So hey you may want to nuke every single youtube video you have ever made right now and I am dead serious, the FTC could actually fine you $42,000 for the most arbitrary reasons imaginable.
The passing of COPPA, the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act, passed and what this means is that they’re about to start policing all online videos to see if they’re child friendly.
Here’s the kicker that currently has me on the verge of a panic attack: The FTC gets the last word on what is targeted at children. Even if you mark your entire channel as not for kids, all it takes is seeing one anime or video game character in a thumbnail and you’re doomed. Here are the actual, horrific, so loose they apply to basically everything guidelines:
- Subject matter of the video (e.g. educational content for preschoolers).
- Whether children are your intended or actual audience for the video.
- Whether the video includes child actors or models.
- Whether the video includes characters, celebrities, or toys that appeal to children, including animated characters or cartoon figures.
- Whether the language of the video is intended for children to understand.
- Whether the video includes activities that appeal to children, such as play-acting, simple songs or games, or early education.
- Whether the video includes songs, stories, or poems for children.
- Any other information you may have to help determine your video’s audience, like empirical evidence of the video’s audience.
That bolded bit right there is HORRIFYING. I’m deleting every video I have ever posted in the coming week because I am not dealing with this horse shit. I refuse to have my life ruined because I did an LP of a Bleach game.