The GILM Awards 2017 Favorite Movie

Second for Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

I’ll second A Ghost Story, maybe the most profoundly, existentially moving experience I had at the cinema this year. It packs so much meaning and thoughtfulness, about death, grief, memory of love transcending time, collapsing time into itself, how memories attach themselves to place, into a 90 minute movie about a ghost under a bedsheet, and does so in such a poetic, impressionistic, constantly visually ingenious manner.

(if someone could second Good Time as well too that’d be raaaaad, had a hard time picking which to cast my vote for)

I’ll put one out for Logan. I don’t think it’s been nom’d yet.

It’s like a good superhero Western (eat your heart out Jonah Hex) and it quickly establishes that this universe that we’re kinda familiar with has stakes. Also, I thought I was pretty numb to superhero violence but wow, this was something. It’s entirely possible I missed some of this film, watching it through fingers.

But yeah, Logan. My biggest argument against Disney buying the Marvel properties from Fox.

The GILM Awards 2017 Favorite Anime

Honestly I’m going to have to nominate Logan for this.

My first introduction to superheroes was my stepdad pulling out a VHS tape of the first X-Men film in probably 2000 or 2001 and putting it in for us to watch. Ever since, the X-Men film franchise has been my absolute favorite. I still hold that X2 is one of the best comic super movie adaptations of all time, if I’m being honest.

Yeah, sure, I fell off the series at some point. I still need to catch up and watch Apocalypse. But as a kid, and later a teen, I adored those first three movies. I cant describe to you in words how much I loved seeing the old cast at the end of Days of Future Past.

So this year, I heard how good everyone said Logan was and decided to try it out, despite thinking that Logan wasn’t one of my favorite characters (I was wrong, as it turned out) and thinking I’d need to have seen Apcalypse first (also wrong).

It’s a wonderful, wonderful movie. Jackman and Stewart bring their roles to life in a totally new way, one that is tired and aching and old. Watching this movie makes you feel like it’s been 25 years since things were bright and happy. Since Bobby’s mom asked, “Have you tried not being a mutant?”

It’s a beautiful ending to the franchise, if I’m being honest, even though it isn’t over. For me, it’s the final farewell to Wolverine, a character I thought I was too cool to care about. And have I mentioned X-23? She’s amazing, just amazing. The things she can convey without speaking are tremendous. She doesn’t feel tethered to Logan, despite her origin. She’s absolutely her own being.

I absolutely love X2, and always will, but if there is any movie im comfortable promoting to that number one spot in its place, it’d be Logan.

None of y’all have seen it yet cause it doesn’t actually come out til the end of this week, but I went to a press screening of The Shape of Water last night and it’s just fantastic. I’ve only seen a handful of del Toro movies, but it is far and away my favorite of them. I don’t expect it to do very well because it’s “that movie where the lady fucks a fish,” but judging by the crowd reaction, I think the people that DO see it will love it. It’s successful at everything it does, there’s not a single weak link in it.

I’m so excited for it! I think it’s going to be my movie of 2017 so I’ve held back my nom. After seeing that trailer, I don’t think I can see how any human being would NOT want to see this movie, but I’m probably biased because it’s doing everything I like. Including making monsters hot.

Oh crap! Crap, crap, A metric Nathan Drake of “craps” I need to make sure Lady Bird gets to round two! Seconded!

Listen, I was born in the early 90’s in Sacramento, California and lived right in those Fabulous 40s of East Sac the main character pines over. My relatives have their own iconic interesting but mildly troubling relationship with Reagan. This movie has all the right sentimentality for me. I only lived there for a year before my family moved away and we’ve only been back sparingly but even then I could connect on a deep level with the landmarks and nuances of this film.

I have to nominate/second (third?) Your Name. I saw it two days ago (it got a theatrical release here this year) and I haven’t been able to put it out of my mind. I have basically never been this strongly affected by a film, as anyone who follows my twitter is probably tired of hearing about it already. It’s such an incredibly beautiful, poignant story about two soulmates separated by time and space, and about a feeling of disconnection with the life you lead, that persistent, melancholy feeling that there’s something missing… yeah, I feel it. Deeply. The music and visuals are amazingly interwoven, the story gripped me like nothing else I’ve ever seen, and the ending was the most cathartic moment I’ve ever experienced in cinema.

Your Name was the first movie I watched all the way to the end of the credits not because I was waiting for an extra scene ala marvel movies, but because I needed that time to just sit there, eyes shut, softly crying the entire time.

Doesn’t look like Good Time is gonna get any more love. I’ll switch my nom to second The Big Sick.

Blade Runner 2049

I would have absolutely done that too but there were people right next to me despite the theater being like 80% empty. Instead I cried a bunch in the car on the way home. I’ve never had a movie do that to me before, ever. It was amazing.

I’ll throw in a last-minute nomination for Spiderman: Homecoming. Tom Holland is great, able to display awkwardness, charm and emotion without coming off as a smarmy ass with the emotional acting equivalent of Hayden Christiansen (god, Tobey Maguire sucks).

Add to that a bunch of good supporting characters top to bottom, and a villain with motivation beyond “What are we going to do tomorrow night, Loki?” “The same thing we do every night, every Other Villain,” and you have probably the best balanced, most well-rounded Marvel movie. I don’t know if it deserves to win, but I think it’s worth putting in the conversation.

Nomination: Thor: Ragnarok

My last minute pitch. This movie may have been the most fun I’ve had at the theaters this year, and it was a stacked year. I enjoyed the hell out Get Out, Baby Driver, Blade Runner 2049, and Logan, but this one felt the most charming and just downright hilarious.

It definitely builds on the cosmic humor of Guardians of the Galaxy, but I felt like it was able to surpass it with great pacing, and fantastic comedic timing. It’s still a superhero movie, but one that’s more playful then brooding.

Last year, the director won my heart with Hunt for the Wilderpeople, which I obviously highly recommend. I never dreamed that same director would be able to turn out a superhero film with the same amount of heart and comedic pacing.

Baby Driver is going to get snuffed this award’s season after Kevin Spacey’s precipitous fall, but director Edgar Wright and the rest of the cast deserve better. This is one of the funnest movies I’ve seen, and it was great to see Edgar Wright comfortable in Hollywood again after his cult classic Scott Pilgrim underperformed.

Oh shit, I forgot I did see a movie this year! Spiderman homecoming will be seconded by me! I watched this nerdy film in Ireland while I was visiting my Grandma. I really needed something nerdy and sweet to keep me sane, and this did the job!

Alright, since we’re in the final hours, I’ll switch my nomination to Baby Driver. Thoroughly enjoyed my time with it. Edgar Wright’s direction was fantastic. The Kevin Spacey stuff sucks.

This topic was automatically closed after 4 days. New replies are no longer allowed.