The GILM Awards 2017 Favorite Movie

Since I don’t see it mentioned yet I’d like to throw in Gaurdians of the Galaxy 2. The most fun I had at the movies this year.

Though I loved The Red Turtle and Your Name.

Get Out had me screaming at the screen in the theater, easily one of the best and most important horror/thrillers I’ve ever seen.

I also saw Blade Runner, which has its issues, but was still a really cool thing to see and I enjoyed it. I don’t really recall any other movies that I saw this year that came out this year… :sweat:

Moonlight is a modern masterpiece - a movie that is filled with profound genius, emotional rawness, and character depth. It hit me so hard, and I won’t forget it. First best picture choice in a very long time to deserve that accolade.

Blade Runner 2049 was good stuff- a visual and stylistic feat that actually managed to live up to one of the best movies ever made, and in some aspects surpassed it.

Yes! If it came out in 2017 there then it’s all good. :slight_smile:

Okja. It’s been a while since a movie made me this emotional. It is up on Netflix so there is no excuse for those of you with a subscription not to watch it. Jake Gyllenhaal’s performance was particularly memorable.

I will second Okja. It is a truly moving film with an excellent cast and superb performances all around.

My nomination is Hey Arnold: The Jungle Movie for having the sheer audacity to be the conclusion to a cartoon that ended 15 years ago.

My favorite movies this year are probably: Blade Runner 2049, Your Name and Dunkirk but since those already got nominated let me add on

The Big Sick is my pick.
This was a great movie to watch with my parents this Thanksgiving. It has so much going on from all sides. Kumail has to figure out what is important in his life his Muslim family, his dieing on and off girlfriend and the decisions about his career. A part that is pure magic to this movie are Emily’s parents played fantastically by Ray Romano and Holly Hunter respectively. The relationship they form with Kumail feels authentic (yes, I know its based off a true story) even though it starts in the most awkward way of people meeting each other.

So many great films that haven’t been nominated yet! Logan , Spider-Man Homecoming , Wonder Woman , Professor Martson and the Wonder Women , Thor: Ragnarok , John Wick Chapter 2!

But my nomination goes toward Lego Batman

Not only did i like it more than The Lego Movie , but i might be my favorite Batman film?
Not only is it a really good exploration of Batman’s legacy and character it’s also just super fun?

It’s so refreshing to see a non grim-dark or “realistic” take on Batman (that also takes potshots at those incarnations)

Oh wait, Lego Batman came out this year? Seconded!

Hey, Waypointeers! There’s only seven more days left on nominations! The mod team are gearing up for Phase 2 of The GILM Awards, so we can let y’all decide what the Waypoint Community felt were their favourite works of 2017. We know a few people are wrestling about their nominations, so this is just a reminder to get yours in before the deadline hits — we’re not taking late submissions!

On that note, there’s a few items that have only been nominated once so far. If you feel strongly about any of these making it to our final poll, they need a second nomination before Phase 1 closes.

• Hey Arnold The Jungle Movie
  • Call Me By Your Name
  • Mother!
  • Brigsby Bear
  • On Body and Soul
  • The Fate of the Furious
  • The Red Turtle
  • The Shape of the Water
  • Thor: Ragnarok
  • Baby Driver

Your Name is a really special and beautiful film that absolutely deserves a spot on the list.

I’ll second Your Name. The animation is absolutely stunning and the story is one hell of an emotional roller coaster.

Edit: Oops, Your Name already has two nominations. Withdrawing my current nomination as I figure out what else to nominate.

Your Name was already seconded by Cian if you want to choose another nomination

Oops, I thought it was the first nomination, missed it was the second. Thanks for the heads up!

I’m gonna second Call Me By Your Name cos it absolutely knocked me for six when I saw it. Beautifully shot, wonderful soundtrack, Armie Hammer’s thighs are very large, and it’s also one of the most emotionally real but also generous love stories I’ve seen on the cinema screen. Also Sufjan made me cry, but that’s nothing new.

Second for Get Out.

Is Lady Bird able to be nominated? Because that’s my nomination if so. Filled with feelings and reminded me of a specific time in my life.

The Founder had a limited release at the end of 2016 but came out on a wider scale at the beginning of 2017, so I’m nominating it. One of the best films I’ve seen at painting a protagonist in an ambiguous light

yeah it counts! it’ll need another nomination from someone else to move on to the voting phase.