The GILM Awards 2017 Favorite TV Show

So is there going to be a non-anime animated tv show list or am I free to be the only person in this thread to nominate an animated tv show.

you’re good to nominate animated tv shows in this thread as long as it’s not an anime!

1 Like

Definitely Master of None, smart, funny, constantly challenging your expectations whilst feeling so organic and relatable (considering the show centres on a privileged gentrified New Yorker, eating out in NY’s finest restaurants every night). It just excels in exploring our generation’s mindset in really inventive ways, it creates the humour effortlessly where it can but isn’t afraid to really do the dramatic moments justice, like Dev’s long taxi ride back to his apartment. I think the 2nd season is better than the 1st.

I feel as if most of Netflix’s original shows start of with a great first season, but quickly become distinctly average with each season. I think they fall into the habit of making more seasons for the sake of it. You have that with House of Cards, Stranger Things 2 was never going to be as good as the first and the third season of Kimmy Schmidt felt a little undercooked. I feel Master of None and Bojack Horseman both buck the trend (if you’ll excuse the unintentional pun), probably some of the best TV asking challenging existentialist questions left, right and centre.

2 Likes

When, I sit back and think about it, GLOW was maybe my favorite wrestling thing in a year that was positively overflowing with historically good wrestling. I loved it to absolute bits and wished the first season had been twice as long as it was.

1 Like

Star Trek: Discovery

It’s new Trek and it’s not perfect, but it does so many things right. Trekkies are notorious nit-pickers, but the show does not deserve the bad rep it has in many places. The characters are interesting and far more developed than most Trek characters, the acting is usually fantastic (Harry Mudd is portrayed brilliantly and Anthony Rapp is a standout as well), the design overall fits 2017 really well (and I still hope that they will solve the Klingon redesign question), the Klingons finally speak Klingon, and the writing is mostly great, especially as the writers manage to have their cake and eat it too as the episodes each tell their own closed story and add to the larger narrative. The mid season finale was great, cannot wait for more.

Twin Peaks: The Return
My shadow is always with me, sometimes ahead, sometimes behind, sometimes to the left or sometimes to the right. Except on cloudy days or at night.

Twin Peaks

This is the water and this is the well. Drink full and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes and dark within.
This is the water and this is the well. Drink full and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes and dark within.

2 Likes

Another nomination for American Vandal.

It might have the most ridiculous premise for a TV show I’ve ever seen, but it’s so amazingly executed, and Tyler Alvarez is amazing throughout. Not only did I find it hilarious, but it gave me those “season one of Serial” vibes that really good True Crime shows do.

Seconding Crazy Ex-Girlfriend so hard. Rachel Bloom is magnificent, and the supporting cast is equally exceptional. The show is exploring narrative space that few shows dare tread and does it with humor, pathos, and top-notch musical numbers. It delves into issues regarding mental health, race, gender. and queerness with sensitivity, and the show incorporates these aspects so organically into the plot that it never becomes a slog “message” show that you feel obligated to watch. There’s quite simply nothing like it on TV, past or present.

2 Likes

The Sound of Your Heart (Netflix)

It takes an episode or two to find its legs, but we haven’t laughed so hard at any other show this year.

Master of None

I realize it has already qualified, but I just had to mention it again. Season 1 was amazing, but season 2 makes it look like child’s play. Episode 6: New York, I Love You is probably the most touching episode of television I’ve ever seen. Also appropriate given the day I’m posting this: episode 8 Thanksgiving is phenomenal. The overarching romance got me more invested than almost any other romance story ever.

I’m going to go ahead and nominate The Handmaid’s Tale, which was probably the most affecting bit of TV I’ve watched so far this year. My partner and I started out by watching along with the weekly release on Channel 4 but by the third episode we resorted to weird streaming sites to get our fix and ended up marathoning the rest in two evenings (which I don’t recommend as boy do you feel bleak…)

Honourable mention goes to Twin Peaks: The Return, which I did enjoy a lot but which I have a bit of a bone to pick with. A lot of discussion around the show was its surreal and cinematic style, and the idea of this being unheard of on TV… Somehow forgetting about Sorrentino’s The Young Pope?!? That show deserves more credit for being as odd as it was!

1 Like

I feel Twin Peaks: The Return being the greatest season of television ever earns it the Gilmy for Favourite TV Show. It’s already been nominated a dozen times, though so I’m gonna show Desus and Mero some love. It’s the #1 show in late night and has the most illustrious guests.

1 Like

Ok cool.

In that case:

Nomination: Steven Universe

The fanbase is awful, the show has lost a lot of its mystique since season 1 & 2, and I’m still uncertain about the general direction of the show going forward, but it’s still a fantastic show with great characters, lgbt friendly themes, and absolutely gorgeous art and animation.

1 Like

Ah fuck, Twin Peaks was already nominated a million times so I should’ve picked The Chris Gethard Show. Someone else do it!

I mean, you’re allowed to change your nomination at any time before the topic closes…

Desus and Mero

ok, twin peaks is my actual fav show, but twin peaks is already a shoe in, and furthermore DIE 4 THE HIVE

4 Likes

I’d like to second The Handmaid’s Tale.

Bojack Horseman has been my favourite show for the last few years but this season really elevated the show to a new level.

4 Likes

I’ll probably be the only person here to nominate it, but it has a special place in my heart. Wet Hot American Summer: Ten Years Later.

My wife introduced me to the movie, and I spread it through my circle of friends like a virus. The series manages to keep that absurdly stupid sense of humor going and embracing some of its hilariously worst parts for laughs.