The Forza Horizon 4 Thread: Please Drive on the Left!

My roommate seeing the 17th anime decal I’ve slapped on a class Japanese street racing car that he loves, “Why do you hate cars?”

It’s winter!

Oh neat!

Has anyone found the big ice patches that the E3 demo talked about changing the landscape?

During the qualifier, it seemed like all the water areas were still water.

The big lake in the lake district should be frozen over, and there’s a little island in the middle you can only go in winter. Wonder what they could be hiding on there. :wink:

Come to the big frozen lake if you want an ass kicking

Why am I at work instead of playing this game today?

Winter, baybee!

(I wish there was a way to isolate colours in Forza’s photomode. I really want to make the reds and oranges of tail lights pop against the blue/white snow this season and boosting saturation for the whole image doesn’t cut it)

That’s one of the things HDR games need to do: export an HDR (RAW) so we can poke at them like other photos. Some games which integrated Ansel export OpenEXR format files but it should be in more places to actually show off what HDR offers on top of the 8-bit SDR traditional pipeline.

The photo mode in general feels a bit limited (with the Share downscaling to 1080p meaning I don’t even use that as the best capture); at least on PC it seems to add very little on top of the actual in-game 16ms render. They could definitely swap out the LoD lower detail model stuff nearer the camera with the highest fidelity assets and boost the resolution of things like the reflection buffers to really make pictures pop. Rather than just doing next to nothing beyond some DoF/motion blur integration (while still keeping eg the dithered transparency!) and a bit of anti-aliasing while slowly fading in from a black frame for ages and then forcing a watermark in (yay, it’s like an instant photo for reasons???).

Hey hey, it’s time for winter times

Got my ass kicked at the frozen lake today lads

Gotta love it when you’re doing a cross county event with a jump so high it wrecks your car, but it doesn’t affect the NPCs so you literally can’t win, forcing you to restart and turn damage to cosmetic. :smiley: Classic fair racing scenario. :smile: Haha, heehee!

Nice view though.

Why I always keep damage cosmetic…it may not be realistic, but it sure as hell is a lot of fun!

While the difficulty sliders only apply to your drive, I have to recommend Cosmetic only - it’s just not a fun game with Sim damage on because ye, no one else has it enabled so it’s just a unique disadvantage to you and some of the game has clearly not been made to work well with it on (eg major jumps that will leave you losing acceleration later in the race and so unable to compete).

Also, having those settings persist as you drive in the open world between events is just… has anyone ever said “Oh boy, I get to take longer to get to the next event because I banged up my car on the way”?

I’ve also set damage to Cosmetic Only, after playing FH3 entirely on Sim. There’s just been too many times in a big race where you absolutely must make a huge jump and then when you land, you’re out of luck. It doesn’t bother me to turn it down, really.

In other news: winter is very good.

So my way around taking photos with the watermarks (on PC) is to take a screenshot by pressing win+Printscreen, or pressing home on the Xbox controller and selecting the screenshot option. In the Xbox app you should be able to find the capture directory and if you took pictures in HDR there will be two files, one jpg, on jxr (which I think has the HDR data?)

And I just checked, the screenshots are in 4k!

So I need to look into it more, but at least on PC I think there are means to edit HDR screenshots you take of the game. At the very least this is a way to get screenshots you can edit further in Photoshop or paint or whatever!

This video settings being reset thing was a problem in FH3 on PC as well. Sad to see it still hasn’t been fixed.

Never found a solution to this in FH3, and I haven’t found any solutions for FH4 either.
It’s a bummer, but I’m also not going to stop playing on PC because of it.

On another note, never was I more disappointed about Toyota pulling out of Forza than when I realized I wouldn’t be able to drive a Trueno and play really bad eurotrash while doing a wild drift.

This was literally 90% of my time with FH 3 and I’ve basically compensated with an RX-7 modelled after Kyoko’s:

Sadly Horizon 4 doesn’t seem to have the Groove Music Custom Soundtrack support 3 did so I’m sorely missing this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RN7A61oDUYc

Ah, I’d not checked the Xbox capture (I just used the nVidia Share stuff to Alt-F1 grab the entire screen for native res captures but only does SDR without the Ansel special hooks in the game - sometimes I’m just capturing video so can scrub through the footage to grab a few in-progress shots).

Good to hear they’re doing HDR grabs - Jpeg XR is a MS tech so I guess that’s why they’re doing that over OpenEXR (an ILM open format). I might have to do some poking to try and work out how to import that into my preferred image processing workflow (old Adobe Lightroom). The issue with editing SDR shots after the fact is they’re quantised to 8-bits (along that classic gamma curve) so any additional processing leads to banding/information loss (which is a huge shame when the game is internally processing an HDR image with >8-bit info and often working with a linear space before the tone-mapping to the screen).

Edit: Hmm, and the MS Photoshop plugin is just that (so no support for Lightroom from a similar era). *Me opening a JXR in Microsoft Windows 10 Photos and trying to edit it*: How can you hate this image this much? (this is clearly not handling the 16-bit HDR info correctly)

One weird thing: the Xbox capture grabs 4K screenshots for me. That’s kinda expected as I’ve got a 4K screen but internally the game is rendered at 3200x1800 (because my 1070 isn’t quite up to 4K60). The nVidia Share captures 1800p native shots, not the 4K upscaled output. Presumably they hook into different buffers to extract the screenshots.

The Winter Porsche is back spinning sweet broadies in the untouched pow-pow.

I would make this an animated gif but I suspect it’s actually less bandwidth to just embed a video.