The GILM Awards Favorite Chillout Game (Presented By Haypoint)

Haypoint Presents

Favorite Chillout Game

It’s been a long day for both of us. After a day like today, I just need to turn to this game to get back to normal.

What game captures that sentiment for you? What’s the first word in carefree and the last word in unwinding? What is your instinctive retreat on that relaxing Sunday morning? Would you go as far as to call your time ‘self-care’, maybe? It wouldn’t be too far afield. This is the category for the game that captures the essence of relaxation for you.

Inspired by our good friends at Haypoint, we want to ask you what your favored chillout experience of 2017 was. We’re looking for that game that drops the tension and lowers your blood pressure, bringing you into that too-mellow place.

Let’s put on our too-small straw hats and get to voting. To keep it chill for us, we’d like to ask y’all to bold your nomination when making your case. Beyond that, we’re all ears—let’s take a load off and talk until we’re flat out.

The GILM Awards — Waypoint Community Game of the Year II

I’ll start this one off with the one that I’ve been playing a lot of recently: Superflight. It’s $2.99 at full price on Steam, has no objectives other than “fly through and near cool things”, infinite replayability, and a wonderfully simple joy in its flight movements.

I would have liked some more structure and possibly some more control on the flight (not being able to turn sideways a la Starfox feels like a missed opportunity) but for what it is- and for the price- it’s basically unbeatable.

Made an account just to say this:
Slime Rancher

You just chill out with all your adorable slime pals, take care of them, give them toys, and go on cool adventures to collect more slimes. It’s my favorite game.

i’m seconding Slime Rancher

I may of reached the end of the progression but it’s a such a good game to just chill out and listen to podcasts with. Also the slimes are just wayyyyy too cute.

Hi hello here’s me with the dark horse for this category: PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds

I deal with a whole lot of generalized and social anxiety day-to-day, and this year has been particularly tough (both for personal reasons like finishing school and starting a new job, and for broader reasons like the world being completely on fire).

PUBG is a tense, relatively high-stakes game that definitely gets my heart pumping and the adrenaline going. But the reason I’ve kind of come to see it as a chillout game is that it’s getting my heart pumping and adrenaline going about something else.

I would never have predicted it but it’s actually been kind of a remarkable release valve for me this year. A place to sort of channel my anxiety safely and harmlessly. I get into a game, the tension gradually increases for 20-30 minutes until it reaches a fever pitch and I die, then I exhale and laugh at myself a bit, and then I queue for another one. And for all that time I’m not worrying about anything (everything) else.

Nomination: EVERYTHING

oh hey look I’m an electron that’s nice

oh hey look I’m an ant that’s nice

oh hey look I’m a donut that’s nice

oh hey look I’m a taxi that’s nice

oh hey look I’m a building that’s nice

oh hey look I’m a continent that’s nice

oh hey look I’m I’ve reached the ever-expanding universe that I’m encroaching on Nirvana an becoming the concepts of shape and time and now I’ve converged on a new universe where the previous universe’s galaxies were a part of this universe’s electrons…

that’s nice

My favorite chill out game for a good chunk of time this year was Destiny 2. After I had gotten the main story and high difficulty stuff, returning to do the daily and weekly challenges. I would just put on a podcast or music I’m listening to, turn my brain off, and grind for loot. It let me destress when I was just starting my new job and also kind of made me not hate the game as much for some of its shortcomings.

Heat Signature

Heat Signature is slightly easier Hotline Miami set in space with proc-gen spaceship bases and a piecemeal progression system which slowly unlocks new loot and puzzle missions for you to master at your leisure.

It’s really easy to boil it down because it’s just that simple. I have played Heat Signature for nearly 24 hours since purchasing it at the end of September. Most of those hours were paired with podcasts or twitch streams. You can slow time and pause it at any point so there’s no real sweat when it comes to tricky firefights or tight timing. Every time you complete a mission, a new series of missions generate. They range through difficulties so you can customize your play session to suit your level of engagement. There’s no stress (until there is, but don’t worry about that). Heat Signature rules. That is all.

Wiz Khalifa’s Weed Farm

I need gatcha / idle games in my life. I have a few, some of which are new, many of which are old. Of those that are new, some have stuck, others haven’t. This did. This really, really did. That’s all.

S/os to Dream Daddy and Hustle Cat though.

Seconding Destiny 2.

It came out the week before I was laid off from a high-stress job, and having something really substantial that felt good to just simply play for a few hours a day really helped me avoid sinking too deep into depression or self recrimination. The stream of rewards helped me feel like I was making progress in at least one way, and it was a fun game to just chat with a pal over while banging out a few patrols.

I’m at my most relaxed when I’m comfortably engaged, so while I can see why it’s not everybody’s cup of Sleepytime, for me it was just what the doctor ordered.

Cat Quest, which I think has been ported to PC and switch and stuff. I’ve got it for my iphone though and it’s a charming, single-player diablo-lite that’s got a surprising amount of depth to it. edit: I should add it’s blessedly free of any microtransaction bullshit.

@juv3nal Don’t forget to bold your nomination! :wink:

Rez Infinite

While it technically debuted as a PS4/PSVR game in 2016, it did have its PC debut this year, almost completely out of the blue, complete with VR support.

Rez Infinite is a remake/remaster of the Dreamcast classic, Rez, a rhythm-based rail shooter in which every player action contributes to the rhythm and beat of the stage. It’s got a vague cyberpunk story to sort of provide some context to curious players, but it’s made to generally look like a complex wireframe music visualizer, with abstract geometric shapes coming together to create everything within the game.

VR support is NOT needed to enjoy the game, but it certainly helps if you have access to that tech, as it adds a whole new level of depth to the game’s endearing abstract visuals, and kind of puts the player even closer to the music, which is the driving force of the game. It’s hard for me to justify, but the scant lyrics in the variety of electronic tracks throughout the game seem to all address existential themes, and the game seems to revolve around a notion of existence and purpose that feels a bit more enlightened that a standard arcade-esque game.

Once the game is completed on its normal, arcadey, 5-stage track, it unlocks a “Travelling” mode that allows players to replay the game with essentially God Mode enabled — the player cannot die in Travelling mode. This is what brings me back all the time, to just cyber-trip my way through Rez again and again and again, enjoying its music, its weird cyberpunky theme, its sublime audiovisual interconnection. I have a PSVR that makes that even more immersive and relaxing now, though again I must stress that the game was originally conceived as a 2D game and Infinite still operates in that fashion just fine.

I didn’t play the original Rez until its HD rerelease on Xbox Live Arcade for the 360, but I fell so in love with the game then that I’ve rebought it on every platform it’s appeared on since. It’s something of an all-time favorite of mine now, and Infinite not only adds VR support, but also introduces Area X, the first new Rez content since the game’s original release, and it sort of gives Rez a new “all-range” mode that was intended a bit more for VR play, but again works just fine without VR. Area X ups the visual quality as well, and rather than having it focus on a single musical track like the original stages, it jumps through a long-form medley mixed together from a few different songs. As a result, Area X feels almost like a complete and separate experience in itself, something of a Rez sequel prototype.

It’s the greatest package of Rez to date, and it comes highly recommended by me, especially if you want to just dive in and relax. It’s available on Steam, with a Fall Sale price of $14.99 (40% off its regular $24.99), and will likely be on sale again for the upcoming Winter Sale in December. It can be completed in one 2-hour sitting, but I feel like it has good replay value and provides several ways to replay through its content, such as the aforementioned Travelling Mode, but it also provides Score Attack Modes, Boss Rush Modes, leaderboards, etc… if that sort of approach is your dig.

Nomination: Picross S

I mean, it’s just another Picross game, but this time it’s on the chillest of all chillout platforms: the Switch.

Also it has an actually pretty rad two player mode option that me and my girlfriend played a ton of.

Didn’t come out this year but despite Zelda and Destiny 2 offering me great ways to rewind, it’s still Planet Coaster for me. Just sit down after a hard day of work, creating my themepark based on bad to average 90s movies.

Seconding Heat Signature

It’s such a pretty game, and the music is so relaxing, I often find myself dipping in for a mission or two late at night before bed.

Seconding Rez Infinite

Whenever it’s eligible, I have to go with Rez.

Love Nikki: Dress UP Queen
Played this thing right when I woke up, and usually checked it right before bed.

I second Picross S

Probably the best game to unwind and unpack your mind with this year.

In honor of one Robert Zacny, I nominate MLB The Show 17, but really it could be any modern iteration of The Show. Road to the Show mode is probably when I feel most zen-like when playing a game.