The Comic Books thread, for talking about Comics in Books

@TheAnarCHris Were you the one who tweeted the beanfreak gif in relation to this issue? If so, thank you for finding a perfect way to describe it.

Today’s issues:

• Generation Gone #5: Really good finale to a solid first arc, although everything went mostly as I expected it would until the “two months later” segment, which intrigued me the most. It makes me think I’ll like the second arc more than the first, although I feel that way about a lot of books.
  • East of West #35: I’ve always appreciated how this book is willing to take its time, even if it can be kind of frustrating with the hiatus. This issue was genuinely pretty domestic and wholesome! Well, uh, except the first scene.
  • WicDiv #33: As I stated above, my bean, too, is freaked. Trade-waiters and people getting the issue late, be very careful. I keep thinking about how well this issue was set up and getting increasingly mad at Kieron Gillen. His writing’s just too good!

Yes, that was I using a gif of our sweet baby brother getting his mind FREAKED.

And what kills me about WicDiv is that IT WAS THERE THE WHOLE TIME. LIKE DAY 1 THERE. GAH, MY BEAN!

Who knew Kenny Omega was going to be in the Punisher show.

So I had to do an interview for my Production I class, and while the production quality isn’t great, the information that he talks about seems right up this thread’s alley.

Here’s a short interview I conducted with Troy Hickman: writer for City of Heroes, Common Grounds, and more.

Enjoy.

Reading Bacchus Omnibus, volume 1, Eddie Campbell. I love From Hell so when I saw this in the library thought I’d give it a try. It’s fairly massive, so might take me a while.

I am quietly furious with myself for being so intrigued by Doomsday Clock, which comes out tomorrow. I haven’t decided if I will pick it up or not, and I am going to be livid when I inevitably do.

The reviews I’ve seen have been equal parts positive and baffled by how positive they are. I’ll definitely check it out because I’m a mark for Gary Frank’s art.

Skipping Doomsday Clock. I’m sure the comics new sites will spoil the big stuff.

DOOM PATROL THIS WEEK, AFTER 1000 YEARS, I AM HYPE.

In more ethically created comics news, Twisted Romance looks super rad and I will definitely read it. I’m all for romance comics, anthologies, and playing with publishing schedules/structures.

I recently discovered that my local library has the first few volumes of Squirrel Girl.

I’ve read the first 3 and it’s so gosh dang pure and good and nice.

Comixology is doing a their March to Black Friday DC sale. Pretty much every DC trade, including some of the newer Rebirth volumes are on sale.

I read the first issue of Fence (Boom! CSPacat, Johanna the Mad) and it feels very Sports Anime? These boys are intense about fencing. I’m excited to read more!

“But most of all, FENCE is about the characters—with intense rivalries, lifelong friendships, and the thrill of romance between teammates—a diverse cast and a story that is exuberantly queer”

yesssssss

It’s very “Hey yall read Yuri On Ice” the comic. Which I’m here for. But I also imagine the marketing has to be “oh no, this is totes a sports comic” so that…lesser…comic shops carry it.

@NooodlesDotLife YEAH IT IS! $15 later and now I own Multiversity, The Return of Bruce Wayne and Mr. Miracle.

@BBAlpert Spoilers: Squirrel Girl is the best.

Pax Americana was still better.

I completely agree.

I finally got around to reading WivDic 33 and am SO excited for the next arc but also for the Christmas Special in which Kris Anka is going to be doing a bit of!

In other news, I decided to start watching Runaways on Hulu after starting the new run and am enjoying it so far though I’m only 3 episodes in. It starts pretty slow with lots of exposition and slow rolling out of stuff I know from 2 issues of the new run. I’m excited to see where it goes, though!

Pax Americana was easily the BEST thing in Multiversity, although I REALLY REALLY REALLY like the Cam Stewart SHAZAM! story.

@quartermoose I think I speak for us all when I say I’m very excited for Anka X-mas XXX times.

Now that I’ve had a bit more time to digest Doomsday Clock #1 I find myself in a strange place. It isn’t Watchmen 2. Not really. I didn’t want it to be necessarily, but a little part of me was hoping for one more hit of “wow I’m reading Watchmen!” It doesn’t deliver on that, but it still has a soul. It’s not a cash-in… At least not completely. And that puts me in a weird spot as an advocate for creator’s rights and as an advocate for comics being viewed as a legitimate artform.

Let’s get this out of the way: Geoff Johns’s writing is far too obtuse to grasp Moore’s rich tapestry of drama, deceit, and domino masks. His characters are a shallower and his sense of pacing prioritizes spectacle over mood. It just doesn’t stand up to direct comparison in that way. The situation with Doomsday Clock is more like a younger painter referencing an older painter’s work by appropriating subjects and compositions in a new painting. It doesn’t change what the old painting was or what it stood for, but it does change the context in which it exists. It is now part of a direct lineage of art which could easily continue on in some form, for better or worse. Michelangelo’s Pieta will always be the benchmark against which all other Pietas are measured. Young sculptors may see that Pieta and want to make their own take on it, but it will always be a reaction to – and often an appropriation of – Michelangelo’s work. Same goes with Watchmen.

Doomsday Clock is the second appropriation of Watchmen to use its characters and the third in the last decade by DC (not counting Rorschach’s appearance on a cover of Countdown Arena since he didn’t appear in the book). Instead of Morrison’s love-hating pastiche or Before Watchmen’s misguided sentimentality, Johns opts for an atemporal direct synthesis of Watchmen and the genre which it irrevocably changed. This decision comes with certain requirements. The first issue of Doomsday Clock establishes a connection the reader should have with the original. I believe it is impossible to comprehend it without having read Watchmen. Obviously this is all based on one issue of a 12-part series, but I believe Doomsday Clock is a valid entry in Watchmen’s lineage.

Of course all of that is put into stark relief when one considers the ethical concerns of a massive corporation screwing one creator out of his rights for decades and then using his characters without his consent. Though he refused DC’s new deal in 2010, Moore still has a right to be angry.

@TheAnarCHris
I don’t know if I can judge any one part of Multiversity better than any other. Morrison essentially presented me a sampler tray of my favorite superhero things in equal portions. Pax Americana is probably the best constructed issue of the series, though.

Marvel Unlimited finally included the rest of Kireon Gillen’s run on Darth Vader recently so I sat down and went through it all and hot damn is it a good fucking book. You get a proper evil Darth Vader who is also immensely tortured by the last vestiges of his better nature. You get the Emperor in full-on gloating, shitty mastermind mode a la the end of Return of the Jedi. You get the two greatest assassin droids on god’s green earth, and also Doctor Aphra, who is so good they gave her a series of her own after Gillen’s run was over (I’ve read a few issues of that too, and it is equally good).

It’s sent me down a bit of a Star Wars comics hole - which means I’ve been wading through the Knights of the Old Republic series that Dark Horse did, and while I am not… immensely fond of some of the arcs (it is, after all, obliquely responsible for the creation of the shittiest Skywalker, Cade) I do kind of love it in spite of itself.

Oh, and the Lando miniseries they did a few years back? Exquisite.

My boyfriend read all three of the Marvel Star Wars series you just mentioned and absolutely loved them. He would occasionally show me random panels of the assassin droids because they were written so well!