The Comic Books thread, for talking about Comics in Books

Belated thank you for reminding me I had a new Giant Days to read

This is beautiful

So it looks like Disney is trying to buy Fox.

wow

I’m literally reading one Big 2 book right now (Mister Miracle), and I don’t think I’ve ever actively kept up with a Bendis book…and yet I’m still floored.

This is really huge. I haven’t been the biggest Bendis supporter in recent years (I think the last book I actually liked from him was New Avengers!), but his influence on the comics industry is undeniable. I wonder if he’s being brought in for strictly comics work or if he’ll be joining Geoff Johns as a movie consultant as well. This could be really good for the Big Two and the industry at large, but then again I’m a romantic optimist. Either way it’s a big change.

I really hope it doesn’t happen. We need less Disney stranglehold on entertainment, not more.

@Skippy @Jonixman It feels huge, especially with Copiel now off doing creator owned with Millar. That being said, it’s definitely a win for all parties. Marvel needs some new blood or let someone like G Willow Wilson or Al Ewing or Ryan North handle the books Bendis was on, Bendis needs some new toys to play with, and DC gets someone like Bendis in their ranks. I wonder if Marvel is going to pouch some talent in return, or try to get someone like Fraction, Reminder or Hickman back.

Bendis going to DC is insane. I always thought he would end up being Marvel’s Geoff Johns and get a corporate position and never leave. I LOVE BMB’s run on Daredevil and Jessica Jones but kind of hate his Avengers and X-Men stuff.

I liked his New Avengers run up until Heroic Age, then I dropped that book like a bad habit.

I’ll defend his X-run though, at least the Uncanny side of things. That finale is criminally underrated imo.

This is what I’m really wanting. I hope Marvel takes this as an opportunity to diversify and/or promote those that have been successful lately. I feel like I haven’t really read much Bendis in the past except probably bigger events and the recent Riri Iron Man. Hopefully this shakeup leads to more interesting content from both DC and Marvel.

Agreed. Books like Miles and Defenders could definitely benefit from having younger creators on it, and the alt text gags from Squirrel Girl make Ryan North 10000% more qualified than anyone else to write Doreen’s friend Iron Man.

I am now less optimistic.

What’d you all read today?

Just Mister Miracle for me, which I loved. I’m not sure what I’m supposed to feel about the veggie tray running gag(?) but I know I feel strongly about it.

This issue is finally getting at more of the metanarrative stuff I wanted from the series since the panel where Scott noticed Barda’s eyes are a different color. So I’m pretty happy for that.

Mister Miracle: If Rebirth is DC’s Marvel Now, Mr Miracle is it’s Hawkeye. Amazing book
Batman: Lost: Something something BUckley.
Squirrel Girl: HOWARD FUCKS. Also Jim Davis apparently.

Essex County Collected by Jeff Lemire, some great stories in here. My favorite was a short near the end called Essex County Boxing Club, maybe because it was a light entertaining tale after a book of stories filled with loss and regret.

Redlands #4 is out, and comes close to making up for how disappointing I’ve found the last couple issues. It spends time diving into some of the other characters around the town (well, a couple of them anyway) and makes some more gestures at what the first arc might deal with. I was ready to give up on it after the last issue, but this one has at least bought them a little more time. At this point I’m just crossing my fingers and hoping it gets better.

I really appreciate these reviews as a trade-waiter. I’m always worried a book could just fall apart after the first issue in a collected edition.

THIS WEEK IN COMICS:
Zdarsky-co Spider-Man. Art was BADDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD, decent enough script
BUG!: Art was GREAT, the script was dense as hell.
Hawkeye: KATE AND LAURA AND GABBY AND LUCKY AND AN ACTUAL WOLVERINE, WHAT A DELIGHT!
WicDiv: Well what do we have he-OH GOD MY BEAN. THEY FREAKED MY BEAN. OH GOD, IT’S SO FREAKED.