The Economy Would Be More Fair With Mario Kart 'Rubber-Banding,' Experts Say

No one likes it when the blue shell, which attacks the person in first, comes for them in Mario Kart. But the presence of the power-up helps keep the game fun and fair for everyone playing. According to environmental researcher Andrew Reid Bell, Mario Kart and its blue shell have a lot to teach us about environmental stewardship.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/epngxp/the-blue-shell-and-its-discontents-2

I also think we should blue shell the rich. Some other games with mechanics that would make the economy more fair:

• Tonight We Riot
  • Wolfenstein (* requires a hatchet)
  • They Came From a Communist Planet
  • A Bewitching Revolution
  • Anarcute
6 Likes

Somehow, Warframe?

Somehow, Warframe with its anti-imperialist, anti-capitalist, pro-ninja agenda can fix the economy?

2 Likes

Ah, yes, Warframe, the mindless horde shooter that casually drops the term “necrocapitalism” into quest text.

1 Like

I do have to say, this whole section of discourse is such a mishmash of metaphors and fields of study that it becomes entirely asinine. Like… the specifics of rubber banding and the nature of the blue shell are completely silly to discuss as if Bell is literally suggesting we put Mario Kart mechanics in the economy? I dunno. The Mario Kart metaphor also falls apart as a rhetorical device, as there are a lot of people who view rubber-banding as a bad mechanic, and as an extension, would view “economic blue shells” as an unfair policy.

5 Likes

what is life already but people receiving economic red shells as they devour the people right in front of them to hopefully get 9th or 10th while letting the people in first coast

1 Like

Wasn’t there a study about this exact phenomenon? How the phenomenon my mom refers to as “keeping up with the Joneses” is, in fact, a real thing among a certain set of upper-middle-class/rich-but-not-quite-plutocrats?