The, Er, Fallout of Fallout 76

It’s understandable to not fix it cause of opportunity cost, but over like 2000 hours, I know I have a problem, I’ve never had a playthrough that this didn’t happen.

The mechanists lair has a few game ending bugs. Unfortunately for the one you’ve encountered is not fixable as far as I’m aware.

Nothing tops the first Fallout 3 DLC where they released it with the Gamebryo’s orange exclamation point placeholder for “YOU FORGOT TO PUT A TEXTURE HERE” covering like half the area.

“Let’s all go out for brunch and a nuclear catastrophe!”

500_F_115211252_02F8z5TkUCpEWqA2rWGIU05w4c9pCqz3

What I love about 76 is they had to create a multiplayer game to give me the sense of isolation I really wanted in a Fallout game. For the most part, I’ve actually enjoyed it quite a bit. While I wouldn’t mind some living NPCs, mostly my fascination has always been with exploring the tragedy of lost worlds.

I don’t have a deep issue with the story-telling tactics, though the stories so far aren’t quite giving me what I want. I prefer stories like Vault 11 in New Vegas, Vault 112 in Fallout 3, and the underlying story of Horizon Zero Dawn. I could happily wander aimlessly in a pretty, post-apocalyptic wasteland uncovering twisted tragedies for quite some time to come.

But over the years I’ve had a bizarre shift in expectations. Back in the 8bit/ 16bit era, I was accustomed to games which lacked story or plot, and was happy to fill in my own. It wasn’t until Phantasy Star IV I started wanting more narrative. But playing through countless games with heavily scripted story arcs, I didn’t mind a return to stories with less movie-like narrative. There is a shallowness to Fallout 76 which disappoints me, and yet, I find my imagination filling in the void in many cases quite comfortably.

I do have a lot of gripes with Fallout 76, but all told, it’s still highly playable for me. I’ve read through the looooooooong list of complaints others have, some of which I agree with more than others. Even some of the complaints I sympathize with are strangely adding to the experience for me. The cost of atoms pretty much assures I won’t buy them. So I keep earning them through the daily challenges, slowly saving them up. I’m really picky about what I want to use them for, which has pulled me back away from an unsustainable ‘BUY ALL THE THINGS!’ mindset and restored me to a ‘save for what I want, then enjoy it’ mindset. I bought some floors and some plants. They are pretty nice floors and plants, imo.

This game, stacked up against other titles of this generation? Sure, I understand why people see it as shit. I see why people are worried about overall trends in how games are monetized, especially when applied to a beloved franchise such as this. I understand a lot of the reasons people are truly worried, and they may even feel my support for this game is support for the degradation of game design.

And yet, all the same, I’m into it. On balance, it works for me more than it doesn’t. Then again, my perfect game would probably be a commercial failure. No accounting for taste.

Hi, I’m late to the party, but I got Fallout 76 and I actually kind of love it? I got it after watching Noah Caldwell Gervais’ video on the game, where he says it’s less a fallout game and more the fallout theme park, where nothing is permanent but there’s always another ride to ride.

After playing way too much of the game in 3 days…I cant stop thinking about it. For better and worse. 76 highlights that most Bethesda games are fundamentally about accumulating material power. 76 is nothing but that loop of getting stuff and fiddling with that stuff, but its the best fiddling they’ve ever done. But that endless content vacuuming makes me uncomfortable, despite me loving these games. And I do genuinely enjoy 76 so far. I just …dont know how I’m going to feel about Bethesda games after I burn out on this though.

I’m pretty sure all the FPS fallouts had a crash test NPC for weapons. Though the fact it is accessible without console commands is interesting.

This game mode, Survival, will be accessible from the main menu. Upon launching Fallout 76 , players will have the opportunity to choose between the existing experience, now known as Adventure, or the new Survival mode, which has “the same quests, events, and story that you’re used to in Adventure mode.” Existing characters can be brought into Survival, where they will share their inventory and status across both game modes.

Survival is a mode where every other player, except those in your team or helping in an event zone, are marked as hostile. The existing PvP system, which requires both parties to opt-in, does not exist in Survival; instead, players are able to attack each other on sight. Survival will include level scaling, so newer characters will, in theory, have a fighting chance against high-level enemies.

So I guess Fallout 76 is Rust now.

sigh

At least this song is still pure and good:

I think sixteen tons would be more apt?

I love them both.

Well, I’m pretty sure this version of Take Me Home was made specifically for 76, whereas Tennessee Ernie Ford’s version of 16 tons is from the 60’s.

I think it’s 1955 ish? Though its lyrics suit how 76 ended up, especially with the closed nature of the games economy acting like company stores.

Going further in the survival sim direction is probably the better decision in the long run.

I wish it made any sense why the vault dwellers would be in conflict. Does it, somehow? Like narratively?

As far as I’m aware at the current stage there’s no narrative reason other than maybe human nature? It’s probably like a wild wasteland sort of thing, not canon but part of the experience.

Hot take: That seems bad!

I honestly thought the Rust-like stuff was in the game since launch. What have ya’ll been doing for the past couple months?

Yeah, I mean you could have put some indoctrination in there, explaining it simply without much effort. Ultimately the world crafting isn’t there.