  • The Flintstones (it’s really good!)
  • Batman, Superman, Moon Knight, Nightwing

Also, while I’m here, I’d recommend reading Sam Alden’s Haunter. It’s amazing.

It can be found here (in full).

I am really looking forward to Tom King’s new New Gods book he has been teasing on twitter. His runs on The Vision and Omega Men make him the perfect writer to bring that concept back. Also, I am still waiting for my Johnathan Hickman Legion of Super Heroes dammit!

As for books I am actually reading, if anybody likes superheroes but feel that DC and Marvel don’t have much to say anymore, they should check out Valiant Comics. Also, as you can tell from my avatar, I’m a big fan of Young Animal.

Since you guys are talking about Punisher, I’d like to mention that Punisher Born and Punisher: The Tyger are two of my favourite stores ever told with that character.

I strongly suggest checking out the Jughead comic as well. It’s less drama and more gags but still really entertaining. There is an arc where Jughead has to come to terms with the fact that he is falling in love with a burger mascot and it is amazing.

Punisher Born is great. The ending completely switches your POV on the character.

Punisher The Cell is also a great done in one issue by Ennis.

Oh and Punisher: The End is a pretty relevant story in these times.