The GILM Awards 2017 Favorite Characters

Oof, there’s a lot of good characters this year, I find it hard to settle on any of them.
After some thought I’ll cast my vote for Pascal from Nier: Automata.

Pascal is a beam of light in the dismal conflict driven world of Nier:A, he’s a kind leader of a sanctuary of robots disconnected from the network, a pacifist, and just a really lovable character.
He’s probably the most unique and emotionally resonant character in the game and he’s got an interesting and tragic arc that I really appreciated. (spoilers below)

While arguably idealist to a fault, he’ll shepherd his flock away from conflict, choosing not to interact with the horrors of this world at large. Eventually his sanctuary is found by the virus infected machines, and with no way of defending themselves they flee to the oil plant.
Pascal has to tear himself away from his pacifistic values to defend his children from hordes of invading machines (by using a giant goliath mech, btw). Turns out before this went down, Pascal had been teaching his robot children about emotions from philosophy books, as a sort of passing of knowledge in case he passed on too, I suppose, and finds them having committed suicide in their despair.
Pascal is heartbroken, unable to contend with his deep loss he asks you to erase his memories.
It’s a tragic arc, one I found deeply affecting, and
few video games this year have left me in more of an emotional mess.

Honourable mentions:
Aloy - Horizon: Zero Dawn
Wyatt - Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus
Sigrund - Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus
Goro Majima - Yakuza 0
Kass - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Pig - Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus

1 Like

Assassin’s Creed Origins:

Okay, specifically I’m referring to Aya and Bayek. Not only are the performances from their respective voice actors excellent, but their relationship is one of the more believable I’ve seen in games in recent memories. They are deeply in love, yet completely retain that which makes them individuals. Bayek often speaks during missions of how much he wishes Aya were with him, and often even says this to her. However, many times it is pushed onto him that it cannot be. Also, Aya is equally, if not more badass than Bayek, and the fact that I get to play her is even more incredible. Anyone else feel this way who played this game? I thought this game’s gameplay was alright, but what kept me going was how enjoyable it was to be Bayek.

2 Likes

Pascal from Nier Automata

I was worried every time they showed up in a battle scene because I was worried I wouldn’t be able to protect them.

I’m assuming Fire Emblem: Echoes: Shadows of Valentia ineligible, but, shoutout to my beautiful sad gay archer anyway.
I love him.
The rest of the characters are fine.

EDIT: Alright nice it counts, fab! (Thank you)
In that case let’s try and make at least some actual case for it, hey.

So, Leon, is the crux of my feelings of the cast of this game. Beautiful, tragic, Leon, and his big hopeless crush on his straight friend. We’ve all been there, buddy, it sucks. He has a little tragic backstory with the guy he joined the army with. Ah, Leon.
I kind of love everyone’s little support conversations and backstories. Mathilda worrying if it’s “unlady-like” that she’s stronger than Clive (and Clive telling her that’s nonsense and tbh he’s super into it), Conrad being cool and mysterious with his mask on and just kind of a big dork with it off, Genny being really intimidated by Sonya. Python ‘trying is for nerds’ and his exhaustion at the very idea of being responsible for anything. Berkut unravelling as it becomes apparent he won’t get to be emperor. I like getting see Alm with his friends as kids (often games will tell you ‘they’re childhood friends’ - it’s nice to see that, makes it feel more ‘real’).

I guess I’m used to fire emblem support conversations that are super generic on account of anyone being able to support up, so having (much!) fewer but far more distinct relationships was super nice.

Fire Emblem Echoes Shadows of Valentia!
Maybe I’ll finish it some day.

3 Likes

Actually! Fire Emblem: Echoes: Shadows of Valentia is eligible! It’s a remake that add enough new things that it could be considered a new game. So if you wanted to nominate it , it would be eligible.

1 Like

Wolfenstein 2: the new collossus
Super Spesh might be the best character ever created.

1 Like

Second Golf Story each character was unique and interesting. I loved all the interactions with the main character’s pervious partner.

awesome! I’ve edited my post to expound upon my reasoning, then :slight_smile:

1 Like

Most of my favorites have been nominated already, so I’ll second Assassin’s Creed Origins!

I’m not even very far in the story and I already love Bayek. I haven’t seen too much of Aya yet, but what I’ve seen is fantastic. Their relationship is well characterized and they have very strong motivations as characters. And I just like the way Bayek interacts with other people. That side quest of him getting drunk with an old ‘friend’ and fighting him, the way he plays with kids, just his genuinely helpful nature. Its made even better by his tragic background, which helps inform the way he sees the world without entirely defining it. He’s just such a good and believable character. And I can’t wait to see more of Aya and her motivations and politics, especially after reading Cameron’s recent article on Waypoint about it.

1 Like

I am seconding Butterfly Soup. I became very invested in those kids very quickly. I wanted them to work out their hang ups and be happy and free. The writing is great so that you really understand where each of the main characters are coming from.

Also Akarsha made me laugh a ton.

3 Likes

So, the games I would have most likely nominated are already so its time for me think outside the box or tetromino.

This smorgasbord of ridiculous characters that will break you with puns

Or have an entire cutscene where the two characters who have pokemon level vernacular speaking to each other in the singular word they know.
Its Puyo Puyo Tetris!

3 Likes

Hey, Waypointeers! There’s only seven more days left on nominations! The mod team are gearing up for Phase 2 of The GILM Awards, so we can let y’all decide what the Waypoint Community felt were their favourite works of 2017. We know a few people are wrestling about their nominations, so this is just a reminder to get yours in before the deadline hits — we’re not taking late submissions!

On that note, there’s a few items that have only been nominated once so far. If you feel strongly about any of these making it to our final poll, they need a second nomination before Phase 1 closes.

• Puyo Puyo Tetris
  • Fire Emblem: Echoes: Shadows of Valentia
  • Metroid: Samus Returns
  • Tales of Beseria

Glad to see Night in the Woods, Pyre, and Wolfenstein II all made it.

Gonna second Horizon Zero Dawn solely for Aloy because she’s great. Also Nil is eerily compelling to me!

and i guess holo lt daniels is good at being holo lt daniels

closed #55