The Comic Books thread, for talking about Comics in Books

The one that’s part of Seven Soldiers, right? If so it works way better when paired with the other minis. Obviously that’s very hard to put together after the fact, but it can be done.

Also I read Metal #2 and it kind of turned me around on the concept. It is pure Comic Book Stupid and I appreciate that.

It was. I may revisit that whole thing if i can find the trades for cheaper/another digital sale.

And yeah, Metal is a VERY dumb story played straight which is part of it’s charm. Obviously it’s something Snyder/Capullo set up YEARS ago, so I do appreciate the level of craft involved to tell this story, but it;s still v silly.

New Runaways: really good first issue in my opinion.
It’s not even the whole team yet it’s just two people yelling at each other and yeah alright I’m here for that.

I heard the first arc was ‘getting Gert back’ and I expected it to take a few issues, haha.

I was really surprised by how much I liked it. I’m not a huge Runaways fan, but I read enough of the Brian K. Vaughan run to get excited every time they trot out the Runaways characters. (My fave Runways comic is actually the Runaways/Young Avengers crossover in Civil War, but that is neither here nor there.) As a first issue it was refreshingly unconventional and I am on board.

Southern Cross looks interesting, cosmic horror one of my favorite genres i’ll have to check it out.

Lately I’ve read Tetris: the games people play by Box Brown, which not only covers the entire story of Tetris but the base concept of games themselves; why we play them, how they effect us. Highly reccomended.

He even covers the origins of Nintendo! I knew about th hanafuda cards but didn’t know they also made grabby claws and love testers! Those animal crossing new years gifts totally make sense now…

Also, Nameless by Grant Morrison, cosmic horror, an occult expert is sent to the moon to investigate an asteroid headed for earth with arcane markings on it…weird stuff, great art, not a disaster movie at all hell im not even sure if the asteroid exists.

There were a really good couple of episodes of Strip Panel Naked last month. They cover different aspects of how Asterios Polyp uses lettering and multiple art styles to establish character. I highly recommend them.

@sputnik Yes! Nameless is great! What a fun, disgusting, horrifying ride. Also I guess I’m putting Tetris: The Games People Play on my ever-expanding to-read list because that sounds awesome.

Hey, hi! So, I’m pretty new to reading comics but I’ve recently tried looking for different stuff to check out. I’ve read the Ta-Nehisi Coates “Black Panther” series and absolutely loved it, especially the writing, setting and themes of race. Currently I’m checking out Coates’s “Black Panther and The Crew” but there aren’t a lot of issues left, so I was wondering if there was anything else out there might feature the same kind of writing and social issues as themes?

Hey welcome to comics, they are pretty great and I’m glad you’re giving the medium a shot.

“March” is probably something worth your time. It’s not a super hero joint like Black Panther, BUT like Panther it is very very good.

On the spandex side of things there’s the short lived Nighthawk series, that would eventually lead into Occupy Avengers.

In other news, glad to hear Runaways is good. I’m probably trade waiting it, but I’m glad fans of the BKV era are digging it.

After seeing a story about it having a future as yet another in a long line of CW adaptations involving dramatic teens and the supernatural, I finally got off my ass and grabbed a copy of volume one of The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, which as it turns out is very good. It’s got a pleasantly pitch-black humor to it which I can appreciate, and the art is excellent. The writing reminds me of old horror comics from the 1960s, which is appropriate as that’s when the comic takes place. Sabrina’s aunts are particularly funny, and yes of course Salem the cat is a part of this are you crazy? Now I just need a dark reboot of Clarissa Explains it All where she’s a paranoid conspiracy theorist and I’ll never want for any other properties mining my nostalgia for shows starring Melissa Joan Heart.

It also reminded me that I keep meaning to check out a couple other comics about witches, which I cannot remember the names of - perhaps you can help me, forum people. One was about the witches from Macbeth, the other is about a small town that gets put under siege by witches because the cops are corrupt and bad.

There’s Wytches from Scott Synder and Jock, but I don’t think that’s what your talking about. Maybe Black Magick from Greg Rucka and Nicola Scott? The Third Witch is deffo the Macbeth comic.

This week’s pull
PP: The Spectacular Spider-Man: Fun, but Adam Kubert’s art is the weak link here.
Cave Carson: wrapped up slightly more nicely than Shade, eager for more next year.
BUG!: Gorgeous, but quite forgettable unless you’re super into obscure Kirby creations.

Third Witch is in fact the thing I was thinking of (it is apparently out under the name Toil and Trouble, though, and not the Third Witch? Weird).

The comic I was thinking of wasn’t Black Magick, as it turns out - it was Redlands. I have grabbed the first couple issues and will be back with my expert comic opinions which are neither expert nor, I suspect, even good.

Thanks for your help!

Redlands is… intriguing enough, I think. The conceit (three witches in control of a small town in Florida) is pretty good, and rather like Sabrina the comic does not shy away from the fact that the three are… less than good (this is something Issue 2 makes clearest, as they murder a young high school girl because they needed a virgin for a yearly ritual, and they’ve been in command of the town for a good 30-40 years at that point, meaning… well, do the math. That’s a lot of dead children. And yet, the comic makes them preferable to the alternative - a minor character in the opening opines simply that he’d rather be ruled by monsters than those who were running the town before (your stereotypical small town Sheriff type - did I mention the story starts in the 60s and there’s some gender and racial politics at play? No? Well, consider this a mention - goodness knows its part of what drew me to this comic in the first place). This first arc has them against a serial killer/warlockian pretender to the throne. The first issue shows how the three came to power - I presume the next few issues will show how they keep it. There’s also hints of other dark dealings which may come back to bite our protagonists in the ass. I’m interested to see where it goes so I went ahead and subscribed. I also really like the artwork in this - it’s got a horror comic vibe that is not entirely unlike The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina and it fits the southern gothic stylings of the narrative itself. For now at least I’ll keep an eye on it and see where it goes (is the racial/gender politic-centric stuff going to stay? It’s a lot lighter in the second issue, but then again it is three women of varying races against a white dude who feels entitled to their affections so, probably not? I’m looking forward to it)The first two issues are out and available on Comixology if you’re like me and lack any sort of comic shop in your neighborhood (if you do happen to have a comic book shop in your area GO PATRONIZE IT, GOOD LORD).

Toil and Trouble
is a six-part miniseries which tells the story of Macbeth from the standpoint of the three witches. That was enough to get me to read it and love it, but hey maybe you need some more incentive so how about this:

It’s written by Mairghread Scott, who you may know from her run on Windblade (fun fact: I once had breakfast with Mairghread Scott and didn’t realize who she was until I asked “so what do you do for a living?” We were at a hotel in San Diego for Comic Con, and I will always feel like a complete knob for blurting out “holy shit you’re that person” when the penny finally dropped, i.e. she said “oh I’ve done some work on comics like Transformers.” Lord spare me from ever meeting people I respect in public again. This is the same Comic Con where my buddy had to force me to talk to David Malki because I was experiencing a mild panic attack. Malki is, by the way, a lovely fucking human being and I was much less on edge when meeting comic people I admired as a result of him being so kind. Right, digression over), and she delivers a tale of Scotland’s history while also addressing family and the ways family sucks and is also great and also loss and pain and, oh yeah, also the whole story of Macbeth is in there. My one complaint is that I feel like she had more than six issues worth of stuff she could have done! I would have liked to see more of the witches, they are all delightful. The art is also absolutely gorgeous (it reminded me a little of Pretty Deadly (man, will we ever see more Pretty Deadly? I do not ask for much Lord Jesus but give me more Pretty Deadly)), and the colors especially were very, very good. An overlooked gem that I’m glad I finally got around to reading.

Every issue of Kill Or Be Killed is haunted by the looming threat that the comic’s self-awareness will falter in exactly the way you might expect it to, and every issue manages not only to toe the line like a gymnast, but to manipulate its self-awareness in a way that is startlingly effective. The (unreliable) narrator is aware of crime story tropes as he tells his tale, self-consciously pointing them out as they approach, and then the author, Brubaker, subverts them in some subtle and brilliant way that makes me swoon, rather than making me cringe as this sort of thing normally does.

I super, very, extremely highly recommend this book.

KSD has confirmed more Pretty Deadly is one it’s way, confirming a Vikings arc at some point!

It’s growing on my as it develops. The first arc left me lukewarm, but as it goes and develops, I’m appreciating more and more what the book builds early on in those first issues.

I have recently been looking into DC Rebirth comics, and I must say, the Button was fantastic! Can’t wait to see what Doomsday Clock has to offer. Other than that, I found the Batman Rebirth line really enjoyable.

Anybody got their eye on God Complex? Looks like it could be pretty cool.

Last week’s pulllist:
Saga- Very good, to the surprise of no one.
Batgirl: The art makes for a very slim Dick Grayson, but also reminds me of Mike Wieringo. Into it.

This week it’s All Star Batman, Hawkeye and Motor Crush. I MAY pick up Batman: The White Knight, or just wait for trade. Murphy’s art is good, but his writing isn’t as strong as the people he’s worked with in the past.

@Jonny_Anonymous I’d never heard of it before, but this looks pretty cool. I’ll be keeping my eye on it from now on for sure.

@TheAnarCHris The marketing for White Knight is rubbing me the wrong way. I’ll wait for reviews on issue 1 to see if I pick it up.

Providence act 3, which finishes up a great horror series. As usual I wish Moore would include some kind of appendix or footnotes (the only book I can remember him doing so is From Hell) because of the densely packed references.

The Lovecraft Anthology volume 1(edited by Dan Lockwood, a collection of Lovecraft stories in comic form. Found it randomly in library and Moore’s book made me realize I don’t really remember H.P.’s stories that well at all.

Last is Southern Cross vol 1, Becky Cloonan, all the pieces are there (cosmic horror mystery sci fi) but it’s not not clicking with me yet, hopefully by vol 2.

Sorry for all the pics and the shiny spots!