The Gilm Awards 2017 Favorite Music (Song)

Favorite Music (Song)

The end of the year is approaching and you know what that means - it’s time to talk about your favorite music from 2017! Did you drive your housemates sick by the four hundred and ninety-second repetition of that one single? Time to spread the good cheer of excellent music!

To be eligible the song needs to have been released in 2017.

With that out of the way it’s off to the races! Plug in your headphones, start the 50 second intro track, bold your nominations, and we’ll see you in the outro!

Q&A

Q: Uhhh, sorry to ask, but... what are the GILM Awards?

A: Nothing to apologise for! Just head over to our pinned topic if you need a catch up! You can also find details on the process for the awards here.

Q: How do I nominate something?

A: To nominate something, you have to write it in your post and bold it, ideally at the top of your post. If we don’t know what you’re picking, we can’t count it. You get one (1) nomination. For a game to be eligible for the voting phase, it must have two nominations.

Nomination: X)
(Rest of Post, full of lists and good takes)

You can make a list as long as your arm, just be clear. We welcome thoughtful posts about how you made your decision and discussion, as long as we keep it positive and respectful.

Q: I disagree with someone else's choice!

A: As per our Code of Conduct, be considerate about other people’s perspectives. There’s no need to puff out someone else’s candle to make yours a little brighter. Negativity is only going to hurt your case for what you love. What’s said in the thread stays in the thread. The mod team frown deeply on people taking disagreements thread-to-thread, like bringing up a user’s nomination in a previous category in a case against the present one.

Q: Someone already nominated what I wanted to, what do I do?

A: We still want to hear your thoughts! Be mindful of what has already been nominated, but as always, this topic is a conversation, so feel free to share your thoughts on what has been nominated.

Q: When does the nomination process end?

A: The period of time to make your nominations will end 12/10/2017.

The GILM Awards 2017 Favorite Music (Album)

“Did you drive your housemates sick by the four hundred and ninety-second repetition of that one single?”

Oh, that? Yeah, I should nominate that, huh? I’ve looped this track so many times by now… I was super bummed that it’s just a single and that it sounds NOTHING like the other tracks this singer has been credited with, but alas, I suppose that rarity makes it all the more special to me.

Kyoumen no Nami - YURiKA

Special shoutout to the Made in Abyss OST, which easily makes my “most listened to album of 2017” list. Apologies to the Waypoint community for being so much more into soundtracks than other releases that my vote will be mostly worthless in this category D:

Hey, I don’t think this is worthless! I really dig the OST of this anime as well. Eerie, soulful, relaxing, also never heard the full track outside the OP. Grateful to any anyone repping anime here especially Houseki no Kuni!

ONE III NOTES - Shadow and Truth

Everyone has different reasons for their favourite songs, and i think if the circumstances were dfifferent i would have put a different song here, but a song i needed this year is something to jam to. And that was a song from opening to anime ACCA: 13-Territory Inspection Dept.

Happy Birthday, Johnny - St. Vincent

MASSEDUCTION is great as a whole album, but I literally cannot listen to this song without getting choked up. It helps to go into the song knowing that St. Vincent (Annie Clark) as an artist is a highly private individual.

[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFRzA6S3Y0E]

(sorry I don’t know how to embed)

I think a strong argument could be made for If We Were Vampires as my song of the year.

Paramore - Fake Happy
It’s not the most subtle song in the world but it’s one that anyone with even the mildest anxiety or depression issues will probably relate to. I loved this whole album but this song in particular stands out imo.

Nomination: Tee Time by Vulfpeck

Mr. Finish Line is an alright album, but this song, this song is incredible and is probably the best song Vulfpeck has ever written.

Normal Girl by SZA. Easily the peak of this album for me. I could go on and on about how much of an evolution this is over her previous work and how she flexes her vocals on this track so wonderfully. And good lord the guitar on this still gives me chills, if I don’t play this song once a day just assume I’m dead

Oh this is difficult…I guess

I WANNA CUT TO THE FEELING!

Shelved by The Mountain Goats is my nomination. I really should of listened to more music this year but this is definitely my fav song off of Goths.

The forward momentum of this song makes me feel like i’m on a train chugging down the tracks? It’s a really rad.

its gotta be cut to the feeling

Cut To The Feeling is weird in that it was part of a 2016 film’s score but didn’t get released as a single until 2017. It was my and many others Summer Jam this year though so it should probably stick.

(Before I remembered Cut To The Feeling, I was going to give it to give it Big Shaq’s Mans Not Hot- so honorable shout out to that.)

I nominated this in the other thread but since we’ve moved over here:

Pieces/Ruins by P.O.S. is fantastic and probably the track I’ve listened to the most.

Fear - Kendrick Lamar

Yea, yea, I know it’s such a mainstream choice, but Kendrick Lamar continues to defy expectations and fall in and out of personals and personalities until you hit some songs where it’s clear he’s just talking about himself in the rawest and most honest way he can: though music.

Luis Fonsi - Despacito ft. Daddy Yankee

Love to dance to this song :smiley:

I’ll nominate Dance! by Macross 82-99. It’s fun, catchy, soothing - Perfect 2017 tune that fits on almost any playlist

I definitely feel ya. I don’t know which track I’d pick as my favorite from this album (though at the moment I think I’d lean towards FEEL. or XXX.), so I may just nominate the entire album in the other thread.