The GILM Awards 2017 Favorite Small Developer Game

Seconding Cuphead.

I worried about playing this game at first because I thought I would find it too frustrating. Instead, I found the bosses to be just the right length and that the game is very good at showing you how you improve with each attempt. As such, I could feel myself improve, and each boss felt entirely doable. I was hooked.

I also appreciate when games really commit to an aesthetic, which Cuphead certainly did.

I’m going to nominate The Signal From Tölva, just for some more variety.

I really loved this game’s aesthetic, and though most of its writing is presented in collectibles, it’s really great too. The weapons and shooting mechanics are pretty simple, but I found them fun. It’s my second favorite game about robots this year.

Hey, Waypointeers! There’s only seven more days left on nominations! The mod team are gearing up for Phase 2 of The GILM Awards, so we can let y’all decide what the Waypoint Community felt were their favourite works of 2017. We know a few people are wrestling about their nominations, so this is just a reminder to get yours in before the deadline hits — we’re not taking late submissions!

On that note, there’s a few items that have only been nominated once so far. If you feel strongly about any of these making it to our final poll, they need a second nomination before Phase 1 closes.

• Thimbleweed Park
  • Necrosphere
  • A Normal Lost Phone
  • Hand of Fate 2
  • The Surge
  • Detention
  • The Signal From Tolva
  • Friday the 13th
  • Disc Jam
  • Reigns: Her Majesty

Night in the Woods
My GOTY so far.

I’m seconding Freeways. This game is pretty great. And though it was actually this post that got me to try it in the first place, I’ve been unsuspecting fan of the developer for ages.

The game was developed by Justin Smith of Enviro-Bear 2010 and Desert Golfing fame, which are both pretty great. The later has been a constant go-to chillout game on my phone for quite a while now. I just had not tracked what other games the dev had been working on.

Anyway, Freeways is great, and people should check it out. Easy to hop into, and the type of puzzle game I can really get into. The other ones mentioned by Tolinky are ones that I’ve try again and again to get into. I love using logic to solve things, but none of them keep me hooked for long, and I think that’s because they don’t allow for enjoyable trial-and-error. Freeways has you covered.

While I haven’t played it, LPs of Friday The 13th have been interesting to watch, so thats my choice

Nomination: Disc Jam

So I feel like this may not get nominated because I feel like a lot of people probably didn’t play it, but I’ll use my nomination for Disc Jam, and hope that it gets more love. I had such a blast playing this game when it came out earlier this year, and I still enjoy going back to it time and again.

For those who don’t know, Disc Jam is a competitive multiplayer game that’s kind of like a mashup of Tennis and Air Hockey, but played with a frisbee disc. I feel like most people have at least a little bit of knowledge about at least one of those things, so learning the basic setup isn’t too difficult. What caught me off guard was just how frantic and exciting matches could be, in part because of intentional design choices (like how the speed of the disc increasing with each successive perfect throw, or how number of points a goal(?) is worth is incremented every time the disc is caught and thrown back), but also just because of crazy moments that emerge through regular play, costing you only a few points or helping you win the entire match.

All that said, there isn’t much in the way of extra content (there’s offline and online 1v1 and 2v2 multiplayer), but that’s understandable given the very small development team (2 people); plus, the fact that the actual gameplay is where the game shines. If you’re looking for a fun, frantic, pick-up-and-play competitive games this side of Nidhogg, I say give it a shot!

I will second Subsurface Circular.

There are many games already nominated that I liked as much if not more than Subsurface Circular, but the latter manages to do something that I especially appreciate this year: it was brief. I mean that sincerely as praise for the game, as I’ve played a lot of games this year that have dragged on too long or I simply lost steam with before the end. Subsurface Circular doesn’t overstay its welcome and manages to tell a good story without a lot of bells & whistles. It was well written, had a nice look to it, and above all else wasn’t a game I struggled to finish this year.

Nominating The Norwood Suite. The goofball jazz of Norwood Suite just grabbed me and never let me go. I haven’t been so entranced by a singular space in a game since Gone Home.

Gonna second The Norwood Suite. A wonderfully weird game.

Since it looks like Pyre and Freeways (!!!) have been seconded, I’d like to be able to second Subsurface Circular, but what I actually have to do is nominate Reigns: Her Majesty

Reigns struck on a really interesting mechanical formula, and Her Majesty takes it right where it needed to go. It’s one of very few feminist representations in video games. You being asked to deal with the pressure of social expectations of gender performance and structural relegation to the secondary position despite greater merit, which is kinda par for the course in showing “here’s how we treat people shitty” in video games. But besides the empowerment of saying (or picking your moment to say) “No”, you also get to make decisions expressing your particular feminist values. Should your forest friend cult singularly value a woman’s intelligence, or is it okay for women to celebrate the energy they put into their appearance too?

plus u can b romantic wit ur galpals
its very good

I will definitely check out Reigns: Her Majesty. Dug the first game, but stalled out after awhile when the unlocks slowed. The mechanics were well done though.

As an aside, i love this thread for all these suggestions of games I did not have on my radar!

This topic was automatically closed after 4 days. New replies are no longer allowed.