The Comic Books thread, for talking about Comics in Books

I have read it. There are sections I really like. It’s damn fascinating. I love how it starts out as Morrison’s manifesto on comic history and becomes this meta-textual meditation of comics and their place in mythos.

Agreed he reads better in chunks. I ultimately ended up loving his X-men run, and his GoTG run reads better once you realize it’s a giant tribute to Bwahaha-era Justice League. (Also Daredevil, Alias and USM are probably his best Marvel work). His Avengers run should have been shorter tho IMO.

Re: Multiversity.
I don’t think it’s bad. Pax Americana and that SHAZAM! story own. I just think the whole meta narrative fell apart towards the end, and it was a bit uneven. That being said, a Morrison “failure” is more entertaining than some writer’s successes.

Re: Supergods
Read it and have my copy signed by Morrison. It’s a neat read, but I remember David Brothers taking Morrison to task about some comments about race.

Re: Final Crisis.
Finished my re-read last night. Missing my copies of Superman Beyond and the Batman tie-ins really does fuck with the story in the middle, Green Lantern stuff aside. And the art kinda suffers as JG Jones misses various deadlines, and more and more fill in artists are brought in. But holy hell when this story works, it works, especially when it comes to the characters Morrison likes (Tawny, Kyle & Guy, Superman and Mister Miracle II).

Regarding Multiversity:
I love Multiversity. I kept it in my desk drawer for months because I kept re-reading it so much. My favorite issue used to be Society of Super-Heroes based solely on Doc Fate, but at the moment is Pax Americana. That’s probably because I just read through it again this week.

Pax Americana works on a zillion levels, but my pet take is how it’s a commentary on deconstruction in the form of a deconstruction. When compared with the “Oblivion Machine” concept from Ultra Comics, Pax becomes a tangled knot meant to keep the reader in a studious mode where they devote their time to understanding its secrets. The real not-so-secret is how the book points to nothing except itself (“Keep asking questions – until the pattern becomes clear. Until the hunchback – becomes the soldier!”). It’s a recursive meta-narrative loop which hopes to trap the inquisitive reader indefinitely. A concept is deconstructed, but eventually this new form of the concept becomes normal. This reformed concept, in turn, begs to be deconstructed and the cycle continues.

Obviously my reading is all speculation and theory, but the brilliant thing about a lot of Morrison’s books is that you can read them any way you want and you’ll probably be a little right.

The part in Supergods that caught my attention is where he’s talking about the Sekhmet Hypothesis in relation to the comic projects he decided to do.

I really need to read that book. This is fascinating.

On Final Crisis and Multiversity, I have a drive to read (re-read in the case of FC) those books, but its also totally subdued because I know that my go-to Morrison event is probably always gonna sit in the deep weirdness of Seven Soldiers and I’ve come to accept myself for this weird fact.

Also, that double-set of volumes that DC reprinted Seven Soldiers in is a weird read because they go through in story order but for one half of the characters in one volume and then the other half in the other volume (IIRC), and that is a strange way to read an already strange comic.

Ok now I really have to go back and reread some parts of Multiversity (which I should have done anyway after it was done, given how circular it is).

Re: Millar and Ultimate comics, I’ve gone through multiple periods in my life where I briefly get into comics for a little bit, and Ultimate X-Men was one. I’d like to think that even when I was younger, I could feel that those books were trying so HARD to mean something – like @chaosyoshimage was saying, it was either a satire or modernization, but couldn’t balance that. (But to be honest I think when I was younger all I really noticed was the shocking amount of gore.)

This Morrison talk is good and pure and full of Kirby Krackle.

Semi-related, anyone picking up Injustice 2 today? Waiting for Amazon to deliver my copy for the PS4.

Ultimate X-Men is the weirdest long-running thing. And also it never really got past being the most grim and violent thing until like the very end of Ultimate Comics X-Men, which was very interesting but also so wildly distant from anything anyone who wanted an ‘X-Men comic’ would suggest as happening in one.

And Injustice 2 doesn’t drop over here until Friday, so I’m just taking this extra time to umm and aww over which version to get.

I read Supergods and I loved it. Alot of the work gave me a new appreciation for comics I had come to dislike. For example his section on Jack Kirbys New Gods offered a good defense of Kirbys dialogue in those comics which to me always came off as stilted.

Have any of you read Prophet, by Brandon Graham? Slash anything else by Brandon Graham? I’ve been having a real good time reading King City, in particular

@TheAnarCHris Already picked it up for PS4. Loving it so far, and after recently replaying the first game and catching up on the comic, I am all-in.

Also, hey, nice avatar!

I might be a little late on Morrison talk, but I cannot recommend his recent mini series Klaus highly enough. Like All-Star Superman (which for me is arguably the best use of ink and paper in human history), he is limited by length so he really hones in on a few ideas. It’s just executed so well and Dan Mora’s art on it is really spectacular. Just phenomenal panel structure and line art and colors from him. Toe to tip goodness out of Dan Mora on Klaus.

@Vonwalt I have read 1 issue of Prophet and it is that good shit. That real good shit.
King City I both have more affection for and less. When I last read it, I tried to get into the story, but it didn’t work for me at all. However, at some point it became a thing where I would just turn each page and spend a solid minute taking in the art. Just absorbing every detail. His lines and world building are just unbe-fucking-lievable. Some people in the Waypoint discord are trying to convince me to re-read it and give the story another chance, and I think I might do it just to take in the art again. Do you think I should?

Pretty much everything Brandon Graham is super on-my-list, but I just enjoy his Twitter feed a lot, and his issue on WicDiv was really fantastic in the art depart (I can’t say it was the best of that arc, but that arc is just wildly amazing so hard competition).

his issue on WicDiv was really fantastic in the art depart (I can’t say it was the best of that arc, but that arc is just wildly amazing so hard competition).

As someone who’s active in the WicDiv fan base, I see a lot of mixed opinions on that arc (they named it “Commercial Suicide” for a reason)- you’re one of the first people I’ve seen to say you really enjoyed it. What’re some reasons you enjoyed it?

I mean, it was a weird arc to be reading while it came out because it was basically like treading water on the story, so I get why people might dislike it (I kinda accepted it because I was just very excited for Phonogram 3 to finally be happening). But I just really liked seeing the deep character development partnered up with a set of really good artists.

There was only one issue where I wasn’t really into the art, which was the Kate Browne one, and that still at least had forward motion. But I mean, between Tula Lotay (I actually have her variant for that issue up as a framed print, and it is a gorgeous piece), Brandon Graham, Stephanie Hans, Leila Del Luca and that amazing McKelvie remix issue, it was just like an incredible art show, if nothing else. Like, that Tula Lotay issue might be the best single issue of the series and one of my favourite singles in year, and the others all had really fascinating character development.

Honestly, I don’t pay attention to comics, but I dig some comic art. Should I start a new thread for that, or post things here?

The art in general that he does is a real selling point for me, because all those scenes of big weird cityscapes full of tiny details and jokes are so fun to look at.
I like the story of King City a lot, so i’d side with the discordites and say give it another shot!

Yo prophet is so good it’s given me so many ideas for space D&D

I had no idea he’d worked on the Wicked and the Divine! that might get me to actually check it out again.

Yes! Prophet blew my mind. I meant to suggest it for the trade volume club, but I forgot. I’m looking forward to finally getting into Island this summer