The current anime thing

Io9 posted a huge piece on Vic Mignogna. Worth a read.

(CW Sexual Assault/Harassment mentioned)

Ugh the ad loading is screwed up on crunchyroll again, just as i get hooked on anime cats I’m cut off.

I’ve never seen Gundam 0080 War in the Pocket, but sounds great (I really enjoyed how 08th MS Team got at the real robot warfare and it’s vietname war-esque settings matched that criticality).

It’s a bit silly, but tengen toppa gurren lagann is a pretty unique mecha anime (and it’s on netflix atm).

Speaking of netflix, I caught the castle of cagliostro over the weekend and it was really inspiring to see miyazaki’s early ability to already create those whimsical environments that are so fundamental to studio ghibli’s atmospheres.

TTGL is a major favourite of mine and is deeply important to me, but some of the stuff specificially around how it mostly ignores Kamina’s sexism and Leeron’s… whole character (too a point. He stops being the butt of transphobic jokes at a point but it still aint great) makes it hard to recommend wihout caveat 12 years later. I still think the high points are unparalleled in Super Robot action.

fwiw its also on Crunchyroll, I think, though when I rewatched it there I noticed some aspect ratio weirdness (it looked like it was stretched past 4:3?) that might not be present on Netflix.

Crunchyroll get more broken by the day. Now thumbnails are no longer loading and after the latest update to the PS4 app the video is fluctuating wildly between 360p and 1080p. The website is a broken mess in every other way. And it makes me really sad! Their catalogue is so good, even in my country where only like 10% is available. There is literally no other way for me to watch all that stuff legally, but I can’t keep paying for something like this either. Ugh!

Hm, yea, there was an update for the PS4 app the other day and it seems proper busted right now.

The video quality fluctuating is one thing, but a second audio track started up about half way through an episode so all the sound was playing twice? I tried to rewind to try and buffer it out but only the video would rewind and the audio just kept going.

Not great news re: Crunchyroll. I was hoping to watch on my ps4 since the iOS app is also broken (and hasn’t been updated for two months, the app page is covered in complaints) Is there any way to keep the ps4 app from updating?

I’m not sure, but I’m guessing no. If you can pause the update download before it’s done that’s one thing, but I don’t know if you can even open the app when there is an update available.

The thing is with this, it’s probably not gonna be fixed. They don’t seem to care or know what they are doing. Why else would the ios app still not work. The forums are nothing but complaints but there are never any responses from people in charge.

Netflix has put up 3 more dubbed episodes of High Score Girl, just a heads up (This is USA Netflix, not sure about other regions)