The Defenders (and the other Netflix Marvel stuff)

I am only three episodes into JJ 2, but the conclusion I can draw already is people need to answer their goddamn phones.

I really enjoyed season 2 of JJ. I wasn’t sure how or what they would focus on after Kilgrave, but I didn’t leave disappointed.

I think my enjoyment of JJ season 2 was somewhat ruined by how much of a bummer I felt like it ended on. Overall, I still think it was a very good season of tv and a they certainly took it in a different direction than I expected to, but… man, I really didn’t like where a lot of the characters ended up by the final episode.

Also, good GOD, Eka Darville is an unbelievably handsome man.

I don’t know, I kind of like how much of a bummer it was, not everything needs a happy ending, you know? Also, I kinda hate how Malcolm had to cut his hair to become professional Malcolm, that seemed kind of ehhhhhhhhhhh to me.

Malcolm cutting his hair was the biggest tragedy.

I’m late to this party but I just finished Defenders in preparation for JJ season 2. And I think I have a simple rule when it comes to these shows; I’m just incapable of caring about The Hand as a villain in any capacity. I think Kingpin, Killgrave and Cottonmouth were all such compelling characters in their own right and that’s what made DDs1, LC and JJs1 so interesting. Even Punisher was pretty good as an antagonistic force in DDs2 until it took that hard right into K’un-Lun. It just feels so much better when the antagonist feels like they belong in New York instead of just being the ninja mafia. They felt like they belonged there and it felt like they developed along with the protagonist. Even Elektra and The Chaste fall falt for me.

So I’m pretty excited for this season of Jessica Jones. And I was excited to go to the Punisher’s wikipedia page and find 0 results when I ctrl+f’d “hand”.

Can I watch JJ season 2 without having seen The Defenders?

absolutely, virtually no reference has been made to it so far

and speaking of JJ, i have watched 10 episodes of S2 so far and oh my god Trisha I know you’re going through a shitty patch but oh my god i am so mad at you

I am on episode nine of season two and can’t say I have seen/heard anything that has really related to events in Defenders.

Finished the season. I do appreciate that it is aiming for something different and overall I liked the run but the major issue I have is that for me the best episode, easily, is when a certain person reappears. All the other stuff really didn’t hit home as much as that. Which I guess shows the rest of the season didn’t really hit the mark?

I haven’t had a chance to watch it yet, but is Jessica Jones S2 more about her being a private detective?

Not… really. It’s more of an origin story kinda thing? Sort of? It’s… Yeah. Probably best described as that.

Huh, that sounds alright…I guess? I dunno, maybe S3 will be the season that it becomes a procedural style thing.

I am fairly certain they are not going to significantly change the format of this show to turn it into a procedural

Darn. That sucks.

I don’t think this needs a new thread, but it’s not Netflix so I dunno. I watched the first episode of the new season of Shield last night and holy smokes, I thought it was terrific. I have been very up and down on that show but I feel like my perseverance is being rewarded.

Another non-Netflix Marvel TV show but Cloak & Dagger just started (ABC Freeform in the US, ABC Spark in Canada, Amazon Prime in Europe).

From what I’ve read of the comics, it seems like this is very much planning to do its own thing (bit like how MCU GotG isn’t for fans of the comic and doesn’t hugely lean on the source material/cast). The first three episodes are a pretty slow burn establishing who everyone is but it’s a good tone that isn’t zany (Shield) or too grim (Netflix). Probably the worst you could say is it may come off as a bit wanting to be Legion without the art direction or Arrow without the action-focus. I’m interested to see where it goes during the 10 episode season.